Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

Tell me more kind Sir.

250 gallons. Go big or go home. :D

Spill the beans!

60x15x15 rimless star fire? Yes please.

:)

Well, it is something that I have been considering for a while now. The only reason I picked this size tank when I started (despite it being the largest tank I ever had) was due to the lighting. I wanted to be able to light the tank as I was a poor University student with no income at the time. Now that I have had a secure income for almost 2 years now and am constantly looking at ways to make the tank 'better' i am entertaining the idea of a larger upgrade. it will also help with husbandry slightly and a larger tank can run slightly more autonomous.

My current tank is 20x20x18 inches in size which is just a tad under 30G when you factor in glass thickness. Currently I have a space of about 27x32 inches to play with as an overall foot print. I recently saw a new starter reef kit locally for around $700AUD which included everything bar sand, rock, and salt and is basically my tank but a little longer and a tad less deep. This got me thinking of my possibilities and today as I have the day off (man flue) I decided to measure things up.

So I am entertaining the idea of a wide and shallow tank as I love how they look and can get away with using slightly lower powered lighting. I am entertaining the 3 below sizes, in low iron of course ;).

24 x 31.5 x 16 = around 52G (depth x length x height)

24 x 31.5 x 18 = around 59G (depth x length x height)

24 x 31.5 x 20 = around 65G (depth x length x height)

Volume calculations not taking into account glass thickness.

18" is the same as my current depth but I'm not sure if I would go shallower.

As for lighting, I was thinking I could potentially get away with a pair of AI Primes but the depth would be my issue. I am wanting a SPS/LPS heavy tank with token zoas on the sand and potentially a small anemone island. my current tank has let me try pretty much every major coral species and I really know which direction I would like to take the tank in the future. I have also considered a pair of Hydra 26's, upgrading my Sol to a Hydra, a pair of Kessils and a NanoBox.

Considering a Gyre for water flow and getting rid of the MP10 as I have never truly been happy with it.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I think I'm leaning towards 24 x 31.5 x 18. I might go for a drive and get the ball rolling on a quote at a local place, I need to drop a few suits off at the dry cleaners anyway...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I went to get a quote yesterday for the tank with overflow, drilled for 2x 1" drains and a 3/4" return as well as a few stand and cabinet options. Still haven't seen pricing but they said it may take a few days due to the fluctuating cost of Low Iron glass. I have a feeling the low iron will be insane price wise so I am also considering using low iron for the front and two sides and keeping the base and rear in standard glass, the rear will be painted anyway and you wont see the base piece of glass.

I am leaning towards a simple wood or metal frame/stand that I can clad in wood myself. My uncle is a carpenter by trade with has his own spray booth so I can utilise him for cheap wood paneling and a slick 2pack paint finish.

They also said that with my dimensions and 6mm glass I would need euro bracing, could possibly go rimless with 10mm glass. My intention was to use 10mm for the base regardless for extra strength. I really dislike the look of bracing and would like to avoid it if at all possible.

I am going to do a budget over the weekend for what the tank & stand should cost, the cladding and all equipment. I can't see myself getting no change out of 2K for the upgrade if I were to go ahead. I do have a lot of coral frags to use as a deposit though...and a tax return in a few months...

Well, got that quote. 24x31.5x16, 10mm low iron glass, overflow drilled for 2x 1" drains and 1x 3/4" return with a basic stand will cost $1,830AUD, I literally laughed when the quote came through. Standard glass is about $1,400AUD. I know I can get it cheaper, wonder if I can get away with 6mm glass and a 10mm base.

At this stage, factoring this pricing into what I budgeted for (minus rock and sand), close to $4000 for the upgrade. Think I may hold off for now. If I can get the tank for say $600-$800 I'd gladly make a stand for it.

Ouch, that's quite pricey. You might be able to use 6mm glass on that size tank, seems to be on the border of OK using the thickness calculators - 6mm would probably be half the price, I know I was told here that 10mm would be roughly double the price. Maybe have a chat with them and see what they say.

Well, got that quote. 24x31.5x16, 10mm low iron glass, overflow drilled for 2x 1" drains and 1x 3/4" return with a basic stand will cost $1,830AUD, I literally laughed when the quote came through. Standard glass is about $1,400AUD. I know I can get it cheaper, wonder if I can get away with 6mm glass and a 10mm base.

At this stage, factoring this pricing into what I budgeted for (minus rock and sand), close to $4000 for the upgrade. Think I may hold off for now. If I can get the tank for say $600-$800 I'd gladly make a stand for it.

Is everything really expensive in Australia? I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Melbourne and he said he just got Netflix and it was about $40 US per month - I pay $8. Then again, the climate there is nicer than Michigan most of the year!

Ouch, that's quite pricey. You might be able to use 6mm glass on that size tank, seems to be on the border of OK using the thickness calculators - 6mm would probably be half the price, I know I was told here that 10mm would be roughly double the price. Maybe have a chat with them and see what they say.

Yeah I am definitely going to ask for a refresh of those prices with 6mm glass and the tank only. I'm also going to ask them to price me two options. 6mm glass with a 10mm base on both options. First option will be low iron on the front and two sides only. Second option will be standard glass all around. I think I have settled on the 400mm (16") depth also. I would really like a leopard wrasse though so I would consider going deeper and filling that space with additional sand. There is a second tank builder that is local to me I am going to approach, see what they say. That have been in the game a lot longer then the first shop I went to.

Is everything really expensive in Australia? I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Melbourne and he said he just got Netflix and it was about $40 US per month - I pay $8. Then again, the climate there is nicer than Michigan most of the year!

It depends what item it is. Anything imported is subjected to high taxes and tarrifs to support local manufacturing. Our cost to manufacture is way too high now and most everything is imported. A factory worker building our Holden cars was earning roughly 50-60k a year, hard not to go off shore with wages like that. And that is what has happened, as of 2018 (could be sooner) there will be no local production of cars within Australia. We also get taxed additionally on 'Luxury' items which makes imported goods more expensive. Netflix on the other hand isn't that bad. 3 packages starting from $8.99 a month and going as high as $14.99 a month. I pay $11.99 for Full HD and concurrent streaming on 2 devices. The weather definitely isn't something to complain about though ;).

In more tank news, I decided on my new return pump, I went with the Jebao DC-3000. This will also be more than adequate if I decide to proceed with the proposed upgrade. I have also decided to replace my MP10 with either a single Jebao RW-4 or RW-8, I will add a second of whichever one I choose when I decide to upgrade. It's hard to argue with the price when I can buy nearly 4 of the RW-4 pumps for the price I paid for the MP10. Silence is the biggest factor for me though, having the motor in the water is just so much quieter! The MP10 replacement isn't a necessity though and will probably only take place if I decide to upgrade the tank. The left over money from selling the MP10 can help fund the upgrade.

I emailed the second tank builder last night (also my favorite LFS) and they got back to me this morning, think we are on to a winner here.

Tank Option 1:

800x600x450 (31.5x24x18) 10mm rimless Low Iron = $680

Corner overflow with 2x 1" and 1x 3/4" holes = $169 (+$30 for removable overflow comb)

Tank Option 2:

800x600x450 (31.5x24x18) 10mm rimless Low Iron front and sides, standard glass base and rear = $465

Corner overflow with 2x 1" and 1x 3/4" holes = $169 (+$30 for removable overflow comb)

All plumbing is additional.

I asked about 6mm glass and they said that they could not build it without a central brace but with 10mm they would need no bracing at all. This quote is making it much harder to resist the upgrade...

HarryPotter

I emailed the second tank builder last night (also my favorite LFS) and they got back to me this morning, think we are on to a winner here.

Tank Option 1:

800x600x450 (31.5x24x18) 10mm rimless Low Iron = $680

Corner overflow with 2x 1" and 1x 3/4" holes = $169 (+$30 for removable overflow teeth)

Tank Option 2:

800x600x450 (31.5x24x18) 10mm rimless Low Iron front and sides, standard glass base and rear = $465

Corner overflow with 2x 1" and 1x 3/4" holes = $169 (+$30 for removable overflow teeth)

All plumbing is additional.

I asked about 6mm glass and they said that they could not build it without a central brace but with 10mm they would need no bracing at all. This quote is making it much harder to resist the upgrade...

Sweet pricing! I would go with option 2 personally. Why do you care what the rear/base is made of?!?! Save the $200 and buy an Apex JR!

Sweet pricing! I would go with option 2 personally. Why do you care what the rear/base is made of?!?! Save the $200 and buy an Apex JR!

That's the option I am leaning towards also. Base wont be seen as the custom stand will rise up around it slightly and the rear will be up against a wall with either a black or pale blue backing. $200 is a worthy saving and essentially pays for the overflow. No Apex for me though, they are starting to trickle into the market and cost a bucket load more over here then they do on your side of the pond. Only controller I will have are for the heaters and some timers for lights and pumps etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Following along :) Great tank thread!

Thanks Stella :). Sadly this tank will be broken down in the next month or so (possibly sooner) as I have started a new build. I'll make sure to post a final FTS before that date though.

Thanks Stella :). Sadly this tank will be broken down in the next month or so (possibly sooner) as I have started a new build. I'll make sure to post a final FTS before that date though.

I'm always late to the party!

• 1 month later...

It has been a really long time since I have updated this thread so here we go! I have been slowly getting rid of my soft corals in preparation for shutting this tank down. I have been helping a friend stock a small tank for his parents and he has been getting some mushies and zoa frags from me. In terms of algae, I am finally on top of it and my parameters are spot on also. I still have GHA but it is in its final stages of starvation and is dying off more an more every week. I have altered what I feed and when to ensure that I stay on top of the nutrients and I have changed my water change routine to try and get the tank as clean as possible before I have to temporarily move it.

The new tank is still on order, has taken them longer then they said it would to build but I am fine with that, I am still finishing off the stand. The stand build is going well, a few hurdles as always but I'm in the final stages of it all I think.

As for a final FTS, with how sparse everything is looking right now, I don't think there will be one :(.

I had the day off work today (home sick) so I decided to pull the sump apart and give it all a really good clean. I also pulled out as much algae as I could and cleaned the glass properly for the first time in god knows when. Besides periodic water changes this tank has gotten a lot of neglect as I plan its replacement. It is good to see it cleaned up and looking a little happier. Having a fully functioning skimmer is a bonus also ;).

For what will most likely be the last time, here is the current FTS.

4ouwgW.jpg

Looking forward to the new tank man. omgomgomg Really dig the Cardinals.

Thanks Shaun, so am I :). I still haven't heard from the builder yet after placing the order, they had a few big builds on the go so mine got pushed down the list a bit. I'm still building the stand so I'm not really fussed with it taking longer than expected. The cardinals have been great, I started with 3 but 1 died while i was away at the start of the year. The remaining 2 are at least double the size they were when I first got them.

The new tank is gonna be awesome!

Thanks :D, can not wait for the stand to be finished so I can get it in place in anticipation of the new tank arriving.

You've got some serious zoa colonies going in there that will look great in the new upgrade. Glad to see one final FTS of this tank. It looks smaller than I remember for some reason.

You've got some serious zoa colonies going in there that will look great in the new upgrade. Glad to see one final FTS of this tank. It looks smaller than I remember for some reason.

Thanks Felicia :). The zoas have really taken off and recently they have had the best colour I have ever seen. Particularly the fire and ice zoas I have had for about 18 months. Really intense red skirt with flecked blue/white mouth. The tank does look smaller now though, particularly as I am emptying it, the perspective of the last FTS is also a little different making the tank look smaller.

Fire and ice zoas are one of my favorites. Those will look great in the new tank!

Yeah it must be the perspective of that last shot, because it looked so much smaller. I forget, how big is the new tank going to be?

Archived