Coral Vue Hydros

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

Fire and ice zoas are one of my favorites. Those will look great in the new tank!

Yeah it must be the perspective of that last shot, because it looked so much smaller. I forget, how big is the new tank going to be?

I never though much of them initially as they were quite dull but now i love them :).

The new tank will be 31.5" x 24" x 18", 55G in volume.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following! Supporting the aussie members on this forum! Also dude.. where did you get that mp10 shield?????

Thanks :). This tank wont be up for much longer though, I have a new project I am working on. I got the MP10 shield direct from PicO who makes them in the states. Naqua were selling them also but I'm pretty sure they have shut down. I'll be getting rid of my MP10 soon (not using it on the new build) so if you are interested I'd be happy to sell it when I get around to pulling it off this tank. I was going to bundle it with the MP10 for sale but will be happy to split it.

• 2 weeks later...

With the 3 year anniversary of this tank falling soon I thought I would take some pictures and play around with my new camera.

Starting things off with an average FTS.

zhWzRt.jpg

I pulled a rock as it was covered with hair algae and had some aiptasias growing on it. It's soaking in a bucket of fresh water in preparation for a good scrub, I want to use it in the new tank.

In the last couple of weeks I picked up two new zoas, both of them look crazy under actinic light.

GvLR5t.jpg
WAMgdK.jpg

I then tried my hand at a few macro shots.

TXvtbz.jpg
XS0nFP.jpg

6YHtON.jpg
vgkXFH.jpg

pu7lXy.jpg
s3qiae.jpg
7RCweH.jpg

A few more shots.

zlNRu3.jpg
ZGuq3S.jpg

Sfmn8q.jpg
KpOCzM.jpg
fPsSUw.jpg

hnOOmU.jpg
RG1nee.jpg

Fishies!

pv4CSv.jpg

eKXyno.jpg

ggPTS4.jpg
MQdsRU.jpg

DzN0r0.jpg

kVBTM8.jpg

l6KqpL.jpg

I'm really pleased that I have gotten the tank to where it is today. 3 years I think is a big achievement for a first time reefer. Many lessons learned and much experience gained. The new camera worked flawlessly, much faster than my previous one and being able to create custom shooting profiles is fantastic. Gone are the days where I need to spend 5mins setting the camera up to shoot the tank, it's as simple as turning the mode dial to the right custom profile and I'm good to go :D.

Very lovely set up. Gratz on three years.

Congrats jase!!!!Awesome job..tank looks great and healthy.

Thanks Eugene, the softies are really enjoying the high nutrients, now I just need to get the algae under control. I pulled a ton of GHA out this weekend.

I agree...looks very healthy! So many lush zoas omgomgomg. That head on photo of your clownfish is adorable :wub:.

Thank you Gena :D. I do like that picture, one of my favorite ones. I also love the last picture of Mandy :wub: .

I missed the update,

grats on 3 years! The pictures look terrific, nice and clear and the white balance looks perfect.

Thanks Mark.

I have found it best to make the camera shoot with a white balance of 10k (max my camera will shoot at) and an auto ISO or intelligent ISO. I then use Photoshop or Lightroom to increase the white balance to between 12k and 15k to get the most natural color rendition. This makes it so much easier for me to bulk or even batch edit photos before doing minor colour or saturation tweaks.

Looks like Image Shack is having some serious issues so the photos aren't working. I hope they get their act together soon. May look at a new service going forward. Don't really want to bulk upload images again.

With the 3 year anniversary of this tank falling soon I thought I would take some pictures and play around with my new camera.

Starting things off with an average FTS.

zhWzRt.jpg

I pulled a rock as it was covered with hair algae and had some aiptasias growing on it. It's soaking in a bucket of fresh water in preparation for a good scrub, I want to use it in the new tank.

In the last couple of weeks I picked up two new zoas, both of them look crazy under actinic light.

GvLR5t.jpg

WAMgdK.jpg

I then tried my hand at a few macro shots.

TXvtbz.jpg

XS0nFP.jpg

6YHtON.jpg

vgkXFH.jpg

pu7lXy.jpg

s3qiae.jpg

7RCweH.jpg

A few more shots.

zlNRu3.jpg

ZGuq3S.jpg

Sfmn8q.jpg

KpOCzM.jpg

fPsSUw.jpg

hnOOmU.jpg

RG1nee.jpg

Fishies!

pv4CSv.jpg

eKXyno.jpg

ggPTS4.jpg

MQdsRU.jpg

DzN0r0.jpg

kVBTM8.jpg

l6KqpL.jpg

I'm really pleased that I have gotten the tank to where it is today. 3 years I think is a big achievement for a first time reefer. Many lessons learned and much experience gained. The new camera worked flawlessly, much faster than my previous one and being able to create custom shooting profiles is fantastic. Gone are the days where I need to spend 5mins setting the camera up to shoot the tank, it's as simple as turning the mode dial to the right custom profile and I'm good to go :D.

Looking at this picture.. just reminds me of what i did this morning. abit grim and i feel bad.

Water change and i siphoned the back..not realizing i sucked up my female mandy.. But.. there was some positives.. got to see how big and fat her belly was.. but for about 20 minutes.. tank was covered like a web in her slime from sucking her up..

Note: your tanks looking real good man. those zoas are popping.. makes me feel like adding a varity or two in..

Looking at this picture.. just reminds me of what i did this morning. abit grim and i feel bad.

Water change and i siphoned the back..not realizing i sucked up my female mandy.. But.. there was some positives.. got to see how big and fat her belly was.. but for about 20 minutes.. tank was covered like a web in her slime from sucking her up..

Note: your tanks looking real good man. those zoas are popping.. makes me feel like adding a varity or two in..

Thanks buddy :). Yeah I always have to be careful of Mandy, can be very easy to lose track of where she is when siphoning out water. Definitely one of my favorite fish in the hobby, I would hate for anything to happen to her. Out of all soft corals I would have to say zoas and rics are my favorites. All my colonies started off as 5-10 heads max and have grown huge over the years. Some definitely grow faster than others but the patterns and colours make for a fantastic addition to any reef. They are also really hardy which is great :).

Love the Mandy pics tanks looking great!

Thanks buddy :). Finally starting to see a huge die off in the algae that has been plaguing me. Trying to get everything as clean as possible before I inevitably need to move the tank to put the new one in place.

i been thinking about banning zoas from my next tank since they are such hit / miss. But after seeing your pics, I am having second thoughts =P

That's really odd. I have never had any series issues with zoas/palys. I have had 1 frag melt away (neon green of some kind) but besides that it has all been smooth sailing. The below colony was the very first coral I purchased for this tank almost 3 years ago, started off as about 5 heads and is now 30+. Still one of the favorite ones I have, I love the mottled pattern :wub: . Give them another shot ;), you know you want to :naughtydance: .

6YHtON.jpg

vgkXFH.jpg

Congrats on 3 years! The tank looks so healthy and happy and I am sure the upgrade will be beautiful as well.

Three years? that's something to be proud of! Congrats. Your tank is looking mighty nice too.

Thanks :). I'm really happy to have made it to 3 year. To be honest, I didn't think I would get there on the first shot :).

tank look very healthy!

Got a new thread yet for the new tank?

Thanks Giga :). New tank thread is in my sig, check out the below link.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/362180-rollajases-trip-off-the-deep-end-custom-rimless-55g/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, all good things must come to an end. Tank is officially offline as of 9th January 2016. Never fear, new tank profile can be found in my signature.

Final FTS below, taken a few days before tear down:

rBwvd4.jpg

SL9KRC.jpg

End.

Archived