• VorTech MP10
  • Hydor Slim Skim Nano
  • AI Sol Blue w/ Controller
  • Aqueon Pro 100w Heater

Livestock

• True Percula Clownfish
  • Black and White Clownfish
  • Zebra Bar Dartfish

I've decided to get rid of my 8 gallon nuvo for something a little larger. My 40 Breeder is actually in my parents basement and I miss having a tank that I don't have to drive 15 minutes to see, so I thought a 20L would be the perfect size for my apartment. So I'm getting rid of my 8 gal and my 28 bowfront (freshwater).

Originally I had wanted to light it with some par 30 bulbs, since I already had one from BoostLED but trying to figure out how many I would need got to be a bit tedious as there was no general consensus. So I bit the bullet and bought this:

f2aynDzl.jpg

Today I'm going to start work on the stand. I hope to have this thing wet a.s.a.p because the whole reason I even need a bigger tank than my 8 gallon is a little true perc that I inherited. I was working on my 40 when my brother came home with a friend of his and had a true perc with them. It was from the kid's mom's tank and she no longer wanted it. I couldn't put him in the display because my clowns would eat him up, but he was far too big to even hold up in my 8 gallon, so the poor little guy, whose name is Blue, has been living in my sump with a naughty coral banded shrimp. I'd really like to get the tank cycling so that Blue can have a new home in a few months.

As far as additional livestock I plan on using this tank to get more experience with SPS, as they still make me really nervous outside of birdsnest corals. Of course I'll have zoas too. I want to get Blue a black and white buddy, and then maybe a goby of some sort, but that's far in the future. I also have a porcelain crab in my 8 gallon, but the YCG that was in there stopped eating about 3 weeks ago and I haven't seen him since. Bummer.

I'll post some pictures of the stand progress later, thanks for looking! :)

Sounds like a plan! Looking forward to the stand pics.

Well today was such a nice day that I didn't get too much done because I opted for a hike with my dogs instead, but I did finish the frame.

9wj8wi9l.jpg

I also got everything I need to finish the stand up while I was at Home Depot and Yankeepete let me know that my AIO kit would ship on Monday! So hopefully this time next weekend I can get this thing wet. I plan to finish the stand by Monday or Tuesday. I actually decided to wrap it in wainscoting, which I know is weird and a personal choice but I think it might look nice.

Question: I bent some conduit tubing in order to hang the Ai SOL but I'm not sure what to use to hang it with... they have a hanging kit but I'm not sure if it would work the way I want it to. I'm also curious how high I need to hang it. I guess I've got more research to do! :P

Anna,

Looks like you are off to a great start. Nice work on the stand too!!! As luck would have it I boxed your AIO unit up only to realize the post office is closed today for the holiday. It will be ready to go tomorrow!!!

Tim

Well today was such a nice day that I didn't get too much done because I opted for a hike with my dogs instead, but I did finish the frame.

9wj8wi9l.jpg

I also got everything I need to finish the stand up while I was at Home Depot and Yankeepete let me know that my AIO kit would ship on Monday! So hopefully this time next weekend I can get this thing wet. I plan to finish the stand by Monday or Tuesday. I actually decided to wrap it in wainscoting, which I know is weird and a personal choice but I think it might look nice.

Question: I bent some conduit tubing in order to hang the Ai SOL but I'm not sure what to use to hang it with... they have a hanging it but I'm not sure if it would work the way I want it to. I'm also curious how high I need to hang it. I guess I've got more research to do! :P

I had my AI SOL Blue over a 20L. If you are using an AIO that is shortening the length of the tank you should be able to go with 6-8 inches above the water line, still get the spread you want and not have to switch out for the wider optics like I did. I was about 6-8 inches above the water line, and even with the wider optics, had a hard time getting light to spread across the entire 30 in. length of the tank - it was good for about 26 inches of useful light spread (without frying stuff directly below the unit).

Its a great light but ramp it up slowly. At that 6-8 inch mark I had it only about 40% across the W/B/RB I think... I cranked it up to above 45% of each and fried a birdsnest pretty badly... and my duncans in the sand were barely coming out. It is a very powerful fixture. Even now I only have it up to 50 something and that is 8 in above a tank that is 20 in deep... BTW, caveat emptor, i am still working this out myself, I am by no means an expert with this fixture so don't take this as gospel!

Hope that helps!

Anna,

Looks like you are off to a great start. Nice work on the stand too!!! As luck would have it I boxed your AIO unit up only to realize the post office is closed today for the holiday. It will be ready to go tomorrow!!!

Tim

I realized that too this morning, no big deal, I still have a ways to go before the stand is completed. I'm super excited to get it though :)

I had my AI SOL Blue over a 20L. If you are using an AIO that is shortening the length of the tank you should be able to go with 6-8 inches above the water line, still get the spread you want and not have to switch out for the wider optics like I did. I was about 6-8 inches above the water line, and even with the wider optics, had a hard time getting light to spread across the entire 30 in. length of the tank - it was good for about 26 inches of useful light spread (without frying stuff directly below the unit).

Its a great light but ramp it up slowly. At that 6-8 inch mark I had it only about 40% across the W/B/RB I think... I cranked it up to above 45% of each and fried a birdsnest pretty badly... and my duncans in the sand were barely coming out. It is a very powerful fixture. Even now I only have it up to 50 something and that is 8 in above a tank that is 20 in deep... BTW, caveat emptor, i am still working this out myself, I am by no means an expert with this fixture so don't take this as gospel!

Hope that helps!

Yeah I actually found a thread with a 20L and an AI Sol Blue, I copied their programming and it only ever gets up to 36% of B/RB and less of white. Thank you for the input though, I had no idea how high to hang this thing. I got an AIO unit that goes on the back of the tank (I wanted all 30" of viewing space) so I may have to hang it slightly higher than you did. I'll just have to play around with it.

Well that stand is made in america.

:P

Bad Fish Reef Systems AIO kit came yesterday! I'm so excited I could squeal. It's even better than I could have imagined, awesome build quality, great packaging and the middle compartment is large enough that I have a wide range of protein skimmer options.

I'll post a full review soon but I just couldn't wait to share. I love it, thank you SOOO much, Tim!

:D

• 1 month later...

Okay I know I haven't updated but I swear I will soon! I just need some input on this: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/03/06/ai-upgrade-kit-sol-vega-led-preorder-shipping-month/

I like my AI Sol Blue a lot, but the idea of a more full spectrum light seems to make me giddy. Would a VEGA support SPS on a 20 Long? It seems like a good idea but I'm pretty inept when it comes to LED technology so I figured I'd ask here.

• 2 months later...

Archived