inTank Media Baskets

Reef Jar to Zen Reef

AnthonyPf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the good tips. I am actually having much better success.

Since I added the ATO the Gorgs open much more often.

For the last few days I have had full polyp extension on both the red and yellow.

They seem to be really sensitive to the salinity. The salinity got just a tad low the other day. Not enough to effect any other member of the tank but the yellow gorg did not open all day.

They are becoming the prize of my tank. I will have to look into getting some dendros.

Nice.. i'm in the works of doing a 7.5g NPS tank. So just looking for positive feedback on survivability and what to feed.

I really like Fauna Marine product. Between the LPS pellets, the gorg food (Min F) and the Sea Fan food I have had great success.

• 5 weeks later...
Looks great, although I miss the jar too...

I am contemplating starting a low maintenance jar myself...

I now want to start something similar, too.

I do miss the jar some days and I am so glad it is gone others. It was very hard to keep stable.

There are some new updates on the Zen Nano. I ended up getting a High Fin Red Banded Goby & Russell Pistol Shrimp.

They were already a pair when I got them. They were put in the tank about 2 weeks ago. I only see them at feeding time and have established a whole network of tunnels under the primary rock.

I can not wait until they become slightly more established and come out more regularly. I still have not been able to get a camera shot of them.

Here is a FTS, I will try to snap some pics of the shrimp and goby soon!

TgNkrIe.jpg

So I was just not happy with the position of my Gorg. It never seemed to have great polyp extension. Last night I moved him out from with more flow. Hopefully it can handle a little higher light.

It is still really pissed off but here is a pic of the new placement: (I also moved my monti to a more visible spot)

ahg62CV.jpg

I am running 2 JBJ Oceanstream circulation pumps/powerheads.

The kit included a Duo Wavemaker kit.

So really only one pump is on at a time. Makes a great wave current.

I did have a lot of sand built up in the front and it all blew toward the back. Now that everything is settled the sand does not move anymore.

I think I would be disappointed with the flow from these pumps if my tank was not so small. Koralia makes much better pumps but the JBJ is perfect for the application.

Thanks for thinking my tank is sweet!

• 10 months later...

hi just read through your post, nice tank btw!

was curious whats your maintenance schedule and clean up crew consist of? can't remember if you mentioned earlier in the post. also do you run an ATO setup?

Hey Heather, thanks for the nice comments. My schedule is pretty easy. I change a about 8 cups of water a week on different days. I do have an RO/DI unit and a tank at home so I use that for changes.

There are some pretty cool pics of my auto top off on the first page of the thread. I use a JBJ ATO.

My clean up crew is only one hermit. There is a pistol shrimp in there but I am not sure he does much cleaning.

Seems like you are running a similar set up!

Archived