Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

Tank Specs: 40g Display and 60g Total Started on 4/22/13

........................................................................................................................................................................................
Tank: 36" x 15" x 18" Custom 1/2" Glass Tank with Front Starphire Panel and 4" False Back Overflow By Miracles

Stand: Black DIY Cabinet

Sump: 30" x 18" x 22" Custom Acrylic Sump w/ Cover by Greenwich Aquaria

Lighting: 5x 39w T5 Bulbs

Supplemental Lighting: 2x 445nm/Magenta Panarama Pro Modules

Water Movement: Ecotech MP40 ES (90%) and a Sicce Syncra 3.0 for (714 GPH Return)

Heater: 150w Jager Hooked up to RKL

Skimmer: SWC Xtreme Cone 160

Reactor: Vertex RX-Z 1.5 ZEOlite Media Reactor

Electronics: Reef Keeper Lite Plus and an American DJ Power Center

Sand: 50lbs of Tropic Eden Miniflakes

Salt Mix: Reef Crystals

Auto Top Off: JBJ connected to a Maxijet 1200 and 5g Reservoir (I go through 10gals a week approx.)

Water Changes: 25% Weekly (10g)

Future Purchases: Kamoer Doser & Additional Circulator

........................................................................................................................................................................................

My Camera

Nikon D5100 with Stock Lens and Tripod

For Macro Shots I use my Canon 52mm 500D Close-up Lens

Dosing (Under Revisions)

ZeoStart: 6 Drops Daily

ZeoBak:2 Drops Daily

ZeoFood: 4 Drops Weekly
KZ SpongePowe: 8 Drops Weekly
Lugol's Iodine: 4 Drops Weekly
Coral Vitalizer: 2 Drops Weekly

Click this to see how the dosing is spread out (Post #26)
Feeding Schedule

Lighting Schedule Bulb Layout (Back to Front)

09:00 LED's turn on ATI Blue+

10:00 Blue + turn on ATI Coral +

11:00 Coral + Purple + and Super Acticnic turn on UVL Super Actinic

18:00 Coral + Purple + and Super Acticnic turn off LED's

19:00 Blue + turn off ATI Purple +

20:00 LED's turn off ATI Blue +

Livestock

No fish at the moment

3x Banded Trochus Snails
5x Astrea Snails
2x Nassarius Snails
3x Tiger Conches
7x Blue-Legged Hermirts
2x Acro Crab

1x Emerald Crab

FTS - 2 Days Old (4.24.13)

14607886089_d8f1b44de2_b.jpg

FTS - 35 Days Old (5.26.13)

14771553706_ea944aca97_b.jpg

FTS - 75 Days Old (7.7.13)

14791425781_8626d51ab2_b.jpg

FTS - 120 Days Old (8.16.13)

14771557596_9cc9905165_b.jpg

FTS - 150 Days Old (9.16.13)
9777370614_72ff098c5f_b.jpg

FTS - 200 Days Old (11.6.13)

10733365583_f792429c89_b.jpg

FTS - 250 Days Old (12.27.13)
11596283023_8ed9c66ce3_b.jpg

FTS - 300 Days Old (2.16.14)
12616729223_9962341b89_b.jpg

FTS - 420 Days Old (6.16.14)
14533572033_11c48b5fe5_b.jpg

FTS - 460 Days Old (7.26.14)14607644180_93d351a2a4_b.jpg

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...

DSC_0025_zps15176a99.jpg

Sorry to be negative, but that tank looks like a sump to me........

Seriously, I bet this thing is gonna be killer!

• Like 2

Perfection takes time my friend :P

The tank is shipping sometime this week. I'm trying to have everything ready to go when it arrives...

Until then, teasers :D

Edit: For more pics you can check out my light and stand build threads (links are in 1st post and in my sig)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Sand
  • Reef Keeper Lite Plus
  • LED Supplies
  • American DJ Power Center
  • T5 Bulbs

All have been ORDERED! Dropped about a grand over the weekend...

Stand is 3/4 way done

Tank has not arrived yet

Water (with bioballs) is in a large bin with a pump and heater

I even have coral, fish, and rock on stand by ready to go. I want to be ready and get going ASAP. I think you want me to as well

I am still waiting on heater (although I do have 2 old ones if need be) and my return pump

New update, I'm very upset. I got the tank from miracles and it looks great, no scratches/chips seemingly proportional

I put a tape measurer to the tank to discover that it is 20" wide total (five or so inches of that making up the false back)

It turns out that my spec email was miss interpreted...

Here is what I sent (I took out the two sentence intro, the thanks, and a inquiry on shipping costs)...

---------------------------------------------------------------

-36" L 20" W 18" T
-Rimless, glass except for one starphire panel located in the front
-Black false back with teeth, four inches wide (making 24" wide total), the real back can be clear
-One 1" Drain on the far left and one 3/4 return hole on the far right
Thank you,
Spencer M******

------------------------------------------------------------

I also (after getting a quote) got 1/2" glass and the total w/shipping the price was close to a grand

I was not clear enough about the total outside dimensions and that resulted in a 20" wide tank total

This sucks seeing that I got rock, sand, and prepared fish for a bigger tank

I also got the sump built planning for that size, and built my lights and stand in relation to the 36" 24" 18" tank

I got an MP40 with that size tank in mind (still can use it thankfully)

I guess you could say I learned an expensive lesson, just figured that they would at least email to clarify with on the specs if there was any confusion. I don't what to say, I just need to make the best of what I got. So that's why the tank will look the way it does.

They also switched the drains making the return 1" and the drain 3/4", I can work around that however...

Please be respectful to both me and miracles if you do care to comment on this, thx.

Fuge Light

file_zps43075a30.jpg

My DJ Power Center (What a steal for $30!)

file_zps99b3d13a.jpg

Some bulbs I got to tryout to go with the LED's

file_zpse233dc7d.jpg

60lbs of Miniflakes

file_zps4b912bb0.jpg

RKL PLUS

file_zps7b07efe6.jpg

file_zps87cd838e.jpg

file_zps66d52d3c.jpg

MP40 ES

DSC_0026_zps1d309114.jpg

Well after some fighting and thinking, I am stuck with the tank I got.

You could drown in the irony of this situation that was supposed to be a "60g tank done right" and now is only 40g due to a typo

The Cons:

-Smaller Tank=Less/Smaller Fish=no more dreams of butterflies/tangs ):

-Less depth and much harder to aqua scape takes away some of the beauty

-The stand I built is now significantly larger than what is needed

-Paid close to a grand for what I thought was a 36" x 24" x 18" tank and didn't get want I wanted

-The return and drain hole are switched making plumbing more complicated (you'll see what I'm saying)

The Pros

-No More Waiting!

-My sump is now proportionally bigger

-The light and MP40 are now super powerful for this tank meaning it will be a super charged SPS haven

-Might just stick with my current skimmer, no upgrade

Now that the tank is here I expect to be fully operationally/cycling by the 21st (I have 9 days of April break to work on this)

I so far have a Purple Granulosa, Blue Tort, Ice Fire Echinata, tiny Bali Tri Color, Limeade Shortcake Acro, my old Spongodes, and one really nice purple/pink looking acro saved up ready to go ass far as SPS goes.

I have a serious Q...

Can my floor support the tank?

It is on the second floor of our house, where my old one was (half the size, light stand, acrylic)

my empty 1/2" thick glass tank weighs a significant amount, and the stand weighs more

With water and rock I may have an elevator shaft in my room

Is there any way/trick to test the floor without tearing the carpet/floor up?

Simply check the blueprints?

It is up against the wall which may help, plus the stand bottom is flat so the weight is slightly distributed.

Bump.jpg

I am finishing my stand this week, I bought the foam, just need to make a flat surface and secure the formica = 2hrs max

Plumb the tank = 2hrs max

Then I'm done, I have rock water, sand, pumps, heaters, lighting, tank sump, etc.

Even premium corals. You'll love this...

I'm going to post a poll of about 5 aqua scapes for the forum to vote on, spread this around, I want a lot of people voting!

All of them look VERY NICE, a bit minimalist (negative space for fish) and catering towards SPS

• Like 1

Here is where the tank stands... :D

Working on plumbing today and tomorrow, most of the connections are curing overnight. My goal was to get the tank running before the end of Spring Break which I think I will make barely! :D

Here is the Spin Stream I am modding, when done it will be doing 40 degree rotations directly at the SPS

Due to the manufacturing error plumbing was a bit more complicated, to help keep things compact and save pressure I am using flex pipe for the return line

I also am touching up the stand, those are sand paper marks, the door won't be on for a while b/c I am working inside a lot...

I also set up the electronics portion (RKL and DJ)

I will definitely be zip tying a few wires...

file_zps5f3b17a3.jpg

file_zps568b82f5.jpg

file_zps4f477fae.jpg

file_zps76a6f9f2.jpg

file_zpsafdedea7.jpg

• Like 1

I added rock and sand to the tank after plumbing was finished.

Started to add water, a flex pipe connection in the return line was leaking bad

Now the tank is 3/4 of the way full and stagnant, I will be able to fix the problem by 12:00 tomorrow

I have a few inverts and a Twin Spot Sifter Goby in a bucket with a heater, a pump, and bioballs ready to go

I originally put the #2 scape in, however I think I'll change it b/c with the sand the V shape looks retarded

Thanks

I'm battling some leaks, the PVC Flex Pipe connections aren't to secure

Plus I had to use an old/used bulkhead which is also leaking

Nothing catastrophic

Nice!!!!

But don't get a garden eel, they need a dsb at least 8", lots of feeding, and peaceful tankmates.

Believe me, I know their requirements, in fact I make a living out of their requirements.

I get essentially try one for free and see how it does. The tank we keep them in (sometimes for over two months) is a junky 15 gal with an inch of sand. Granted, it is not close to their preferred conditions but their are plenty of things in this hobby that are unexplainable. We'll see what happens.

I got what I need to fix the leak, doing a 30% water change as well

I have about 8 SPS pieces saved away in my frag bank, getting three more PREMIUM pieces from Cherry Corals and four more large pieces from Cultivated Reefs. Over $500 worth of large frags basically and the tank is technically started.