Coral Vue Hydros

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

• 5 months later...

Hey peeps, I'm still alive.

Enjoying summer, working, getting ready for college. (Met a girl ;D )

Took down the tank o: since I wasn't gonna have it up for college. It was getting ugly xD since I wasn't giving it much love.

Still keeping up the freshwater though! It's a lot cheaper and takes about an hour of maintenance every two weeks lol.

You can check that out here <--

I had a lotta fun with the tank, saw some corals get pretty big, got the chance to care for a whole bunch of amazing fish. I will certainly get another saltwater tank after college!

Thank you for all your support and interest! Let me know if you have any questions or want advice about something!

-S :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Doing great at UConn!

For those curious:

Class of 2019, Material Science and Engineering Major, Honors Program

Also named a STEM Scholar, which was amazing!

Heavy science course load, staying in shape and keeping on top of my academics :)

That girl and I are still going strong...and she wants to become a hobbyist! O:

Say good bye to the wife factor if we got that far lol.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I sketched a aquarium recently and just thought I'd post it here for fun :3

I'm not an artist lol, don't really sketch ever, never been taught. The sketch was inspired by Mizune's tank recently featured on RB.

21444901088_030616d00f.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

What schooling fish do you guys think I should put in my ADA tank?

Pygmy rasbora vs. harlequin rasbora vs. Beckford's pencilfish vs. ember tetra ?

I favor pygmy's but my tank may be a bit bright for them.

Tight school preferable ofc.

49513047503_03fefd61e8_k.jpg

• 2 months later...

I went with Pygmy Rasbora's and they were ultra small and delicate. Did not ship well I'm afraid. 20% DOA and then 80% mortality in first 48 hours. I'd rather just go with Harlequin rasbora's next time and save myself the money.

NEWS - Due to a career change (going to grad school), I will soon be "locked into" a city for a long enough time to justify setting up a saltwater tank! I didn't set one up in Alabama because I wasn't planning to settle here...excited to get back into SPS with a high tech nano tank.

High tech so it can autopilot for a week or two. Small because I'll still probably move around apartments.

Maybe Red Sea Reefer 170? 

• Like 3

What do people think about the Aquaforest 1-2-3 system in comparison to the Red Sea or Trident systems? (particularly for SPS)

Currently thinking:

- RS Reefer 170 

- Mitras LX7

- GHL Doser 2.1 

- Two 330 Maxspect Gyre's 

- Return...maybe Varios-2? A bit expensive but I don't see Sicce getting much love. 

I'm thinking about going skimmer-less (I think I'll need the nutrients) but, if I change my mind, maybe Bubble Magnus C5. 

I'm a RS fanboy,I have always loved it. I honestly haven't seen THAT many people use AF stuff. I despised their reef salt,but that is just me. 

The rest of the stuff sounds perfect though. 

I also can't lie,I always forget you even have an account here anymore lmao. Forever disappearing then popping back up for a few days then vanish again 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

I'm a RS fanboy,I have always loved it. I honestly haven't seen THAT many people use AF stuff. I despised their reef salt,but that is just me. 

The rest of the stuff sounds perfect though. 

I also can't lie,I always forget you even have an account here anymore lmao. Forever disappearing then popping back up for a few days then vanish again 

I've seen a couple AF acro systems with good results but I have no reason to doubt the RS system. I just want to make sure I actually use the salt that goes with the additives (makes sense).

And fair enough lol. I stopped being active daily once I broke down my last "real" tank (this thread) - the simple tank I had during college (which was back home) wasn't worth posting and this isn't the site for freshwater system I have up now. Imma stop by your threads now and see what's up. 😄 

• Like 1

Oh I have too. R2R has a few I have seen. I'm personally not a fan,but I can't take away from the success stories. I just know what works for me in the past. 

I remember this tank,the college tank and was there a nano at one point and time ?! Psht,I have nothing going on. I JUST moved 2 weeks ago,had another baby last Wednesday so my pico is sitting empty at the moment. 

• Like 1
On 4/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Oh I have too. R2R has a few I have seen. I'm personally not a fan,but I can't take away from the success stories. I just know what works for me in the past. 

I remember this tank,the college tank and was there a nano at one point and time ?! Psht,I have nothing going on. I JUST moved 2 weeks ago,had another baby last Wednesday so my pico is sitting empty at the moment. 

Sounds like no sleep. Maybe I use RS CP salt and try the Triton 1, 2, 3a, 3b system.

What do you guys think of my updated signature? Figured if I start being active again, I better work on my branding lol. 

1. Recommendations for a container with a rectangular base and good lid?

Looking for something that will easily transport in the back of my car, I can cycle rock in and I can mix water in (maybe ~20g volume?)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Tough-Storage-Bin-in-Black-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361 ? 

2. Recommendations for some gnarly skinny/small rock pieces? Closest thing I found was Shapes LifeRock but it has mixed reviews with it dissolving in some people's tanks.

Talking 4-10" long with as many gnarls and twists as possible (likely try out Polymorph to form my bonsai-type structure).

Preemptively, I think it would be "a little much" to buy rubble and secure e.g. 40 pieces together lol