Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

My phosphates read .25 yesterday, doing a water 10 change, running some roa-phos, cleaning skimmer and changing out socks

I'll also get my ato up and running, organize some electronics and see if I can get my light working and running over the tank

(probably not)

I got a small frag of a 60k lokani and cali tort

I wish I could keep coral like that. How are you planning to dose?

Don't sweat it, I've killed my fair share of SPS

For the first six or so months I'll dose manually and see how that goes, if and when that becomes to much, I do have the space for a reactor or two, who knows though, I may be able to not grow anything

I used to just dose B-Ionic Part one and two and lugols, now I might do the thrive series or ultralith...

I've killed my fair share of SPS

While were being honest past me, the Hectors Goby and Twin Spot Sifter Goby I got on Saturday are still alive, the only reason I didn't tell you earlier was cause I wanted to wait and see if they would die when they come into contact wit meine wasser. They still might die, (particularly the twin spot who has been showing heavy breathing and little sifting since arriving at the store) interestingly enough both are burrowing as opposed to roaming the sand bed as is the behavior I am normally accustomed to seeing them preform... I think it is the high flow, it took the wrasse a week to gain the muscles to swim up current :P

My light build has been frustrating, I had everything working but someone (I won't give any info ;) ) bumped the fixture while I was gone and undid a few wires from there pads. Therefor when i unknowingly plugged the fixture in to test, some LED's just exploded while others didn't run at all. In trying to fix some, it has spiraled down worse and worse...

Solderiess may have been the way to go.

Tip: definitely lay out the LED's and take note of connecting the positive and negative pads (plan ur paths) or else wires are crisscrossing and bent at awkward/unstable angles...

Twinspot was breathing heavily and acted lethargic for a few days before dying. Could have been immature sand bed, way too much flow, plus he was acting similar in the store (was hoping he would enjoy the change).

Pics coming tomorrow, plus I have time to redo my first post (after it got messed up).

Did an update on the light in my lighting thread

Added my old Maxima Clam, my old massive green acan colony, and my old green and brown candy cane). Hectors goby has adjusted and is doing well! My algae bloom has seemingly ended, parameters have settled/lowered. SPS will be added before next Sunday. My whole filtration setup has been a dream and amazing, as with the RKL controller!

Tank Parameters (the ones tested at least :P)

NO3---2

PO4---.01

pH---8.10

Salinity---1.023

Temp---77F

If you don't recall, a week ago my phosphates were at .26 and my nitrates were at 15. Since then I have done my normal 10g water change, changed filter sock, gone through an algae bloom, and most importantly I used RoaPhos for the first time. I am very impressed, although it won't last, it is good to know that I have a backup in case there is ever a phosphate emergency. I just changed the sock and cleaned the skimmer and (the tank is cloudy).

An FTS after almost a month of running...

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/file_zpsac38249e.jpg.html'>file_zpsac38249e.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/file_zpsb68e5133.jpg.html'>file_zpsb68e5133.jpg

My ATO Reservoir

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/file_zps570cf7ac.jpg.html'>file_zps570cf7ac.jpg

The Control Center

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/file_zpseb65f121.jpg.html'>file_zpseb65f121.jpg

Old Candy Cane I mentioned earlier

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/file_zps65adb08a.jpg.html'>file_zps65adb08a.jpg

The lighting does not look so "spotlighty" in person...

So just 2 days ago I changed the filter dock like I do every week and moved the week old roa phos into the new sock, I also cleaned the skimmer. All things I have done before in this system and on a weekly basis. However yesterday and today the tank has become randomly cloudy. The temp hasn't gone above 78 and I have 4 fans running (3 in cabinet and one by the lights). My wrasse also has some white spots, do I trust that he will fight it off on his own? He is swimming better than ever and has slowly been building more strength as he got used to the high flow.

Waste levels are super low, the Hector's goby is fine. The wrasse is fatand eating, feed him ova masago fish eggs and mainly Thera a pellets which supposedly help a bit with color and health...

Am I to assume something is stressing the wrasse out?

Is his sickness related to the cloudy water?

First SPS is coming tommorrow from a cultivated reefs order, I also added the clam, acan, and candy cane on Saturday if that could be related.

How many and how small are the white spots? Fish can act perfectly normal with ich if the disease has not progressed far enough.

I would move both fish to QT and treat for ich, then keep your tank fish free for a few months.

I don't have experience with cloudy water, don't know about that.

Hmm I would get a reactor for your roaphos, I would imagine it would last a lot longer and be more effective than just putting it in your filter sock.

It is most likely ich, I don't have a quarantine tank, the tank is some what new so if it comes to evacuation, that will be a dissapointment.

I think the cloudy water is due to the addition of the par 38's which are bright and show the dust/debris in the water

The T5's alone with no reflectors are dim and have a even lighting

We will see.

Wrasse appears to have fought that brief spurt of ich off, he is all clear, knock on wood :rolleyes:

4th par 38 bulb is in, tank water is clean, 4 acros are in at the moment, tank is exactly one month old

Doing a photo shoot on Sunday after a water change is done and a few corals are added

Polyp extension is great, colors are improving from shipment. I couldn't be happier. :D

file_zpsc7444d42.jpg

file_zps4515452c.jpg

file_zps6c4a6307.jpg

file_zpse97d4e4e.jpg

file_zps21cbc99c.jpg

file_zps5a9342fc.jpg

file_zps7ea686a0.jpg

file_zpsa7505e17.jpg

file_zpsd1b4645b.jpg

file_zps5081c22d.jpg

file_zps965192cf.jpg

file_zps9201c655.jpg

file_zps0a44868c.jpg

file_zpsb7e21630.jpg

file_zpsc35288a3.jpgfile_zpsf2cc2e1d.jpg

You can see why I'm getting some actinics, purples, and pinks to swap in and try (addressing pale/pastel colors)

I think the lack of color pop is also due to the low nutrients (.01 PO4) and the fact that I am dosing literally nothing at the moment

(I'm undecided on what dosing brand/system I'm going to use, water changes are enough for now)

The reason for the 10k lighting appearance is b/c I had planned to use 2 daylight T5 Bulbs to balance out the blue LED fixture, but I ended up not going with that fixture and used the 4 T5's I had on me.

• Like 1

Whoa whoa whoa guys

there's too many people here

were going to crash the server, maybe the entire internet

damn kids

don't know when to slow down on the comments

fretfreak13

Sorry I'm late! Thanks for the answers about the switchboard. Thats the next purchase on my list! Such a good idea. =)

I LOVE that candy cane! I don't think I've seen one with stripes like that!

I like the new FTS, and great choice of stock, although make sure the goby is eating as they usually need a very established tank with lots of micro/filamentous algae to eat.

You have awoken a very sick and discombobulated "glassholes" (lol)

I know how to keep a hectors goby u punk -_-

A fish that many of the wonderful people here know I kept in this tanks predecessor...

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/March%208th/file_zpsc7738aa5.jpg.html'>file_zpsc7738aa5.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/March%208th/file_zpsd33cc215.jpg.html'>file_zpsd33cc215.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/March%208th/file_zps426f0c6c.jpg.html'>file_zps426f0c6c.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/March%208th/file_zpscea6e317.jpg.html'>file_zpscea6e317.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/March%208th/file_zpsfb330b3d.jpg.html'>file_zpsfb330b3d.jpg

I know it was a risk putting him in here, but I also know from experience that these are versatile and hardy fish

He's been in the tank over a month. I don't know if you misunderstood and thought he was on my wish list or if you are talking about the Twinspot, In which case I agree with you.

I included the other pics just to show I can in fact keep fish alive. Not only that but when I was ten (omg someone younger than u O: )

I kept a 58g passive tank with seahorses, pipefish, and a mandarin. It looked good, had 10 simple med. sized coral.

Simple basic equipment, tank was used and scratched, HOB skimmer, PC lights. That and the majority of its inhabitants lasted two years.

I also have 2 fw's I can show you if interested, 2 diff. styles, one is a 6g kille haven and one is a 9g planted community.

Both beautiful in their own respected manners.

Who knows maybe the lengthy response means I'm intimidated by this young prospect named 1.0reef

But it is tough to be intimidated when your tanks all have very gay, fruity, french, what ever you wanna call it, sounding names :P

• Like 1

I like the new FTS, and great choice of stock, although make sure the goby is eating as they usually need a very established tank with lots of micro/filamentous algae to eat.

Apparently the best way to get someone's attention is to quote them.

• Like 1

We won't let that guy know that the tank he most likely looked at is long gone...

The cube above is what I'm upgrading from, yes, I have high standards and I WILL make this tank become TOTM before its time is over

Or else.

• Like 1