Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

Update

Leaks are under control, tank has settled down and has officially entered the cycling period

Livestock consists of 3 Tiger Conches, 10 Astrea snails, 1 Emerald Crab, and 1 Nass. Snail that hitch hiked from my old tank

First FTS has arrived...

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/April%2024th/file_zps3a1d0920.jpg.html'>file_zps3a1d0920.jpg

Skimmer has done great, hasn't even been on for two days...

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/April%2024th/file_zps9c5f2ac9.jpg.html'>file_zps9c5f2ac9.jpg

I will be testing the water and adding to my clean up crew for the time being

My sump is jammed packed with rock and bio balls at the moment so I just put the heater up top for now, don't really care

Still have to get my MP40 working, finish the LED portion of my lights, and program my RKL

• Like 1

Posting pics tomorrow, update on my light build was posted (link below). I will take a pic of a wrasse I'm looking to snag, the frags I have been collecting, growing, and hoarding. I will also test my water and post the results.

The tank is sparkling!

Jacob042426

Believe me, I know their requirements, in fact I make a living out of their requirements.

I get essentially try one for free and see how it does. The tank we keep them in (sometimes for over two months) is a junky 15 gal with an inch of sand. Granted, it is not close to their preferred conditions but their are plenty of things in this hobby that are unexplainable. We'll see what happens.

That's not right. At the store you are keeping them temporarily, and they probably are not happy. They are one of the hardest fish to keep in captivity. You obviously don't know enough about them if you think they'll thrive in your tank.

Don't worry I'm not getting them, but I didn't say they would thrive in my tank, nor do I think they will.

Obviously this is a terrible and somewhat unethical approach but there is a distinction between thriving and keeping something alive.

For that they would like something more than 75 gals with at least 6-7 inches of sand with passive tankmates such as seahorses, pipefish, maybe some gobies...

I got a Tonozukai Fairy BTW...

• Like 1

I'm bored and have nothing new to really tell you, tank is over a week old and has copepods covering the walls.

So far no inverts have died and the wrasse is acclimated and happy (eats Ova, pellets, and mysis for sure)

Waiting for an algae bloom, once my lights are 100% finish (still working on the LED portion, right now I'm running 4 T5 bulbs)

I have tons of SPS ready to go, once the lights are functional I plan to put in a piece of somthing cheap and easy as a tester (SPS frag)

I have a nickel sized piece of Chaeto I need to grow

The SPS I have collected so far for the tank...

Purple Granny

Ice Fire Echinata

Needle in a Haystack

Spongodus

Working on getting a Pearlberry and an Aussie Blue Devil

Small Validida TriColor

Small Strawberry Lemonade

Blue Tort

Yellow Tenius

Teal Acro

Blueberry Lemonade

Green with Blue Tip Acro

I also have one or two questionables

Not sure if I want to do only SPS or put some of my old acans, my clam, and my Pagoda Cup back

Depends on the fish I get

pH has risen slightly from 8.0 to 8.1 probably due to fish and cycling

Doing a 10g water change soon as well, probably will do perpetual weekly 10g WC's...

I take pics when I do WC's as well :D

Nothing has changed really, I tested my water, I think I had a slight algae bloom but it was such a small blip I'm not sure (rocks turned a bit brown before clearing up, some algae on the glass before CUC ate it away)

My water is not terrible for a cycling tank, but it is the worst it will ever be, I can promise you that.

Ca---500

Kh---11

PO4---0.25

NO3---15

Don't know why the Ca and Kh are high, haven't dosed at all, I'm sure it will fall

Just so you guys don't think I'm sitting on my ass...

1) During the week I'm finishing my light and attempting to install it for SPS

2) Setting up the MP40 for SPS

3) Friday I'm doing a 10 gallon water change, cleaning skimmer, adding some Roa Foss, and changing out my filter sock, for SPS

4) And last but not least I am testing my water and bringing home some easy SPS on Saturday

5) Once acclimated, I have all Sunday to take pics! :D Adios #FiveSteps2Success

Can anyone tell me why sometimes when I edit/save a post it turns to code, VERY FRUSTRATING, b/c now I have to rewrite and organize my first post. Any way to fix it?

Check out my first post to see what I mean...

• Like 1

Bump

A new wet side for my MP40 is on its way, turns out it came with a part missing (wet side part that touches the glass)

Lights are finished but have to be safely mounted inside the fixture

MP40 is working and running at 50%

The wrasse is having fun...

The ball of chaeto I had in there, not so much :P

Some Pics, the tank is just over half way down with the cycle and a small algae bloom has started. All it is is the sand, which has a little brown patches here and there. For now...

I got some pics of the tank running with the MP40 (at 50%)
Plus of the wrasse that has been living in it for over a week

Also some of the coral I mentioned earlier is posted w/name, feel free to correct my ID's...

The first pic was taken a week ago, then the 2nd and third were from today...

All the coral pics were taken under frag tank T5 lighting...
file_zpsaa26159b.jpgfile_zpsdcaab8ef.jpgfile_zpsecd14ede.jpgfile_zps273a01e3.jpgfile_zpsb8402eff.jpgfile_zps1ffb7386.jpgfile_zps0840eac7.jpg
My favorite out of the bunch... Strawberry Shortcake
file_zps0f6f528c.jpg
This is could be a suharsonoi or green granulosa, very cool
file_zps70a819f4.jpg
ID???
file_zps144afc8c.jpg
Purple Granny, this will turn bright purple, also probably the fastest grower along with the Spongodus
file_zps3c971075.jpg
Pink Lemonade, oddball
file_zps55f87754.jpg[/url]
Needle in a haystack, bright green polyps
file_zpse4efc34c.jpg[/url]
Blue Tort
file_zpsc9383c83.jpg
Crayola Plana
file_zps970c930e.jpg
Golf ball sized Ice Fire Echinata
file_zps509f788a.jpg
A poopy looking tricolor
file_zps5cbc6149.jpg
A faded Aussie Red Delicate?...
file_zpsc6b88aab.jpg
Unknown fuzzy blue/purple Acro plus part of my old spongodus...
file_zps5b38b2d6.jpg

• Like 1

I may do one or two of my old ones...

If you can see, at the base of the right tower there is a decent size crated that I wold put an acan or NFS

I do have the materials to ship, just give them some time, what were you looking at in particular?

fretfreak13

This is probably going to sound really stupid, but can you explain to me what the DJ power center is and how it works? Is it so you can just turn things on and off at the flip of a switch? Do you need to plug the things you want turned on/off right into it? If so, whats the point of the RK?

Really neat stuff you got. What other fishies you going to add?

A school of something (Smithii Anthias or Parvulus Cards)

Gobies (a sifter for sure)

A Leopard Wrasse (hopefully Choats)

A Basselet?

As much as plan, im sure ill make some rash livestock choices later on (disregarding the list), if we get something really cool in, who knows? To Tunozukai was a sporadic decision, I was prepared to pay $200+ for a nice male hooded but I saw this guy and got him for $26...

This is probably going to sound really stupid, but can you explain to me what the DJ power center is and how it works? Is it so you can just turn things on and off at the flip of a switch? Do you need to plug the things you want turned on/off right into it? If so, whats the point of the RK?

Organization

A lot of bang for only 30 bucks

Makes it a lot harder to short circuit and fry something

I have so many cords that I actually need all 16 outlets available to me (already my whole light system plus fans takes 10)

Plus heater and multiple pumps, probes, etc.

Nice setup and corals. Why is the sump sooooooo tall and the other baffles beside skimmer side so short?

This tank is in my bedroom, I want silence, I made the sump tall enough to fit my skimmer inside (it has a lid)

Also imagine what its like to have no salt creep or splash

No gurgling or splashing, just a slight hum. It is 22" tall, that baffle is actually pretty large being 9" tall (perfect for sklmmer)

The one after it is 8" if I remember correctly, I got the sump for a great price (brand new and custom made) and I am very happy

I am a huge sump advocate and believe you should buy as big as possible (there are soooo many benefits)

Thanks guys, pay attention to this one... :D