Top Shelf Aquatics

PAR38 Fan Club

Julian_blnc

LarryMoeCurly

It makes me sad to look at all of your nice, neat fixtures and such. Mine is some white pvc crudely fit together and screwed into the wall, and zipties and electrical tape to hold the bulb fixtures to it.

BTW I have a 20g long and use 3 bulbs to cover it.

Anyway, here it is:

12113setup.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had my bright aquatics dimmable full spec with 90 degree optics over my 12g cadlights tank. I think the light is awesome. Can anyone see why I would need to add a second light to this tank ~ 15x12 "? Would any corals require more light? Also does anyone have any tips for photographing these lights? I have an SLR but these were take with an iPhone I can't seem to get a uniform exposure. The image is always bright white by the light and then darker in the tank. Specifically chew_magna. Your pics looks awesome what are you using and how are you using it to take pictures like that?

C113FE0B-B54E-4876-B4F0-9F3BCC63D943-345178CC2FC-8F14-4171-9B42-C1E8AD144D49-3454D118F1F-C36C-41EC-8DF0-60774890BC23-450

Android phone using Camera ZOOM FX app. Keep in mind I took my optics off, that made a HUGE difference. Camera settings, daylight or cloudy white balance, 1600 exposure.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two Par38's over my 40B with 120° optics and I have a few shaded spots which is fine because the mushrooms like it there. The big one you see in the middle is from the overflow. If I had a wider shelf and had the lights for over the middle of the tank and lowered them(which I might do if I don't sell) I think I'd be even better off.

2013-02-07214159_zpsdb628a1e.jpg

2013-02-07195453_zpsd0a956a6.jpg

2013-02-08134306_zps99e2a8ee.jpg

I'm still waiting on my other bulb from OCReef. It should be here within the next couple days. Then we'll see if a LEDTRIC full spectrum par38 and an OCReef full spectrum par38 bulb provide the same lighting.

Crazyeyes, I really like the track lighting you've done. I also installed a shelf over my tank for the purpose of hanging my lights off of it. Now I may see about doing a track as well.

I'm still waiting on my other bulb from OCReef. It should be here within the next couple days. Then we'll see if a LEDTRIC full spectrum par38 and an OCReef full spectrum par38 bulb provide the same lighting.

Crazyeyes, I really like the track lighting you've done. I also installed a shelf over my tank for the purpose of hanging my lights off of it. Now I may see about doing a track as well.

Lmk when you get it. I like the way the LEDTRIC looks on your tank. I'm looking for a light for my 18X18X6 shallow tank. Looking for a nice blue color.

Lmk when you get it. I like the way the LEDTRIC looks on your tank. I'm looking for a light for my 18X18X6 shallow tank. Looking for a nice blue color.

Still twiddling my thumbs waiting for it. It's been almost three weeks now... I'm more than a little po'd about it.

Hey Chew, first off thanks. The shelf was actually my g/f's idea so thanks to her. Also, if you do get a track setup I highly recommend the heads I used, not being biased but the others ones they sell are way more limited to how you can position them. I also like that you can cut the track to whatever length you need. What degree optics are most of you all running in your bulbs?

Quick question folks-

I have an 8 gallon IM Nuvo. Right now I have the stock light that came with it, and it doesn't look like the 2 corals I have in there (GSP and Frogspawn frag) are getting enough light, so I'm looking at getting a Par38 tri-color from Ecoxotic.

My question is what do you all use for moon lighting? Do you even bother?

Thanks!

I honestly can't wait to get my Par38 Bulbs from Ledtric, i'm going to go with 2 of them for my 20 long with 90 degree optic. I'll post pics as soon as I get them in and mounted. Kinda pissed they are and have been on backorder for so long but they are very polite and fast to response and have great reviews and can't beat that price!

Hopefully 2 of them look good on my 20L but I'll add a 3rd if needs be. No more buying replacement bulbs for my T-5 and wasting $60 every 8 months on bulbs!

Quick question folks-

I have an 8 gallon IM Nuvo. Right now I have the stock light that came with it, and it doesn't look like the 2 corals I have in there (GSP and Frogspawn frag) are getting enough light, so I'm looking at getting a Par38 tri-color from Ecoxotic.

My question is what do you all use for moon lighting? Do you even bother?

Thanks!

I would recommend the ledtric or reef breeders over the ecooxitic

And for moonlighting I am going to buy a moon light strip from Steve's LEDs

They used to sell a clip on moon light that attached to the bulb but not anymore

Just ordered a Par38 and gooseneck from Logan at Reef Breeders. He was very cool, and very helpful. Thanks Logan!

I'll post pics once everything is set up.

Holy bright, batman! Got the light yesterday and roughed it in today. I'm not sold on the final placement but I'm going to have to construct something to mount the gooseneck on. My concern is that the bulb is too close to the tank. It is about 7" from the top of the water and about 22" from the sand. A couple of questions, if you all wouldn't mind-

• Do I need to raise this higher?
  • At it's current height, will it burn any corals I put in there?
  • What is a good daylight/moonlight period?
  • What types of corals will this thing grow?

ziv108G.jpg

Holy bright, batman! Got the light yesterday and roughed it in today. I'm not sold on the final placement but I'm going to have to construct something to mount the gooseneck on. My concern is that the bulb is too close to the tank. It is about 7" from the top of the water and about 22" from the sand. A couple of questions, if you all wouldn't mind-

• Do I need to raise this higher?
  • At it's current height, will it burn any corals I put in there?
  • What is a good daylight/moonlight period?
  • What types of corals will this thing grow?

ziv108G.jpg

Definitely needs to be raised. At it's current position it'll harm coral for sure. You're probably looking to raise it at least 2 feet off the tank to start, then gradually lower it as your coral get used to it.

This is a horrible picture, but I finally got my other bulb from OCReef.

yPXup4H.jpg

The spectrum is totally different from my LEDTRIC bulb. This thing has 3 red led's on it. Why? I have no idea. It isn't what I ordered. But after waiting three weeks for it I'm just going to keep it. I took the optics off it as well and placed the lights closer together so that they blend. If I separate them any more the left side of the tank is significantly red/purple while the right side is blue.

Anyone use the reefbreeders par38 bulb? Was looking to pick one up for my 15x15x7 work tank. Would be nice to see what people think about them. Great price at $110 with gooseneck.

Any feed back please on the rapidled par38 blubs would be great. Looking to pull the trigger soon, I just need to figure out which would be best.

Should I pull the trigger on the preorder from Ledtric? Thinking about getting 2 for my 20 long, only thing that worries me is the one year warranty what do you think?

I wouldn't because of this they will no longer be stocking them at the end of the month and wont offer the warrenty either. Better off with the reefbreeders at this point and at the same price. With a 2 year warrenty as well.

You talkin about for Ledtric? I'm confused.

After the 26th of this month LEDTRIC is going to be selling their bulbs through other companies, not through themselves.

Orders will no longer be accepted directly through LEDTRiC.com for the Full Spectrum PAR38 ReefLamps, starting on 02/25/2013. In order to purchase a Full Spectrum PAR38 ReefLamp on or after this date, customers will be directed to one of our Authorized Distributors/Retailers. At this time, our option of purchasing the discounted 1-year warranty will no longer be available.

From their site.

Yeah thats what I figured so I just ordered it right now. Same price as the OCreef one i had but I returned and the same warranty, but I'll take full spectrum anytime.

Archived