Cultivated Reef

Showing off my new starfish from KP Aquatics

opaquelace

Look at this girl!

dsc00987ii.jpg

Just got her in today and I'm very happy with her so far. She's moving around and her coloring is gorgeous. KP advertises these starfish as being hardy, reef safe and easy to feed. Supposedly they'll take food that you offer them readily if they're near the top of the tank. Who else here keeps starfish? What kinds? I was thinking of getting a serpent starfish as well to be part of the tank CUC.

• Like 4

I have serpent stars. They are the only stars that I have ever been able to keep alive. I have 1 in my 65g and 2 in my 120g. They don't bother anything, but man do they move fast when you feed the tank.

AFellowReefer

I bought a "nano red serpent star" from them... which was not so red... but he is still pretty cool as he just hangs out under some LR until food hits the water or it is night, then it game on!

I bought a "nano red serpent star" from them... which was not so red... but he is still pretty cool as he just hangs out under some LR until food hits the water or it is night, then it game on!

These come in a variety of colors. The ones in the pictures on their site aren't nearly as pretty as the one I received so I was very pleasantly surprised. I haven't fed her yet, but I'm excited to see what she does. :) She's currently resting on her snail shell.

Who is KP? Have always wanted a starfish, but have never really found cool ones that are reef safe.

Oops, just noticed "aquatics" in the thread title!

I had a starfish like that a few years back. It was chomping on my 300 dollar scoly one day. A buddy said it was considered a horned starfish even though the LFS list them as common starfish.

I had a starfish like that a few years back. It was chomping on my 300 dollar scoly one day. A buddy said it was considered a horned starfish even though the LFS list them as common starfish.

Hrm. I typed in "horned starfish" and it came up with starfish that look like chocolate chip stars which are definitely known coral eaters. I trust KP Aquatics enough. No one gave them a bad review for these stars either for their reef tanks. I'll keep an eye on it though. Seems to like the sand bed right now.

Other than serpents, micro/mini brittles I wasn't aware of any truly reef safe stars.

But I'm dumb enough to be wrong.

Hrm. I typed in "horned starfish" and it came up with starfish that look like chocolate chip stars which are definitely known coral eaters. I trust KP Aquatics enough. No one gave them a bad review for these stars either for their reef tanks. I'll keep an eye on it though. Seems to like the sand bed right now.
I did the same search and found what you found. Just keep a eye on it.

Other than serpents, micro/mini brittles I wasn't aware of any truly reef safe stars. But I'm dumb enough to be wrong.
Fromia and Linkias are reef safe.
  • Like 2

Beautiful starfish. SeaLife is great. Have done business several times with them over the course of atleast 5 years. Best part is they always seem to throw in a little extra.

I did the same search and found what you found. Just keep a eye on it.

An eye will be kept. I don't have any $300 scolymias to worry about though. ;) Kinda wish I did lol. I've read some more about what I found it to be and similar starfish and many threads on reefcentral have reputed them to be reef safe. She adds some new color to my tank so she had better stay away from my $9.99 frags.

Beautiful starfish. SeaLife is great. Have done business several times with them over the course of atleast 5 years. Best part is they always seem to throw in a little extra.

I love them. I've ordered from them over the years too and have never been disappointed. I've gotten fun hitchhikers, awesome colored ricordeas from their "oddball" bunch and tons of other stuff. I was also pretty happy they sent us some freebie blue leg hermits lol. Even if my big blue hermit is boxing with the smaller ones like he's all big and bad.

An eye will be kept. I don't have any $300 scolymias to worry about though. ;) Kinda wish I did lol. I've read some more about what I found it to be and similar starfish and many threads on reefcentral have reputed them to be reef safe. She adds some new color to my tank so she had better stay away from my $9.99 frags.

I love them. I've ordered from them over the years too and have never been disappointed. I've gotten fun hitchhikers, awesome colored ricordeas from their "oddball" bunch and tons of other stuff. I was also pretty happy they sent us some freebie blue leg hermits lol. Even if my big blue hermit is boxing with the smaller ones like he's all big and bad.

Salt critters gets some cheap scolys time to time. Nice to see you out of the lounge. ;)

:P I've never ordered from salt critters but I love their prices, and the fact that they show you the color of the coral under two different lights. Makes it easier to imagine what it will look like in my tank.

I have one of these starfish too! I've had mine for about 3-4 months and I haven't had any issues. Mine will come up to the water's surface and take small pellets even.

• Like 2

Damn you! I just placed an order after seeing this.

I think I'm about to as well!

OP - That star was only $7?! That is amazing.

And guaranteed with 2 day shipping?!

What shipping did you use Opaquelace? Oh and do you have clams? Because it says they might go for clams. :(

I think I'm about to as well!

OP - That star was only $7?! That is amazing.

And guaranteed with 2 day shipping?!

What shipping did you use Opaquelace? Oh and do you have clams? Because it says they might go for clams. :(

I used priority, so the 2-3 day shipping. Was here in two days. Yea, I read they might go for clams. I don't keep any. Never have..they make me kind of nervous. But yea, $7.50 for that starfish. I put in the notes that I'd like a reddish one or an orange one and that's what they sent me :)

I have one of these starfish too! I've had mine for about 3-4 months and I haven't had any issues. Mine will come up to the water's surface and take small pellets even.

Awesome :D I wanted something my kids could enjoy looking at (ok, and me too) so I wanted something friendly and visible most of the time.

Archived