Coral Vue Hydros

BoCoMo's 40G *Chock-full of zoa's!

BoCoMo

Most Recent FTS:

FTS5413_zps1cf02593.jpg

5/4/13

(it looks nothing like this right now but until I get stuff in new homes my tank just looks like a massive frag rack right now)

The Details:

ULNS system, SSB, Zoa dominated mixed reef (still zoa dominated but near as much)

Stand - DIY waterproofed inside, stained outside
Rock - Pukani dry rock
Substrate - Fiji Pink & Crushed Coral
Salt - Seachem Reef Salt

DIY Sump houses skimmer & all reactors

GFO reactor, Carbon/Purigen Reactor

Zeolites
Lights - 27" 160w 16,000k Maxspect Razor
Skimmer - Reef Octopus 6" in sump outflow into filter stock to reduce bubbles (this is a great trick ime)

Overflow - 3, 1" drain bulkheads using "bean animal" system (internal overflow), into filter sock, quiet one 3000 to 3/4" return to loc-line (sump will flow 400gph)

Waterflow - 400 gph from sump return through 2 loc-line returns, 2 Tunze 6015 (475 gph each), 1 Tunze 6045 (400 to 1,100 GPH) mounted in a Sea Sweep
Dosing - Seachem Reef Complete, Seachem Reef Plus, Seachem Reef Calcium, Korallen-Zucht Sponge Power, Elos Omega Amino Acids, Korallen-Zucht Coral Snow, Auto-dosed balling for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium control
Feeding - Korallen-Zucht ZEOFood 7, BRS Reef Chili Coral Food, Argent Cyclops-Eeze (any opinons on these?)

Stocking:

Zoas:

Atomic Eagle Eyes

Whammin Watermelons

Mystery Zoa #1

Mystery Zoa #2

Mystery Zoa #3

Mystery Zoa #4

Mystery Zoa #5

Mystery Zoa #6

Tubbs Blue

Orange Dot Zoa's

Yellow Camo People Eaters

Armor of GOD's

BamBam's

Ultra Peach Rainbow 'Vice Zoas'

Rainbow Shaman 'Vice Zoas'

Joker 'Vice Zoas'

Ultra Pangaea 'Vice Zoas'

Gold Melt 'Vice Zoas'

Miami Vice 'Vice Zoas'

Copper-Magenta Shaman 'Vice Zoas'

Purple Denim 'Vice Zoas'

Ultra Aqua Fresh 'Vice Zoas'

Rastas

Tiger Tails

Pink Zippers

Candy Apple Red

Gobstoppers

Magicians

God of war

Fire & Ice

Green Dragon Eye

Nuclear Green Paly

Sunny D's

Silver-Skirted Ectoplasm 'Vice Zoas'

Purple-Ringed Blue Eyed Zombie 'Vice Zoas'

Halcyon 'Vice Zoas'

Firecracker

Keds Red

Dragonfly

Red PE

Creamsicle

Sunny Side Up

Strawberry Patch

Solar Flare

Pumpkin Patch

Lemon Head

Green Bay Packers

Bubblicious

Chocolate Mint

Apple Berry

Firecracker

Deep Water Horizon

Nuclear Yellow Palys

Aqua Prop

JF Bella Blue

*I have a ton more than this now but I haven't stayed up on this (new business, new son)

Others:

Rose-Pink w/ Purple Center Ricordea

Ultra Pink-Orange w/ Neon Aqua Skirt Ricordea

Lavender Clove Polyps

Green Mushroom

Blue Ochtodes

*Again many more than this now but I'll have to go back through and see what all is in there now (buying, selling trading is one of my favorite aspects of the hobby)

Fish, Etc...

Blue Damsel

Cinnamon Clown

Mandarin Goby

Orchid Dottyback

Hermits

Snails

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just picked up a 40B myself, least Petco is good for something :). Because I don't know better, why put the egg crate on the bottom of the tank?

To protect the glass and I figure out my rock scape. Some people leave it there (worried about pressure on bottom glass) and some take it out. I am not sure yet but if I left it in I would trim it all the way down to just sitting under the rock. (could put styrofoam under there too)

Biogenetic40379

I am building a 40b too. Are you in Columbia by chance? Excellent looking stand, what did you use to cover the frame, looking to possibly do the same on my FW tank. Ocean's Life Aquaria in Columbia drills tanks for $25 a hole i believe. I'll probably end up getting mine drilled there tomorrow

I live in Columbia (BoCoMo is Boone County Missouri)

I will be drilling my tank tomorrow probably so you are more than welcome to come over and use the bits, drill guide and drill if you want.

You want to see more of the Razor? I already do not think the par 38's I got will work (a little too crowded) so I may have to use them on another tank or sell them.

I have a full spectrum zooman and a true pop shoot me a pm if you are interested. I built the sump last night instead but will drill the tank here in a bit

Sump is built:

IMG_1881_zps58623483.jpg

Rocks are pre-soaking before acid bath:

IMG_1883_zpse6e65697.jpg

Tank is drilled:

IMG_1902_zpsbab5b5da.jpg

Measured and marked:

IMG_1889_zps5f293ddc.jpg

Build a water dam with plumbers putty:

IMG_1890_zpsbbc199ba.jpg

Start drill at medium speed, come at an angle then after started tilt to full bit engagement:

IMG_1891_zpsbe08f3e7.jpg

IMG_1892_zps8f24a891.jpg

Protips: Drill from the side you will be putting flange and gasket on (to avoid chips on side you will seal, support the side you are drilling to with something like foam or wood. (I drilled from inside out and sat the aquarium on foam), and drill slowly letting the weight of the drill push, once again patience pays off and I avoided chipping out.

• Like 1

So I gave the pukani a muriatic acid bath today and here is the process I went through:

1) I soaked the rock in tap water for 24 hours to soften organic goodies hiding in the rocks many crevices. (bonus points for soaking them with powerheads to let the water movement help shake things loose)

2) I got a container big enough to hold the rock as well as give some room around the sides for stirring (I used a tupperware container)

3) I read the instructions & safety warnings thoroughly before beginning then I put rock in the container and filled the container with water until the rock was covered with water and keept track of how much water I used so that I could mix the proper ratio. With this stuff I used 1.5 pints per 5 gallons (1 pint per 5 gallons was the "etching concrete" number and I wanted slightly stronger than that)

4) I added acid into water (avoided pouring directly onto rock) and gently stirred with a wooden dowel.

5) The rocks sat in the bath for about 30 to 45 minutes each before the bubbling died down to a minimal level.

6) The rocks were removed from the bath and sprayed off on all sides to remove the gunk.

7) The rocks were soaked in tap water for an hour to remove residues & the process could be repeated if further cleaning is needed (most people I have heard do this process twice or wish they did)

8) After acid baths are done and rocks are rinsed and have soaked in tap I have moved them into a bath of treated tap (RO would have been good) with powerheads to remove any residues and I will replace the water several times over the next 24 - 48 hours.

9) After this period I will take them out and let them dry out completely and remove any hangers on (sponges most likely)

Presoaking REALLY helps. I got all kinds of stuff out with just plain water (Urchin spikes and bodies, various crab parts & bodies, various gunk)
IMG_1934_zps75c996d9.jpg

The acid really gets the protein and other contaminates out.
IMG_1943_zps9f1be186.jpg

Even after being sprayed off after the first acid bath the gunk kept coming out.
IMG_1940_zpsfb01d5e5.jpg

Second rinsing and still getting junk out. These rocks are extremely porous which is what makes them so good but it also makes the cleaning process a little more difficult - but worth it in my opinion.

IMG_1942_zps779fe9cf.jpg

lol - I did this in the spare bathroom; my wife never sets foot in there unless it is for a seasonal change of decor. (you better believe this was hiding behind the shower curtain though)

• Like 1

Great Progress man. Love the modern look.

You know through all the years and tanks I've had I have yet been brave enough to drill the glass my self. I will have to give it ago next time.

It is always a little sketchy but knowing if I really messed up the $1 per gallon sale was going on made it easier to take the plunge! I am hoping I can do the plumbing today and start on the canopy.

I haven't been able to update every step up to now (been busy with work) but here is it is:

IMG_2021_zps3dcac036.jpg

The bean-animal drain (I modified it a little) is super quiet. The loudest part of the system is the Quietone pump!
  • Like 2

Archived