Cultivated Reef

botom line what is the best reef salt.

ecajoe

Look up the Triton test results.

Instant ocean, sucks.

Reef Crystals, sucks.

Salinity, tad high on a couple things...

Can't recall the others out there. Not many salts are all that good.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look up the Triton test results.

Instant ocean, sucks.

Reef Crystals, sucks.

Salinity, tad high on a couple things...

Can't recall the others out there. Not many salts are all that good.

If IO sucked that bad it probably wouldn't be used by a lot of public aquariums and been around for a long long time.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ESV.

Some require more work to mix well, some have too high Alk or Ca , some too low and have to dose, some precipitate easily , leave residue etc.

I chose ESV because I don't have room to have containers laying around for 24 hrs mixing saltwater. In less than 30 min I can be done with mixing and water change. Mixes clear with no residue.

Only drawback for some with this salt is the 4 part mix. If you're willing to measure , weigh and stock in ziplock bags the same amount you're going to use every time then it's easy.

Maybe works best for smaller tanks.

Bottom line, choose one and stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys consider high salinity? Cuz there's this thing called the ocean and it's salinity is higher than all of the salts I have ever used when you use their recommended mixing.

• 2 weeks later...

I like regular IO and have been using it for probably more than 10 years without any problems. I mix and use in less than an hour as I serviced tanks for a lfs. It is close to NSW and can be dosed with 2 part if necessary.

What do you guys consider high salinity? Cuz there's this thing called the ocean and it's salinity is higher than all of the salts I have ever used when you use their recommended mixing.

Just... Don't use recommended dosing? We mix until the refractometer tells us we're done, not until the bucket does, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Salinity mixes to 1.026sg with recommended mixing, and I think RSCP did for me as well, but when I used IO and RC I just added more salt.

It's totally subjective, but I have had the best luck with Aquavitro Salinity salt. It mixes up fast (can use it within 30 min) and I have never had residue on buckets or high levels of anything I can test for (all close to NSW)

I use Salinity because my tank likes it.

A new store opened up and used Salinity so I switched to their water which was also convienient to my work.. So I started using their water and my tank took off. They closed up and the LFS used RSCP salts and my tank hasnt been the same.

I just finished setting up my own RO/DI (we bought a house) and made my first bucket of salt water today. I will do a water change tomorrow or Tuesday and see if there is any change in the near future.

Started with first LFS using IO

Next was Salinty

RSCP was last LFS

Salintiy that I make now

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't see anyone else using it but I personally think Brightwell NeoMarine Salt is one of the best salts on the market. It is very consistent with its specificiations everytime I mix it and is an almost 1:1 identical match for sea water. They also do not use any elements that have potential to build up over time or that are not used by marine life. It also is designed to mix to a salinity of 1.025 at 135g per gallon which is less than other brands as well. Just my two cents.

So here is what I just learned from reading all 7 pages of this thread .... There is no best everyone is having success and issues with all brands .... I say stick to what works for u and if u want to make a change try it out see what the results are and go back to your old or stay with ur new salt.

Archived