SaltCritters.com

botom line what is the best reef salt.

ecajoe

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice I seen the box does 50 gall more for a couple$ more some places same price

I just bought the 200g IO Reef Crystals box (it's bags inside to stay fresh) for $57 on Amazon. Free shipping, you can't beat that in a store.

Here's a dumb question

I use IO and considering switching to IORC or even RSCP. Is there any harm in switching brands?

My Alk has been low lately even after dosing. I am going to test my salt mix tonight, maybe it's the culprit. If so, I'll be switching.

Sorry in advance for the question in an obvious opinion thread.

Here's a dumb question

I use IO and considering switching to IORC or even RSCP. Is there any harm in switching brands?

My Alk has been low lately even after dosing. I am going to test my salt mix tonight, maybe it's the culprit. If so, I'll be switching.

Sorry in advance for the question in an obvious opinion thread.

No harm in switching, but do it gradually as in use both mixes together on a few W.C.s if you have sensitive corals. If you're feeling particularly brave then just use the new salt straight up. Either way keep it to no more than a 20% W.C. the first time with the new salt

No harm in switching, but do it gradually as in use both mixes together on a few W.C.s if you have sensitive corals. If you're feeling particularly brave then just use the new salt straight up. Either way keep it to no more than a 20% W.C. the first time with the new salt

Perfect, Thanks! I do about 10% a week. I'll do 1/2 & 1/2 if I find I have to switch. This low ALK is killing me. I've spent a lot of time searching the site to no prevail. Maybe it's time I start a thread.

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...
Reefanaddict

I've been using IO RC for a year and every time I test the basic parameters (calc., Mag., Alk./Ph., Sal.) the values between bags are never consistent and often lower than suggested. I use the same half cup measurement per gal and adjust accordingly. I've had Alk and other basic levels drop from their initial tested level which is done after a few hours of mixing over the course of a few days. It's also produced a brown layer of idk what on the inside of the mixing bucket, usually noticeable after 24 hours of mixing.

I've finally decided to spend a little bit extra to buy a better/more consistent salt. Which would be aquavitro's salinity. I like that it is tested every batch and the overall reputation seachem has for their products pulls me to choose this salt along with other reviews from trusted friends, lfs employees, and reefers.

I see the issues people have with AS is that they don't mix it/use it the way its meant/designed to be according to its specific needs. It is to be mixed without a heater or at room temperature for NO MORE than 24h, preferably using it immediately after its all dissolved. Which may take a few hours but never more than 24. The reason its not meant to be mixing or stored longer than 24 hours is due to evaporation and co2 exchange which apparently may cause some of the basic levels, mainly the Alk, to be lower than what they were originally.

Essentially most I'd not all the problems I've heard of written aquavitro salinity can be avoided by mixing and using it within 24 hours and keeping it room temperature avoiding the use of a heater. And the cloudiness retorted has no effect on the tank and is dye to higher levels in the salt mix of that batch.

I know it may be hard for some to stick to these guidelines and if it is it may be worth switching to a different salt. Otherwise from the reviews and all else consider it should be a no problem salt with great advantages and qualities for any reefer.

Necro thread.

Actually Reefanaddict, AS recommends mixing for 24 hours. They say nothing about using it within 24 hours or mixing it at room temp. In fact, they have a temp compensation table for from 55F to 86F for adjusting salinity. Where did you get your info?

From the directions:

Directions

1. Mix salinity™ with dechlorinated tap or purified water. We recommend the use of a commercial dechlorinator like alpha™ to neutralize any tap water chlorine and/or chloramines. If source water quality is poor we recommend purification with a Seachem Pinnacle™ RO/DI system. To prepare small quantities, bring 35 grams of salinity™ up to a volume of 1 liter, or add 36.27 grams to 1 liter of water. [This is a little less than 1/2 cup of salt per US gallon of water. For 15 gallons use 7 cups of salinity™.]

2. Stir well to ensure a good mix. Although the salinity™ solution may be used immediately, we suggest mixing for approximately 24 hours to achieve oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.

3. Measure the salinity. We recommend a salinity of 35‰. This will be a temperature compensated SG (specific gravity) value of 1.026. If you are using uncorrected SG values (H) then the following formula will yield a value for S (salinity) accurate to within 1%:

S = [0.3348 * T] + [1325 * H] - 1330.4525 (calibrated at 15.56 °C (60 °F))

S = [0.2211 * T] + [1325 * H] - 1330.4525 (calibrated at 25 °C (77 °F))

where S is the salinity in parts per thousand; T is temperature in degrees centigrade (range of 13-30 °C); and H is the uncorrected hydrometer reading. If you don't mind an error on the order of ±3%, simply use the following table:

If the water temperature is: cal.@ 15.56 °C cal.@ 25 °C degrees C degrees F then target H= then target H= 13 - 15 55 - 59 1.027 1.029 16 - 19 60 - 66 1.026 1.028 20 - 23 67 - 73 1.025 1.027 24 - 27 74 - 81 1.024 1.026 28 - 30 82 - 86 1.023 1.025

4. Adjust salt level accordingly. If salinity is too low, then add more salinity™. If too high, add more water.

5. Change 20% of aquarium water every two weeks (or as necessary) to maintain optimum water quality.

USAGE NOTE: NEVER mix salt in an aquarium containing livestock. Transfer livestock to the aquarium AFTER salt is completely mixed and specific gravity has been adjusted. Use Seachem's Stability® to avoid "new tank syndrome" and to prevent unnecessary livestock losses in a new system.

CAUTION: SALINITY™ IS NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Contact in dry form may cause skin or eye irritation. In case of eye contact, completely flush eye(s) with cool water and seek medical attention.

Never heard of them, but they say this on their site:

"Since our basic Salt (NACL) is produced by evaporation from pure tropical seawater, it contains all macro and micro elements in the exact proportions found in tropical sea water where your fish and corals come from, and therefore will give them the best results."

That's a big load. Producing NACL via evaporation will precipitate out much of the minerals as carbonates which would be insoluble.

Always used plain old instant ocean. Don't really want a salt with super high levels that could spike your Ca or Alk . If I need to raise them I'd prefer to dose them so they know exactly what's going in.

I was using Seachem Reef Salt, but I ran out and my local store was OOS. So I bought some Kent Reef Salt just to get going. It was on sale super cheap. But alk, mag and calcium were both way lower than Seachem's. And the Kent left way worse gray crap in the trashcan than Seachem's did.

I'm kinda stumped which way to go now. I don't like Seachem's gray crap, and the Kent is garbage. Reading this thread has me thinking I should move to IO. Cheap, and available everywhere.

I was using Seachem Reef Salt, but I ran out and my local store was OOS. So I bought some Kent Reef Salt just to get going. It was on sale super cheap. But alk, mag and calcium were both way lower than Seachem's. And the Kent left way worse gray crap in the trashcan than Seachem's did.

I'm kinda stumped which way to go now. I don't like Seachem's gray crap, and the Kent is garbage. Reading this thread has me thinking I should move to IO. Cheap, and available everywhere.

I buy mine at petsmart but Dr Foster and Smith have the 160g bucket on sale for $39.99 and free shipping on anything order over $49.

Hint: They get their salt from the same place in Israel...

Yup I knew this. Lol. I use rscp now but was thinking of switching to royal nature as the levels are less inflated and more in line with what I want in my tank 9dkh, 430ca, etc.

Seachem has issues if you overshoot salinity, 1.025 is their target IIRC and when I overshot I had a can of soup.

Red Sea Blue Bucket is the best for SPS tanks doing larger water changes.

In short, as to the title of this thread, there is no best Reef Salt. If you do smaller water changes the high numbers in some of these salts works quite well to replenish things. If You are most concerned with stability and do significant water changes then a salt that best matches the parameters you run at will be the best.

why blue bucket over coral pro?

Many SPS keepers like to run between 6.5 and 7.5 KH. Red Sea Blue Bucket mixes up to 8KH while Coral Pro mixes to some ungodly high number, like 12KH.

I used Kent .. Never had the problem as u have in fact I have some residue with the Red Sea coral pro so I don't pour in the last 1/2 gallon on a water change.

Archived