SaltCritters.com

Coralife Biocube 29G - Steve's Leds Upgrade Diy Thread - Pics!

jpc763

I light my tank from Noon to 9PM daily. Nightlights and fuge light from 9PM to Noon. I change 6g of water every other week and I only add baking soda if my Alk goes below 8 (done this once). I feed daily a chunk of Rods food and Reef Chili. Other than that I don't supliment.

As far as growth, my softies are what have grown the most. The Palys and Zoas have taken over and the Toadstool Leathers have grown quite a bit. The Duncan was that big when I got him as is the brain.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BioNanoreefer

What about calcium, magesium, iodine,, trace elements and other addicivites, Do you anything when changing the water? What are your levels?

I don't dose anything except baking soda on occasion. I test every week or two.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

PO - 0

dKh - between 7 and 10. When it gets down to 7 or 8, I begin dosing 1tsp at a time.

Ca - usually 400 - 500

6 gallons is probably about a 25% water change given the amount of LR I have.

J

I'm about to order Steve's kit for my bc29 too. Thanks for all the install pics.

What color combination are you planning to go with?

You'll like them I'm confident to say the least :)

• 3 months later...
WalrusKisses

I'm looking into getting the 95% completed kit from Steve's for my BioCube 14, so I'm glad I found this thread. I've been saving up for quite some time for this kit and was fairly certain of it up until now.

The problem that I'm running into is this: I have no tools. None, apart from a screwdriver and a hammer. I was led to believe that this kit was an easy install, but after reading "I had to grind down this", or "I had to drill that", I'm not so sure. I would hate to spend most (all) my money on something that I can't actually use.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, what tools do I need, and how hard is it for those of us lacking a garage or workshop?

I'm looking into getting the 95% completed kit from Steve's for my BioCube 14, so I'm glad I found this thread. I've been saving up for quite some time for this kit and was fairly certain of it up until now.

The problem that I'm running into is this: I have no tools. None, apart from a screwdriver and a hammer. I was led to believe that this kit was an easy install, but after reading "I had to grind down this", or "I had to drill that", I'm not so sure. I would hate to spend most (all) my money on something that I can't actually use.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, what tools do I need, and how hard is it for those of us lacking a garage or workshop?

Tough question. I did not do the 95% solution. My understanding is that your heatsink will be pre-drilled and your connections will be snap together. You might have to cut or grind the lid if the heatsink does not fit but I am not sure. I have read of a BUNCH of others doing a 95%. I would recommend posting a thread.

Can i ask you how much lb of sand did you use on this biocube 29? Great LED upgrade. How much did it cost you to do this?

20lbs of sand. The kit cost $249 plus the nightlights so it was just under $300.

• 2 weeks later...

Any FTS updates on this. I am researching and thinking about going with Steve's kit. Great build post. Definitely helped me to determine that is is fairly easy to do, at least by the photos that you posted.

1. Hindsight being 20/20 would you change the combination at all of colors?

2. is the coverage good in the front of the tank with the heat sinks being so narrow? They look close together (for LED's), but maybe I'm just being a little pickey..

Any FTS updates on this. I am researching and thinking about going with Steve's kit. Great build post. Definitely helped me to determine that is is fairly easy to do, at least by the photos that you posted.

1. Hindsight being 20/20 would you change the combination at all of colors?

2. is the coverage good in the front of the tank with the heat sinks being so narrow? They look close together (for LED's), but maybe I'm just being a little pickey..

No FTS right now. I am out of the country right now.

I would have gone full spectrum (search for biocube full spectrum and you will see what I mean) but it is more expensive.

The coverage is excellent both in the front and back. No problem at all that they are close together.

J

• 3 weeks later...
CDMOceanActivity

Your step by step instruction are great, thank you! We bought the 95% complete for Coralife Biocube 29 and my husband is just now starting to work on it. I must admit we are confused about drilling hole or removing vent slats.

16) I also used a dremmel to open up the fan vent more

Do you have pic of top of completed tank that shows hole, or is that a dumb question? Thanks in advance.

Your step by step instruction are great, thank you! We bought the 95% complete for Coralife Biocube 29 and my husband is just now starting to work on it. I must admit we are confused about drilling hole or removing vent slats.

16) I also used a dremmel to open up the fan vent more

Do you have pic of top of completed tank that shows hole, or is that a dumb question? Thanks in advance.

On the underside of my hood (Coralife), the fan vent was too bulky. I cut most of it out to allow for more air. You cannot see it from the top, only from the bottom with the lights removed.

CDMOceanActivity

Thanks for your answer. We ended up just cutting out most of existing vent. And then realized fan didn't work! Steve's was good about it and sent us a new one. Now we're trying (when I say we I mean my husband) to figure out how to install Typhon Controller the instructions are not clear at all. I don't suppose you have any experience with it? Anyway your step by step instructions were perfect and saved my husband much time and headache. Thanks Again

Thanks for your answer. We ended up just cutting out most of existing vent. And then realized fan didn't work! Steve's was good about it and sent us a new one. Now we're trying (when I say we I mean my husband) to figure out how to install Typhon Controller the instructions are not clear at all. I don't suppose you have any experience with it? Anyway your step by step instructions were perfect and saved my husband much time and headache. Thanks Again

The step by step Typhoon hookup is on the forums. I don't remember who posted them, but you should be able to find it. I use a ReefKeeper Lite.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

You're tank looks sick, jpc!

I just installed the 99% kit the other night and I'm pretty happy with it.

I was wondering...the instructions say cut the vents down so they're flush...did that. It also says "AND remove every other rib". I didn't do this part and I'm worried about over heating. Did you remove "every other rib"?

Also, if there were heat issues, what would be an indicator? I'm getting cool air out of the vent on top of the hood and when I open the hood and put my hand under the LEDs they're a little warm but not hot.

Also, any idea what an indicator would be that water is getting where it shouldn't? I got the splash guard to go back on pretty flush after a ton of dremeling.

Thanks very much!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered the 14000k JMB for the coralife biocube 29. Did you drill the 2 inch holes for ventilation for the fan or just shave down the ribs creating more air flow? If you did shave the ribs down was that effective in keeping the system cool. I don't realy want to have to drill 2 inch holes in my hood if I don't have to.

jedimasterben

I just ordered the 14000k JMB for the coralife biocube 29. Did you drill the 2 inch holes for ventilation for the fan or just shave down the ribs creating more air flow? If you did shave the ribs down was that effective in keeping the system cool. I don't realy want to have to drill 2 inch holes in my hood if I don't have to.

I would personally try to just cut the ribs down a bit first. Once the system is fully installed, let it run at your desired full blast setting for a few hours, then lift up the hood and touch the heatsink with your hand. If you cannot hold it there for very long, then it is getting too hot and needs more airflow to get the job done.

• 3 months later...

I have steve's leds 14000k jmb special for a biocube 29 I am setting up in september. I got through the install, it was a little chalangeing but I am not the most handy guy in the world. What percentage do you run your lights at and have you had any issues with steves power source?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i'm also interested what % people with these kits run theirs at. it's the one thing i'm not sure of when it comes to mine.

also for the record, i got the 99% complete instal that claimed all you needed was a screwdriver and it was hellish to install and required a dremel and lots of hood modification.

I used the bluish controller not the typhoon. I got it to work fairly easily. I don't know if there are any similarities. I contacted steves leds with a few questions and they were answered quickly with no problem.

Archived