inTank Media Baskets

Bob's 7.5G Long, the re-boot

coachfraley

Here is the setup for my new pico. I decided to try the long version of the Mr. Aqua 7.5g. I haven't seen many here on the forum. Not really sure about stocking yet. I know I want some type of O. clown, but I am considering a tailspot blenny as well (maybe both). Corals will have to be something soft due to the light. Pics are still cloudy from the sand, please be kind. Thanks for looking in.

Equipment:

7.5g Mr. Aqua "long" aquarium (18 x 9 x 10)

AC70 fuge, InTank media basket (floss, chemipure elite, purigen)

AC surface skimmer box

Cobalt Aquatics 50w Heater

Finnex 18" ray2 LED fixture

MP10

8.5 lbs. LR from LFS

12 lbs. LS from caribsea

Livestock:

O. Clown Pair

Teadrop O. Clown

Tailspot Blenny

Coral:

Zoas (neon greens, tubbs blue, 2 unknown, eagle eyes, ring of fires, flaming sun, envy orange, red hornets, darth mauls, radioactive dragon eyes, blue ice, coppers, orange nipples, guava green palys)

Blasto

Blue-green stag

St. Thomas Mushrooms

Montipora Confusa

Unknown SPS

Wide Shot:

wide.jpg

FTS:

7gfts01.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it is the bowfront version. The light seems plenty bright, and it has a very nice goose neck and housing...but I don't know what the corals will think.

I'm not sure about adding the MP10? I don't know if it will just be overkill for the tank? If I don't use it, it will just be sitting in a box.

Here it is all cleared up:

7gfts02.jpg

Stocking will depend on what's around. I'll probably end up with two small fish. Coral will probably be zoas.

If I had a tiny heater, I could fit it in my surface skimmer box. I haven't seen any tiny ones with a temp dial.

Added some corals that I took from my 3g (I am going to try GSP in there). I also picked up an O. clown from my LFS. He is a little bigger than what I had planned on, but he was the healthiest clown in the store. Here are some pics:

New FTS:

7gfts03.jpg

Orange Zoas:

oranges.jpg

Nuke Greens:

nukegreens.jpg

Clown:

oclown7g.jpg

I've been off NR for a couple months and I was sad to see you broke down your 40B--I enjoyed following that build. It looks like this tank is off to a great start though. Can't wait to see how it looks in a couple months!

Moved stuff around a little. I found a tailspot at my LFS, so I pulled the trigger. I also found a cool mushroom, that is either a yuma variety or a st. thomas? Pics:

FTS:

7gfts04.jpg

Tailspot:

tailspot.jpg

Mushroom:

stthomasmush.jpg

So I received my par30 from ledtric...and surprisingly I was disappointed. The bulb isn't nearly as bright as the beamworks unit. I am going to try and return the bulb and clamp if I can. If not, I will either keep it as a backup or sell it on my local reef forum. I guess it is possible that the par30 would have been better for corals, but I was really surprised how much less light it cranked out than my current fixture.

What are the dimensions of your tank? I plan on going with the beamswork, and I want to make sure I'm going to have good coverage.

My tank is 14X14X14

Moved the yuma to my 3g. Picked up a darth maul and a purple death (both singles). Still waiting on the MP10 wet side. The first one they sent me was defective and it knocked like a motor boat. The tank seems to be doing ok without the extra flow, so I am interested to see what happens when I add it. I also decided to stick with the beamworks light for now and I am going to keep the par30 as a backup light (for both of my tanks). I am probably going to get an utter chaos polyp and a green birdsnest frag this weekend.

thanks!!

Emailed Mike over at ledtric. I am going to swap out my par30 for a par38 with 120 degree optics. Only bummer is that the par38's won't be in until the end of the month. The corals seem to be doing fine under the beamworks light for now.

Archived