ReefCleaners.org

Bob's 7.5G Long, the re-boot

coachfraley

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually in your case I'd look at the rock-mag or craft your own out of whatever rock scrap you might have left over. It'll look better as the texture of your existing scape will match.

• Like 1

Actually in your case I'd look at the rock-mag or craft your own out of whatever rock scrap you might have left over. It'll look better as the texture of your existing scape will match.

Do you know where I can get good magnets to use?

So I looked through my junk box in my shed, and I had an old frag mag!!! No joke. I think im going to try to mount it to a small piece of LR.

I also started getting my ac70 ready. I'm spray painting it black to see if it helps contain the light spill from the fuge

Made some equipment changes today. Added a black background. Added my AC70 fuge with the InTank media basket. I'll be running floss, chemipure elite, and chaeto. The light on the fuge will be a nanoglo that I will run 24/7. Here are some pics of the rig. Tank is cloudy from the gunk in the chaeto.

7gwithac70.jpg

Closeup...you can see I painted the unit black, but not the input tube, which is covered in old corraline.

ac70setup.jpg

Growth has seemed to pick up! Most of the zoa colonies are adding new polyps. The par38 should be here within a week or two. Very excited about what it will do for my zoas.

I was starting to feel like I had lost my touch with SW after my 40g tank. Nothing grew at all in there and I could never figure out why. It turned out that my MP10 was rusted out, and I'm starting to think that it might have been the problem???? Anyway, it feels really good to finally see some growth again!

So I didn't have any luck with my first batch of chaeto. It just turned to mush!? I am going to wait a few weeks and then try again...I will probably get the chaeto from another source.

Stocking is the same. I might add a rainbow acan that they have at my LFS. Thanks for looking in!

7gfts10.jpg

I had a setback last night. The rock in the top right portion of my tank had some bryopsis growing on it, so I took it out and did peroxide dip. Unfortunately my nuke green colony didn't handle the dip well. It turned into a big gummy mess, so I ended up removing the frag so it wouldn't "nuke" the whole tank with toxins. The flaming sun zoas handled it fine, in fact, they started opening up within a few hours.

I moved my red hornet frag into the spot where the nuke greens were. In a way, the nuke greens weren't really a good fit for that spot anyway. They would have grown over the flaming suns eventually. I got a line on some very cool zoas locally, so I will probably pick up one or two more varieties.

So I picked up 3 new zoas today...some funky names: king leonidis, Chinese New Years, and ares shields. Mounted them tonight, but they are still closed. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Those Chinese New Year zoanthids look a lot like Whammin Watermelon morphs. Very cool!

They might be some kind of morph. I think the guy I got them from made up the name. They are a lot smaller than normal whammin watermelons. They are about the size of mean greens.

Added a candy apple red single today too, lol.

F'in zoa pox!!!!!!!

Ugh!

Bummer. How many frags affected? I think people have used a variety of dips to cure that: freshwater, iodine, peroxide, Revive, and CoralRX come to mind.

coachfraley

Bummer. How many frags affected? I think people have used a variety of dips to cure that: freshwater, iodine, peroxide, Revive, and CoralRX come to mind.

My Neon greens, red hornet, and tubbs blues. I will do some research and decide on a dip.

coachfraley

I pulled the neon greens, the tubs blues and some of the king leonidas zoas. They were starting to dissolve, and I didn't want them fouling the tank. The rest of my frags look pretty good, but I will probably lose my red hornets too. I will give them a few more days.

On a positive note. My par38 came in today from ledtric. Colors looks way better under this bulb. Mike also hooked me up with 60, 90, and 120 optics!!! I'm going with the 120 for now, but I might end up switching to the 90's.

I also visited a great new fish store that had some amazing acans, so iI picked up a frag. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Aww man, those were some nice zoanthids you lost. My Tub's Blues are acting up, too. I hope they're just adjusting to the new tank. Can't wait to see the pic of the acan. Those are probably my favorite type of coral, I just haven't found any good looking frags for sale online yet.

coachfraley

Aww man, those were some nice zoanthids you lost. My Tub's Blues are acting up, too. I hope they're just adjusting to the new tank. Can't wait to see the pic of the acan. Those are probably my favorite type of coral, I just haven't found any good looking frags for sale online yet.

Have you checked out aquasd? Their shipping is expensive, but their acans are crazy.

Have you checked out aquasd? Their shipping is expensive, but their acans are crazy.

I just checked out their website and it looks like they have some great pieces. I vaguely remember a thread on NR a while back where people were having not so great experiences with them though--I might be wrong, I'll have to look for it later. Have you ordered from them?

coachfraley

I just checked out their website and it looks like they have some great pieces. I vaguely remember a thread on NR a while back where people were having not so great experiences with them though--I might be wrong, I'll have to look for it later. Have you ordered from them?

No I haven't, but they are sponsors of my local reef forum, and I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with them. I have never ordered from them online because I am still planning to make it down to their shop eventually. They are only an hour and a half away.

lnglostsurfer

Man this tank is really coming together. Definitely keeping an eye on this because I want to have a zoa dominated tank I think. Too bad about the "zoa pox" hopefully you will be able to make a full recovery, I know some people that have had great luck with the peroxide dips assuming it was the same thing. I'll definitely be following this to see how everything goes. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
coachfraley

How are the zoas doing now with your new Par 38?

The zoas look better under the par38, I can't vouch for their growth, because my tank pretty much crashed after the zoa pox. I lost several big colonies of zoas and I think that they fouled the tank...Then I had a bad cyano outbreak. I've been doing 25% water changes every couple of days for the last week, and things are finally starting to shape up. Cyano is going away, and just about all the remaining corals look like they are going to make it. I lost quite a bit though. When things go south in a small tank, they sure go south fast!!!

I lost 3 varieties of zoas and my blue/green stag. Everything else appears to have made it through.

I got rid of the chaeto in my ac70 during the cyano outbreak (it just seemed to be a cyano breeding ground). Now I am just running floss, chemi-pure elite, and purigen.

Archived