Pod Your Reef

Bonnie Shallow Reef - 75 gallon mixed reef

polarblair2000

polarblair2000
just dropping by to see whats up. lookiing awesome :D

Thanks for dropping by. Things are moving along bit by bit. I'm hoping my tank is coming soon so I'm trying to get the stand ready enough so I have somewhere to put it. Right now the top of the stand is all assembled, glued and the top is varnished, just the underside to do! :)

This looks amazing! Following along. Good luck I love these tanks!

Thanks for following along. Yeah I love these tanks to (stupid reply as I guess that's pretty obvious...) I hope you like the end result.

im so jealous of people's water changing station...i gotta go something about mine

Haha, we'll changing out 5 litres of water a week in a bucket is enough hassle for me as it is... I couldn't imagine what I would have to do to change out 30-40 every water change so I decided that ill try and make life easier for myself. :) you should get one set up.

• Like 1
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i have to lug a total of 30 gals everytime i do a water change. usually tired out after im done with the whole process.

polarblair2000

yeah i have to lug a total of 30 gals everytime i do a water change. usually tired out after im done with the whole process.

Oh man that would put me right off! Good excessive though I guess.

Anywhoo my tank is getting delivered on Monday!... Wait how do I get that little running emoticon on my iPhone? Ok imagine it was there so you can see how excited I am.... Very excited!

I'm definitely following this build. That stand looks like it's going to be a beauty! Besides, a reef tank built someone Scottish? Count me in! All this needs in the future is a video of the tank all set up with a Scottish voice over and I'll be a happy camper. :)

Also, if that is your wife's owl pillow...it is so cuuuute!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
polarblair2000

...More on the stand build

Its almost finished

Things have been moving on lately, Im still waiting for the tank to arrive along with my lights, both of which should be arriving on Monday. omgomgomg

So until then Im just preperation as much as I can. As of now the stand is pretty much finished minus some holes to drill to allow for plumbing, wires etc... and the doors of course. The Tank was supposed to come at the begining of the week but they were having problems with the sump which delayed things, then they realised there was a height difference between to of the panes of glass which was about 3mm. I saw a picture of it and wasn't happy but they have fixed it so thats fine but It means I'll have to wait till monday to get the tank... Not to disastrous but I just want to get the tank in.

Bored?... Yeah me too... here have some pictures to look at instead. B)

8392043105_5912874cd5_c.jpg

This is the electrical partition. (obviously this isn't facing the right way but its just so you can get a better idea of what it looks like)

8392043501_73391b29fa_c.jpg

This is my dosing pump box. Ok I know its not the prettiest box in the world... but its my box and I love my box.

8393127820_51a43bfd66_c.jpg

Tada! Here is the stand (facing the right way now) with the top on, another part of my stand that I love and will not tolerate any comments that sate other wise. It was a right pain to make.

8392044037_d3d06701b8_c.jpg

Almost finished!

8392044457_6eb77cb12c_c.jpg

Here is the stand as it looks today.

- I siliconed all the inside seams of the stand firstly because it looks better and secondly to help keep it somewhat water tight.

- I have cut the 6mm neoprene rubber sheets to size for both the display tank and the sump.

- Started to install some of the reef gadgetry that I have been purchasing recently.

8393128904_7e21b944b8_c.jpg

Now just wait... Imagine that picture with a brand new shinny rimless aquarium.

8392045073_d902152418_c.jpg

This is my dosing unit. Its the Kamoer 3 head dosing unit. I don't think I will be needing it from the beginning but I like to plan ahead.

8393129602_074b8985ca_c.jpg

Thats my Vortech MP40 controller, flashing led gizmo. Then along from that will be where I will be putting my Apex display controller gizmo as soon as they come out in the UK (should be this month but I'll believe that when I see it)

8392045785_c3f11e1047_c.jpg

Below my dosing unit are these three beauties... Well there really over glorified water jugs, or plastic tubes but they are beautiful plastic tubes :wub:

8393131136_d0856a11bf_c.jpg

Here is the last one for today, a close up of my craftsmanship.

Next time I should hopefully have picture of the tank.

polarblair2000

I'm definitely following this build. That stand looks like it's going to be a beauty! Besides, a reef tank built someone Scottish? Count me in! All this needs in the future is a video of the tank all set up with a Scottish voice over and I'll be a happy camper. :)

Also, if that is your wife's owl pillow...it is so cuuuute!

Haha thanks for following along. A video in the future is most likely... voice over... now that may take some convincing. And Ill most likely disappoint you with my very diluted Scottish accent.

Haha, yeah thats hers, we got it on our honey moon. She didn't make it if thats what your asking. She did however make the Tunics Tea Cake pillow thats beside it (Don't know if you get them over the water but its the read round pillow)

Talk about thinking ahead! Nice little space you have there for your dosing pumps and the pre-built area for your gadgets.

And no, I would not be disappointed with the voiceover. Someone call it "ma bonny wee reef" in there and it will be excellent! I can't wait to see the stand with the tank on it!!! Excited for you!

• Like 1
polarblair2000

is that couch going to be relocated? seems like a pain to remove the couch every time you need to mess with the dosing station

The stand was a little closer to the couch than it will actually be, it will be nearer the wall opposite. There is enough room to easily change settings on the dosser, vortech controller and any other devices I have at the top from the couch. Its not perfect but I just have to work with what Ive got.

polarblair2000

Thanks for all the nice comments guys and gals.

I have to confess I've been holding out on you all. The tank arrived on Monday! It's look fantastic but I've been so busy with work and I still need to align it properly which Apparnatly isn't a 1 man job. Ask my back, he's not happy.

I'll post up some pictures tommorow.

I just got the last load of plumbing. I got a 1 1/4" ball valve for the DT drain, that thing is huge!

Ro/do unit is on its way and I just orderd my Apex unit. Just became available in the UK yesterday so that's pretty perfect timing.

Just need to wait for my skimmer to arrive, sand and LR and were good to go!

Plenty pictures on there way!

polarblair2000
You must have a REALLY understanding wife....... or you have re mortgaged the house? cant wait to see this build develop!

Or get a nice sized inheritance from my grandpa who passed at the beginning of last year. But my wife has been pretty good letting me drill holes through wallas and take up a large chunk of space :) - she admitted to me the other night after the tank came that's she's really excited to have it up and running.

polarblair2000

4. Tank has arrived!

Sorry for holding out on you guys but Im here now with updates. The tank arrived on Monday afternoon. Im very pleased with the final result, it looks beautiful :wub:

Soo I could ramble on but I dont really have much to say apart from I love it! I cant wait to get it wet and theres still so much to do! Heres some pics. ENJOY

8411056063_7b7d5f6ec9_c.jpg

There it is. All blue and sexy.

8411056469_600b22fb85_c.jpg

Here is the view from the living room door. (Temporary sump light just for demo purposes)

8412153276_74d6421e77_c.jpg

You will be seeing many photos as the tank progresses from this view I imagine.

8412153682_53d286fdbb_c.jpg

Less blue, but still sexy.

8411058875_425abcb49b_c.jpg

For size reference (Aye its real Scottish Whiskey)

8412155618_cb3de96682_c.jpg

8412156004_e5d9e8061b_c.jpg

I realised my couch is in the perfect place to get top down shots.

8411059995_2a88e7568a_c.jpg

Sumpy sump - Ill explain more about the sump in a future post once the plumbing is finished.

8411060391_e9711db49a_c.jpg

X-Aqua in-out overflow magic wavy box.

8412157142_8c1c4ae9eb_c.jpg

Vortech MP40 B)

8411061127_796f39380a_c.jpg

The End.

Hope you all enjoyed that, should keep you happy for a while ;)

• Like 2

I am so jealous of your wood work!!!!!

Great build and nice tank and sump. I think the whiskey makes it look so much better. That should be your center piece for the tank once its wet, lol.

Following....

Archived