Green Stripe Mushroom
Blue Ricordea
Eagle Eye Zoas
Bam Bams
Green Zoas

Rasta Zoas

xDetroitMetalx

The Story

I believe my first endeavor taking on a marine reef tank was early summer 2010. I have successfully built multiple freshwater set ups before and my last freshwater venture was a very nice African Cichlid tank. I enjoyed collecting Aulonocara, and spent many years doing so. Sadly, I decided to part out the set up and sell the live stock as I was graduating college. I didn't find it feasible to move such a large tank across the state along with all my other belongings.

GrumpyGills.jpg

Shortly afterwards I got the saltwater bug by something most people dread keeping. I was browsing YouTube videos and discovered the Mantis Shrimp... Wow, cool! I began to research them and became fascinated with them. Extremely cool animals. I built a little 7 gallon "Book Shelf" aquarium that you can buy at PetCo very cheaply. I stocked it with live rock, sand, a power head, and two HOB filters to act as a small refuge. Soon I had a little Wennerae Mantis Shrimp! During the time of this set up I was experimenting with the Mantis in addition to the tanks ability to support life. Before I converted it I placed in a Firefish Goby in addition to my Cherub Pygmy Angel. I still have these fish today (don't worry, I upgrade and move them to a larger tank quickly).

DSC_0001_2.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

As stated I upgraded by reusing an old 20 gallon tall I had. I converted the 20 into a salt tank while leaving the Mantis in his own little 7 gallon. At this time I believe I began collecting some corals and bought a couple more fish. Surprisingly I didn't kill anything yet at this time!

DSC_0002.jpg

Inside of a year I picked up my current 29 gallon set up which was on sale. I later found the HOB Refuge which greatly helped my water quality in such a small tank. Once I got everything stable I have been slowly collecting ever since. At this point in my reef keeping I was very careful in future fish and coral selections thanks to this site and others like it.

Unfortunately, my first mantis died, some how his home collapsed and trapped him with me unawares. I later found his corpse when I carefully began to search for him. I was devastated, so I bought another one and have been keeping him in the HOB Refuge. I have had the current mantis back there for a little over 2 years now.

I ended up moving the tank once after college, luckily it wasn't that difficult. The only fatalities I've had with this tank have been fish jumping out at it's current location. For whatever reason it has always been during the full moon. The tank is under skylights and I have been wondering if the fish see the moon in the middle of the night and jump out? Anyway, I solved the problem by covering the top with great care. Since I've added the tight cover there haven't been any more fatalities.

I moved for a year and during that time my father took care of this 29 gallon tank. He did an outstanding job, especially for not really knowing what to do besides what I told him over the phone. If you remember, I first posted on this site when I was building up a very species / coral specific 14 gallon Biocube. It was my greatest aquarium achievement at the time. The 14 Bio was exploding with life such as copepods and coraline algae within a 4-5 month time frame. The only fish were a pair of Yasha Gobies and their shrimp and the only corals were very nice zoas. The tank was almost on cruise control. The only thing I had to do was top off the water as I rarely had to feed the fish as they had a bountiful choice of pods.

Sadly, the new "life" in Oregon didn't work out. My fiancee and I decided to move back to Michigan. There was no way to bring the tank or it's inhabitants with us so I had to sell the whole set up for nearly nothing. Luckily it has a good home and the tank is still doing well!

DSC_0052_2.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

So this brings us to the current setting of my story. I am in control of the 29 gallon again and have recently purchased some new corals while upgrading tank lighting. There are a few more things I would like to add equipment wise as well as expanding the coral selection with a lot more rarer corals. Unfortunately, because this is really my first marine tank it's not as well planned as I would like it to be, however, I believe I can make it work!

xDetroitMetalx

Equipment / DIY

The new light system I guess I can call DIY? I'm happy with the Ecoxotic LED Stunners and Pros at the moment. I ordered from Ecoxotic directly and received their newest renditions of their Pros... I'm not sure if they upgraded their stunners as well. I'm hoping to add some UV Stunners to the system here soon. My goal is to run the UV/Actinic for an hour or two early in the morning then combine the Pros/Magenta for a daylight cycle and then run the UV/Actinic for an hour later before bed. The LEDs stay extremely cool thanks to the original cooling fans inside the light housing.

I scraped this idea as it was casting a huge shadow in the back wall of the tank which wasn't appealing and made coral placement a pain.

DEC_121212_001_zps40b3b8d3.jpg

The current stage of mounting my lighting as of February 2013 consist of some great ingenuity with small pockets combined with PVC Pipe, "egg" crate, butt ton of zip ties, some insulation with reflective foil to create a top. This actually works extremely well and allows versatility in the lighting positions and overall coverage... However, It aesthetically looks like crap!

REEF_TANK_020313_6_zpse9649e3d.jpg

REEF_TANK_020313_7_zpse0f06df4.jpg

REEF_TANK_020313_8_zpsb592aabe.jpg

REEF_TANK_020313_9_zps133c7edf.jpg

xDetroitMetalx

Fish

DEC_121212_006_zpsb5faa8d5.jpg

Twin Spot Blenny

DEC_121212_007_zps5300f010.jpg

Cherub Pygmy Angel

DEC_121212_008_zpsf0b208c3.jpg

Wants some kisses

DEC_121212_009_zps8f58d038.jpg

Clowns

DEC_121212_010_zps962e002c.jpg

Blue Dot Watchmen

DSC_0021.jpg

Wathcmen watching out for Tiger Pistol Shrimp aka Dozer

DEC_121212_011_zps4593244c.jpg

Firefish Goby

xDetroitMetalx

Corals / Inverts

LED Actinic Lighting

DEC_REEF_007-1.jpg
Green/Blue Rock Nem and Red Rock Nem and Duncan

DEC_REEF_001-1.jpg
Zoas look fantastic with the stunners

DEC_REEF_002.jpg
Green Candy Canes brighter than ever

DEC_REEF_003.jpg
Tripping on Shrooms

REEF_TANK_020413_11_zps177187ea.jpg

Eating more shrooms!

DEC_REEF_006.jpg
Red Rock Nem showing off

DEC_REEF_005.jpg
Blue/Green Rock Nem getting settled

REEF_TANK_020413_7_zps969165c3.jpg
Crab wants a hug?

EcoExotic Day Light Shots

REEF_TANK_020313_3_zpsa8db4834.jpg
Right side of the tank is very... Tentacle-ishly...

REEF_TANK_020313_4_zpsb40c34e9.jpg
Center of tank has many various shrooms.

REEF_TANK_020313_5_zps7228a0f6.jpg
The left side is my zoa "garden"... It needs work!

xDetroitMetalx

The Frag Rack

REEF_TANK_020313_2_zpsfc1f66b6.jpg

Superman Monti and Rasta Zoas growing nicely!

REEF_TANK_020313_1_zpsd31414a5.jpg

Nothing extremely exciting... It's all doing well though.

REEF_TANK_020413_9_zpsaf5bcb7f.jpg

Rasta Zoas under Blue and UV stunners.

Old Compact Fluorescent Lighting

DSC_0045-1.jpg
Green Frogspawn I sold, began as a single head and I sold it at 9 heads

DSC_0036-1.jpg
Star Polyps exploding in my tank

DSC_0033-1.jpg
Green Shrooms

DSC_0024-1.jpg
Random Shrooms

DSC_0021-1.jpg
BamBam Zoa

DSC_0012.jpg
Duncan Colony

DSC_0009-1.jpg
Red Rock Nem

xDetroitMetalx

The Couple That Refuses to Sleep Together

REEF_TANK_020413_4_zpsccf3a472.jpg

The male fluffing his duncan pillow.

REEF_TANK_020413_zps540be8bf.jpg

Finally some good nights rest away from the misses.

REEF_TANK_020413_5_zps28c94390.jpg

The misses waving goodnight in the frogspawn.

REEF_TANK_020413_6_zps5b6c088b.jpg

The frogspawn and duncan are nearly side by side... It's almost like a couple sharing a room with twin beds.

• 1 month later...
xDetroitMetalx

Finally got some updates, enjoy.

Cliff Notes:

- I changed the lighting set up by adding UV Stunners and making a super ghetto lighting frame and cover.

- I bought more things!

- Reef Cleaner CUC

- Another Rock Nem

- Porcelain Crab

- Rastas off a member on this sight

- Two types of encrusting Montis

- A new pump for the HOB Fuge

- New GOOD timers... Finding good timers are hard to find!

- More photos, because, you need them.

• 5 months later...

Archived