Pod Your Reef

GrandeGixxer's Solana 34

GrandeGixxer

This tank has been set up for about 4 months now. It started as a mixed reef, quickly turned into an sps tank. I bought the nuvo 16 to transfer most of the softies into(in another thread). I had a non dimmable led unit over it, I was getting great growth, but it was bleaching some of my lower light sps. I just upgraded to a sol super blue a couple of days ago. I like it so far.

The tank has the following equipment:

2x MP10

Tunze 9002 with in tank cup and the airline upgrade.

Jbj ato

A heater

DA Reef Keeper Lite

My dosing is pretty simple

B-ionic a&b

Bright well magnesion

Lugols

I also run chemipure elite and purigen. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes. I love this tank! It is by far the easiest tank I have ever had to keep healthy. I have way better colors than I have had with previous tanks. Enough text, here are the pics!

1b715469b29b1a1a5f469f0c1fbac300.jpg

2a8daf065d1bc23b70aee37e578089ff.jpg

I'll add some more pics when I am done with the coral acclimation mode with the new light. Enjoy!

Here are a couple updated pics. Got a couple new sps, I keep saying that I'm done buying corals for this tank, but I am only lying to myself, lol! I am at the point where I am going to have to get rid of a couple larger pieces that aren't spectacular to make room for the ones that I do like to grow out.

Without further ado, here are the pics!

9d04cd23b9f5faf85d0294b06f5b548d.jpg

3ac1b69932a54777cc148d2b754885a1.jpg

a18078ead8d794566c185c540f4922fb.jpg

4541ec891bd643041f1ab530ec9e2f82.jpg

Feedback?

New full tank shot and a couple growth pics. Got a yellow coris wrasse today to eradicate the red flatworms. He immediately buried himself in the sand. I'll get a pic of him when he comes out.

316c2de989fc8916269858cf47ca64b4.jpg

ORA Birds of paradise grows fast!

9bc21ba4acc3a4084cbe458a096bd540.jpg

I'm losing color on a couple pieces, I thought I was bleaching them. Talking to a local guy the other night, he seems to think that when I switched to the sol, that they aren't getting enough light. I have it at 40% white, 95% blue and 95% royal. I'm going to ramp up 5% every week until I get to where the corals are happy. :)

Had to pimp my sol today. Gt rid of the horrendous hanging kit and made my own hangars.

From this

5cc8c7140177989b8d1f1545367641c8.jpg

To this

b2cae0f0fe973cba8a4742ffa075976f.jpg

Yes that is real carbon fiber!

No other changes to the tank, getting a calcium reactor soon though.

I didnt ever run the stock skimmer so I wouldnt have a comparison. When I got the tank used, it had both but the stock one was broken in a few places. I have done the mod to the Tunze and it works very well. The loudest part of the tank, which is pretty loud btw, is the overflow into the little box part in the back. I sometimes put some filter floss in there when it starts to annoy me. I really like the AI Sol, especially with the new controller. It will be really nice when the tablet app and wireless module for the fixture come out, I'm looking forward to that!

GrandeGixxer

It is hard to find a happy medium between having enough rock to provide enough bio-filtration and to not have a rock wall. I don't like these newish bio reactors. I prefer keeping it simple, Berlin method. I have enough stuff wired into this tank already, the only other thing I'm adding is a ca reactor. I just picked up this beast, I could set it up now, but I want to upgrade it a little before I do. I'm going to get an aquarium plants electronic regulator and an sl2 so I can control it with the reef keeper.

GrandeGixxer

Calcium reactor, I think it's big enough!

a46de69c82418456bdf267bd5f9f95f3.jpg

New Seasons Greetings Monti

dd764bd1f8047cd4a349419726d0d22c.jpg

New full tank shot, the lights are ramping down already so it's a little bit blue.

67c00a09f762e2c0004155cfba62c179.jpg

GrandeGixxer

I just started dosing a couple of new items last week. I'll report their workings in here. I'm using the Brightwell Reef Bio-fuel and the Brightwell Koral Kolor. Trying to get some color back in a couple of pieces that I bleached when I switched lights. My Hulk is pretty much all a pastel yellow color instead of a nice dark blue base and bright yellow tips. My raspberry limeade is a little bleached as well and my red planet has never had the typical green tissue with red polyps. If these 3 could turn it around, I would be very happy. All 3 are growing, just crappy coloration.

GrandeGixxer

My lights are about 10" off the water. They come on at 1100 with a ramp time of 1 hour, 50% white, 100% blue, 100% royal. They turn off at 10 pm also with a ramp time of am hour. Lunar cycle on, storms at 100%, 3 per day.

Thank you very much! I have been out to sea since Thursday(Navy). I'm hoping everything fared well with my tank sitter. I might go ahead and set up the Ca Reactor this weekend. I just found out that I can't run an SL2 with my RKL so I will just set it up with the ph controller for now. I have to test the ph probe and make sure that it is working properly. I'll post some new pics after I get it cleaned up tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

So this tank has been through a few changes, all for the better. I upgraded to a Vega light and hung the Sol Blue over my 16 gallon tank. I have had some pretty good growth, and colors are much better Under the Vega. Sadly, this tank will be coming down on the 1st. Not so sadly, everything will be going into an 80 starfire cube! I just got the new tank on Saturday, I need to clean it up, get it plumbed and then I will be moving to my new place on the 1st. It will be the first thing to go to the new place, then on the 2nd, I will move all livestock. I am going to set up the IM 16next to the new tank, I will drill the back once I find out if it is tempered or not. It will just be a frag tank. The stand it will sit on will house my chiller, Ca Reactor/Co2 bottle and ATO resivoir. Another big improvement I made to the tank is that I quit messing around with all the B.S. ATO units and went ahead and bought an Osmolator from Tunze. Much happier with it. It actually works, like all the time!

I'll keep the thread updated and then link to the new thread once the new tank is up and running. Happy reefing!

Archived