Coral Vue Hydros

Jersey's Macro tank

jersey

Well, here it is.. I made the switch to the 20L today and decided to start the thread up..

Previously this was in a 10g tank but was very crowded in there.. So I convinced the wife to let me use the 20.. Everything was moved directly from the 10 to the 20 nothing new added.. so hopefully no cycle even though the sand bed I'm sure released a ton of crap.. I figure adding the extra water should also mitigate any issues, but I'll keep an eye out and do water changes as needed.

Equipment: 2 Aquaclear 50's
filter 1: Seachem Purigen, sponge, rock rubble
Filter 2 Chemipure elite, sponge and rock rubble

They are both going to also be modded to make mini algae scrubbers on the outlet.

I also run a biocube protien skimmer.

Lighting is coming soon.. for now I am using 4 CFL 6500k bulbs. has done well for the 10, but I'd like something a little cleaner looking.. may build my own canopy.. not sure yet.

Lifve stock

2 sailfin mollies that i converted to salt
various hermits and snails
Cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
Sand Sifting Starfish
Tuxedo erchin who was banished from the display

Macro Algae
Violet Flames
Red Dragons (looks like just LA reefs name for red titan)
Martian Rose
Blue Scroll
Red Gracilaria
Lucky Metalic Color Shifting
Brown Gracilaria
Red Palm
Red Titan
blue ochtodes
Codium
Enteromorpha
Coin Halimeda
Mermaids Fan
Shaving Brush
Sargassum
Red Grape
Spicifera
Turtle Grass
Green Grape
Cheato
Caulerpa Prolifera
Violet Dreams (pretty sure this was misnamed got it from a member here I think it might be the same things are violet flames from LA Reef)
CYMOPOLIA BARBATA (mostly dead on arrival going to get some from GCE when they get it in stock. this batch was off ebay)
Laurencia
Botryocladia

I'm waiting on stuff to come in to GCE he said next week he should have some new reds in, as well as some other rare stuff.

Current tank shot.
IMG_8493_zps1fa81989.jpg
Older shots...

photo1.jpg

More updates to come.. I also need to organize the macro's a little to make things look nicer.

I'll also get some closeups of individual algae as well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I rather like it how it is now.

I am really confused what that is on the far right though. It looks like chunk of styrafoam to me.

I'll get a close up.. It's a fossilized conch shell it has Blue O. growing on it.

Thanks everyone.. I'll have some better shots when the lights come back on tomorrow.

Here are some shots of various macro's in the tank.. Not the best shots, but it works for now.. I'm adding more flow to the tank this week because I am getting some buildup in some plants.

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8406.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg

IMG_8403.jpg

IMG_8402.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

Pistol doing a burnout.

IMG_8377.jpg

Gobie leading him out of the cave..

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

IMG_8270.jpg

IMG_8266.jpg

IMG_8265.jpg

Found this little guy the other day when I was about to clean the glass... Not sure what type of Nudi he is, but There is only a couple of corals in there and they are sick already, so I don't think he will do much damage if he is a coral eating type.

IMG_8241.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

• Like 1
That fossil is cool. :) Did you find it or did you buy it?

It was given to me a while ago. We used to have a ton of fossil's and minerals really nice display specimen quality stuff, but we lost it all in a house fire :(

I'm trying to get my wife back into it.. it was her hobby but since we list everything she kind of threw in the towel and gave up on it.

Well glad at least one of them survived.

Sorry to hear about that, fires tend to ruin stuff. :( I helped shovle out an old stone house that the inside burned out of. The guy who owned it told us to keep an eye out for any of his coin collection. I think we found one jar that was mostly intact. Most of it melted or got water and ash on it, and that had eaten into the metal by the time we found it. Stupid fires runing great fossils/rocks/money/anything.

Gald you guys made it out.

I hope she picks it back up. I always enjoyed finding things like that, though never found any that large. The biggest one I have is about the size of my hand.

Well glad at least one of them survived.

Sorry to hear about that, fires tend to ruin stuff. :( I helped shovle out an old stone house that the inside burned out of. The guy who owned it told us to keep an eye out for any of his coin collection. I think we found one jar that was mostly intact. Most of it melted or got water and ash on it, and that had eaten into the metal by the time we found it. Stupid fires runing great fossils/rocks/money/anything.

Gald you guys made it out.

I hope she picks it back up. I always enjoyed finding things like that, though never found any that large. The biggest one I have is about the size of my hand.

Yea, the bummer of it all was most of the stuff was savable.. They just refused to let us go in and get ANYTHING.. We had to call animal control because they where trying to board the house up with one of my cats still inside. The fire started in a neighbors condo.. Then spread from the adjacent building to out building which was 3 condo's.. We had the entire downstairs and then there where 2 above us. The 2 units above us burnt out but all we had was water and smoke. The association said we where not allowed in.. boared it up and hired security so.. Insurance refused to help with recovering irreplaceable items took a year for them to pay out too.. was a huge mess.. but it's in the past and we've rebuilt a lot in the 3 years since. We didn't bother going back to that area.. Too many bad feelings.

We did go to one mineral and fossil show, and she did replace a few things, but nothing like we had. I got a pretty cool fossil of a dwarf deer that was fully intact.. about the size of a shoe box. And we picked up some slates with fern and trilobite imprints.. Eventually she will get back into it and be able to set up a display like we used to have. I just have to keep encouraging her. Maybe if I add another tank or two... haha

No new plants. but I did get a new light.. but it SUCKS..

I should have done more research.. I picked up a nova extreme light for the 20 long and it looks great, well built but the bulbs leave 3 inches on each side dark.. I picked up a couple of double sockets, and I am going to make another hood for it..

I did get a couple of new fish too.. A Cherub angel, and a Purple stripe dottieback which is probably going to a friend.. It was accidentally shipped with my order.. I ordered 2 coco worms, and the pygmy angel along with the buy one get one 1000 pod special from reefs2go and a blue mushroom rock.. The maze brian that I have in the tank is just about dead now :( I took it from a club member who was in mid tank crash, and it started witha little hole of skeleton and is now 75% skeleton.. I'm not sure if it will stop or just fade away.. What's left is puffed out and looks somewhat happyish.. Kinda bummed.. Was hoping I could save it.. it was beautiful.. I think a majority of the stuff was too far gone already by the time I got it.. But that's for my other thread.. lol

I still have my eye out for some more stuff, but haven't seen anything new hit GCE yet. The medussa's nest I got off ebay didn't make it.. I didn't think it would, but the other thing reddened up and is doing well.

I decided to get another shower caddy to hold the chaeto in and keep it in one nice section.. I am debating on putting it right under the overflow from the filter so that the water goes strait through the algae. Was also thinking I might just scrap the 2 50's and go with the 110 and diy it into a fuge with a media rack.. it would flow from the impeller down to the bottom of the filter, then up through the media and overflow into the chamber with chaeto in it with it's own light.

With all the plant life in this tank it might just be overkill though.. I'm mainly holding the chaeto in there until I can decide how I am going to build the fuge for the reef tank.. I want to do a macro tumbler and a algae scrubber, but I don't know if I want to do it with a sump.. I might try to make a hang on back diy one.. shouldn't be hard..

I don't know to much about brain coral but could you frag it and attempt to at least save a small section?

I have issues keeping my chato contained in my sump. I would go crazy trying in the main tank.

I don't know to much about brain coral but could you frag it and attempt to at least save a small section?

I have issues keeping my chato contained in my sump. I would go crazy trying in the main tank.

I've asked the dude 2-3 times but he keeps skirting the issue.. lol I don't want to go cutting up someone's stuff.. it seems to have stopped where it is.. for the past week I have noticed daily death and now today it seems to have stopped. If it stays like that there is a chance it will regrow over the skeleton. I'll just wait and see if the guy picks his stuff up.. he's been mia for 2-3 days now. The Chaeto is fine in it's little Caddy.. They work amazingly well. I used to have one in my main tank cut around the overflow but I wanted more room. and removed it. It was a GREAT pod growth area.

My chato is usually crawling with pods. And other things I don't want to touch like bristle worms... Tearing it up to part out can be unplesent at times. Stupid worms. :angry:

My chato is usually crawling with pods. And other things I don't want to touch like bristle worms... Tearing it up to part out can be unplesent at times. Stupid worms. :angry:

My worms are pretty much in the rockwork and sand. I do have tons and tons of pods in them though.. I am used to touching pods.. when I clean the filters out I have to brush off a bunch of them from the media bags and sponges. I enjoy watching them almost as much as the fish and corals.. lol Bristleworms on the other hand do hurt.. I try to avoid touching them unless I am using tongs.

I don't mind the pods. I have to flick them out of my filter media when I rinse it. They are a lot of fun to watch. It is things lurking in the chato, like the bristleworms and aptasia, I don't want to touch.

Nice looking tank. That Nudi looks like a zoanthid eater.

Yea, that's what I figured it was.. Can't do any harm in the macro tank.. I'll keep an eye in the reef tank to see if I find more.. if I do they move out.

So, I finished my lighting.. That stupid Nova light is still there, but I decided to raid the garage and make my own light as well.. I took an old 48" standard t-12 I had kicking around and took the dremmel to it.. :)

I cut it down to 30" dremmeled out spots for 2 switches, and put in 4 side mounting light outlets. I then cut out some polished aluminum for reflectors, and screwed in 4 of the 6500k CFL bulbs.. It's not super pretty as the dremmel kinda rewelded the plastic so I just crabbed my tin snips and cut it out.. I then realized that it didn't fit under hte cabinet where the tank is, so I cut down the sides a bit.. THEN I realized that the in tank skimmer (old biocube airstone CC skimmer I had caused the fixture to sit too far up to use both lights. So, I notched out a spot for it to fit in there as well. Then got it all set up and added 3 of the True luman LED moonlight pods and I now get enough light to keep those plants happy AND I have moon lights to see my stuff at night.. Since I seem to wake up at 3-4am every night because my shoulder SUCKS I figured it would be nice to at least see my fish in that tank.

When the Nova is on the front of the tank, you can't even tell there is another light fixture behind it. Really happy with the outcome. I'll shoot a few picks tomorrow.. Time to let these pain killers kick in and go back to sleep.

The algae seems to be doing good.. Couple things didn't take too well, but I expected that as they aren't really suited for aquarium life.. All the fish, and inverts are loving the tank as well.

UGH! Attack of the Dino part Duex!

Noticed some on my Shaving Brush plant late last night.. I was going to do a big water change today, but last minute Christmas shopping killed my day.. We were trying to find the 24" rated R version of the TED doll, but had no luck.. Guess we're paying 150 for it on eBay... The things we do for our friends...

So, anyway, I noticed it was substantially up today, so I am going to try a large water change tomorrow before the family arrives in the evening. I hope this kills it off quickly.. I had the same issue in the 10g after about a month of it being up, a water change fixed it.. hope this time the same thing happens.. if not I guess the war begins...

Good luck with the Dino, Merry christmas.

Same to you (The merry christmas part not the dino.. I don't wish that on anyone!!) lol I'm going to pick up some more water Wed or Thurs and do daily water changes 10-20%.. The one I did knocked it down pretty well, but I think daily changes for a week should kill it off.

Archived