Cultivated Reef

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Nanofreak79

I write up my build here as a few members have pm's asking.

I purchased the aquatic life T5 kit. The kit includes ballast, clips and screw, as well as pre wired end caps....makes it super simple just push end caps onto bulbs. I also purchased the AL reflector kit, which includes clips, Just snap onto the bulb in between clips that hold bulbs on the rrazor.

Next I went to HD and purchased some bolts/nuts that would fit through the fins on the razor/heatsink. I will purchase different nuts for the reflectors. The bolts I used have rounded head which slightly pushes the bulb out of the clips holding it to the razor.

Once all connections have been made I routed wire down the top of the unit using the bolts sticking up to guide wire nicely to the end. I then wrapped with electrical tape very tightly so bulbs don't accidentaly get pulled off when moving fixture. I then used zip ties every foot or so , wires are pretty long, then covered with cover/sheath that covers the wiring all the way to the ballets. I have not noticed any strong heat or the fans coming on, bulbs are warm to the touch but not hot like a normal t5 fixture. I think the fins and large area is a great help for heat dissipation.

18007182315_b7e4fb7147.jpg20150523-103007-2 by -Nanofreak79-

18007185915_548b8ce7e0.jpg20150523-103129-3 by -Nanofreak79-

17820949759_66de67e69f.jpg20150523-103141-4 by -Nanofreak79-

17819553080_5cf95b8824.jpg20150523-103208-5 by -Nanofreak79-

17819610230_007b0c5039.jpg20150523-105453-1 by -Nanofreak79-

18007178095_f0eafc210e.jpg20150523-102941-1 by -Nanofreak79-

• Like 3
famousdan314

Hey everyone I have an extra 120 degree white reflector if anyone is interested. I'll take $11 including shipping. PM me if interested.

• 1 month later...
joel sandoman

I have the maxspect razor nano. I have had it about two years. I feel like in the last month my corals have lost signifigant color. Is there anything I should be doing to maintain my light? I know it is probably a water issue, but I want to to make sure I have all my bases covered. Thanks!

I have the maxspect razor nano. I have had it about two years. I feel like in the last month my corals have lost signifigant color. Is there anything I should be doing to maintain my light? I know it is probably a water issue, but I want to to make sure I have all my bases covered. Thanks!

I would test PO4 and Nitrates and see if anything is changing. I would think it's more related to the age of the tank rather than the light, but if you can rent a PAR meter it might be a good idea to test PAR as well.

• Like 2

^^^ when I had that issue, it was due to light being to strong ,so I ramped it down on the intensity.

Hey as far as the mod with the T5's , I would suspect that voids the warranty , right?

Nanofreak79

^^^ when I had that issue, it was due to light being to strong ,so I ramped it down on the intensity.

Hey as far as the mod with the T5's , I would suspect that voids the warranty , right?

Why? It's just running screws and nuts through the fins. Take them off and no harm done, never happened
Nanofreak79

The hybrid razor looks really awesome !

Thanks allot bro, I appreciate that.

I copied you and went with (2) blue plus bulbs.

I like that combo. I see some doing coral plus, but I don't think it looks all that great. Personal preference really. Maybe someday I'll mess around with combos.

• Like 1

I often looked at the sides of my nano razor and was like Hmmmm they could prob hold some mini t5s if that's even a thing. Good light it was though even without. :) All the same yours Is impressive

• Like 1
Xlayedoutx

I like that combo. I see some doing coral plus, but I don't think it looks all that great. Personal preference really. Maybe someday I'll mess around with combos.

I thought about messing around with it but remembered the look of my last tank that had Blue Plus bulbs. I couldn't be happier with it and even though it's only been a week I can already tell a difference in growth. I love the razor by itself but this definitely adds to it and gives me a look I had been missing.

• Like 1
Nanofreak79

Yep, I've seen good growth and happy corals. Biggest thing for me had been how well my zoa and palys have responded, popping babies and fully opening. I only run my T5's for about 5 hours out of 11. How long do you run yours?

• Like 1
Xlayedoutx

Yep, I've seen good growth and happy corals. Biggest thing for me had been how well my zoa and palys have responded, popping babies and fully opening. I only run my T5's for about 5 hours out of 11. How long do you run yours?

Thats good news because my Zoas and Palys look great but have not grown much at all in the year that I've had most of them. Hopefully this will jump start them. I have my T5's running for 6 hours out of 11.

• Like 1

7:00 A 0%, B 0%
10:00 A 20%, B 70%
12:00 A 40%, B 100%
17:00 A 27%, B 85%
18:30 A 1% , B 30%
20:30 A 0%, B 0%

i have a razor nano over a IM 10g

partyboizz01

Help!! I've had my Maxspect for a year now, my zoas are starting to stretch for light they spreaded from the plugs they were on to the rocks. My frogspawn has not showed anymore growth, mushroom is spreading torch coral Nothing and my ricordea has grown... I'm stuck at a stand still. Lost with lighting settings, I have a Nuvo 16

I guess I'm part of this club now :D I have a razor nano 16K over my 24x13x13 nano. Switched over from 24x 3w DIY bridgelux LEDs. I'm loving the colors so far.

06-15%20FTS%20640x501_zpscimzyppv.jpg

• Like 4

Why? It's just running screws and nuts through the fins. Take them off and no harm done, never happened

Well when I posted it ,I didn't catch that you found a screw that went thru the vent...I thought you might have drilled it with screws which in some cases voids the warranty. After inspecting my Razor now I'm on board and ready to mod mine as well.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1
Nanofreak79

Well when I posted it ,I didn't catch that you found a screw that went thru the vent...I thought you might have drilled it with screws which in some cases voids the warranty. After inspecting my Razor now I'm on board and ready to mod mine as well.

Thanks for the info.

You'll be shocked at how much just a couple T5's can make a difference.. When my T5!s come on corals open up more and those corals that don't like LEDs as much seem to do better under the combo. Good luck, Lmk if I can help with anything!
  • Like 1