Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have my tank up yet so I can't show you pics, but it's what I went with. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

I appreciated the fact that it is a full spectrum fixture that uses NW Led's instead of the usual CW. From videos and photos I have seen, corals look amazing, and they will be releasing user replaceable "LED Pad's" (not sure what they are calling them) where users can pick a pre-selected color spectrum to replace their own if they chose to.

Take a look at all the fixtures, and their price points, and the tanks that use them. Then make a choice. I won't blindly recommend something without knowing what your needs and personal preferences are. :P

I have the 27 inch 16k. Had it since release. This is the best led fixture I've used so far as far as color, looks, reliability, and ease of use. I have experience with 2 other LED fixtures that I wasn't happy with for various reasons.

B1EA21F8-E4F1-44AB-B2E4-C524995CAF15-235

• Like 4

I have the 27 inch 16k. Had it since release. This is the best led fixture I've used so far as far as color, looks, reliability, and ease of use. I have experience with 2 other LED fixtures that I wasn't happy with for various reasons.

WOW!!! good looking setup

Thanks. I run mine at 100% white and 75% blue for 4 hours. I prefer the less blue look. Colors from the corals are really nice compared to the other fixtures. My red planet is finally showing that green base. It was just pink with the other fixtures. _MG_2955_zps7296ff28.jpg

Why'd you have to post that picture? It looks so nice. I've got parts arriving from all over to do a DIY LED and now I kinda want to just hang a Razor up there. I'd been on the fence for a while.

just pulled the trigger on the 120W 16,000k Razor for my tank! i've been holding out for MONTHS for the JBJ Unibody 108 but decided to give up on it. was considering the AI Vega but tank mounted wouldn't look all that nice. with the look and price of the Razor I couldn't pass this up! can't wait until it comes!

Hey maxspect owners I was wondering would the 120w be an overkill on a 20Lx12x12. How far are the light clusters from the ends??

That's nearly my exact dimensions of the tank I bought my 20" Razor for!

From what I hear, it's waaay overkill. But being that both channels are adjustable, it doesn't really matter IMO. On the bright side you can always use it for a larger tank in the future ;)

I can't gve you much more info, as my tank isn't wet yet, but I just hung up the fixture yesterday and it looks GOOOOOOOD.

That's nearly my exact dimensions of the tank I bought my 20" Razor for!

From what I hear, it's waaay overkill. But being that both channels are adjustable, it doesn't really matter IMO. On the bright side you can always use it for a larger tank in the future ;)

I can't gve you much more info, as my tank isn't wet yet, but I just hung up the fixture yesterday and it looks GOOOOOOOD.

Just curious as to how you mounted this fixture at 20.5" over a 20" tank? I'm assuming you hung it, since the legs that come with it are over 23" fully retracted? How does it look? Can you post a pic?

Just curious as to how you mounted this fixture at 20.5" over a 20" tank? I'm assuming you hung it, since the legs that come with it are over 23" fully retracted? How does it look? Can you post a pic?

Only because you asked! Excuse the crappy photo and quality, just taken with my iPhone. No water in it yet as you could probably tell :P I tried the legs and my tank is far too short. I have it about 4" above the edge of the tank which is pretty close, but shouldn't be a problem, as i'll just run it at lower percentages. As you can see on such a small tank there will be some spillage of light. I'm really not sure if this will change once there is water in it, but it doesn't bother me at all.

photo-1.jpg

• Like 2

Only because you asked! Excuse the crappy photo and quality, just taken with my iPhone. No water in it yet as you could probably tell :P I tried the legs and my tank is far too short. I have it about 4" above the edge of the tank which is pretty close, but shouldn't be a problem, as i'll just run it at lower percentages. As you can see on such a small tank there will be some spillage of light. I'm really not sure if this will change once there is water in it, but it doesn't bother me at all.

photo-1.jpg

That looks sick, my tank is a PicO too! What are the dimensions of your tank? post a link for the build thread also!

That looks sick, my tank is a PicO too! What are the dimensions of your tank? post a link for the build thread also!

Thanks Sulfer! No build thread yet. I will be documenting it and creating one once I get the rest of my things. I'll post it here for sure and let you know once it's up.

It's a PicO custom 20x12x10 (wxdxh) Staphire (all 4 sides), Black Silicone and custom dual chamber filtration/overflow system. Basically my dream nano tank :D The pic has a custom acrylic top (prototype) on - which is a bit hard to see, but i'm getting Chris to make me a super awesome screen top once his suppliers come through for him!

Can you tell i'm excited? haha!

Going back to the Razor though, I researched and researched, and even though it's a tad overkill, the Razor had all the features i felt I needed with a price that was easy to swallow (okay not "easy" but considering what it does for features/spectrum, I was willing to shell for it! A steal IMO)

Thanks Sulfer! No build thread yet. I will be documenting it and creating one once I get the rest of my things. I'll post it here for sure and let you know once it's up.

It's a PicO custom 20x12x10 (wxdxh) Staphire (all 4 sides), Black Silicone and custom dual chamber filtration/overflow system. Basically my dream nano tank :D The pic has a custom acrylic top (prototype) on - which is a bit hard to see, but i'm getting Chris to make me a super awesome screen top once his suppliers come through for him!

Can you tell i'm excited? haha!

Going back to the Razor though, I researched and researched, and even though it's a tad overkill, the Razor had all the features i felt I needed with a price that was easy to swallow (okay not "easy" but considering what it does for features/spectrum, I was willing to shell for it! A steal IMO)

This is going to look sweet once its filled with corals! Now I'm debating between a razor and a custom led build.

Agreed, tank looks amazing. Can't wait to follow the progression!

Ooooh tough choice. I am the furthest thing from a DIY type guy, so it was a no brainer for me...

Plus even so, I don't think I could get the same "look" by doing DIY. The nice thing about a DIY Fixture is complete customizability, and most likely cost savings as well. The Razor is a pretty great "bag-for-buck" though.

Good luck deciding haha!

Hey guys, Tank still not wet, but I would like to have an idea of my settings to program. I have been playing around a bit, but really am not sure where to go :huh:

What settings are you guys using for your time points. The only reason i'm a bit concerned for mine is it's on a 10g tank about 5 inches from the water surface, and I don't want to fry anything! Here is what I had in mind. Too weak? (first A channel white, second B channel blue)

7:00am 0% 1%

10:00am 15% 40%

12:00am 30% 50%

4:00pm 20% 50%

7:00pm 15% 40%

10:00pm 0% 0%

Why haven't you posted a thread about your tank! I loved your previous tanks and this one looks special!

Okay revised. I guess it will be a good start for acclimating things.

7:00am 0% 1%

10:00am 10% 20%

1:00pm 30% 30%

4:00pm 10% 20%

7:00pm 5% 20%

10:00pm 0% 0%

Hey guys, I'm looking to achieve some good SPS coloration. My corals used to look really good under my old metal halide/t5ho combo but after the bulbs needed replacement, I let my corals stay under the insufficient lighting for months and they most of the more flamboyant colors. For example, my ORA green stylophora that used to be neon green is now pretty much purple/pink. My pocillopora is all back to normal coloration (pink with metallic green tips) and my acros are getting nicely colored but my stylo is still pink/purple and doesn't seem to be going green. My acans are also starting to get those really nice tie dye looking colors but they are not standing out.

What settings over a 30 breeder can I use to expect good coloration? 27" 16,000k unit.

Current light settings are as follows:

TP1: A: 0% B: 1% 11:00

TP2: A: 50% B:50% 13:00

TP3: A: 68% B: 100% 15:00

TP4: A: 77% B: 100% 18:00

TP5: A: 50% B: 50% 20:00

TP6: A: 0% B: 1% 21:30