Cultivated Reef

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

jedimasterben

The changes to the R420R line has been confirmed by CoralVue. This is the data that I have.

Old models:

~60w per LED pad

CH A

2x Cree XT-E warm white @ 1.3A

2x Cree XT-E royal blue @ 1.3A

2x Cree XT-E cool white @ 1.3A

(~29w power)

CH B

4x Cree XT-E royal blue @ 1.3A

3x Cree XP-E blue @ 860mA

2x SemiLEDs 'dual core' 410nm & 420nm @ 1.3A

(~35w power)

New models:

~65-70w per LED pad

CH A

2x Cree XT-E cool white

2x Cree XB-D neutral white

2x Cree XB-D warm white

2x Cree XB-D royal blue

2x Cree XB-D blue

(~33w power)

CH B

1x SemiLEDs 400-410nm

1x SemiLEDs 410-420nm
1x SemiLEDs 420-430nm

2x SemiLEDs royal blue

2x Cree XT-E royal blue
2x SemiLEDs blue

(~29w power)

The four colors of XB-D will be in one 'spot', as they are very tiny LED packages, so they will blend better. The issue is they have piss-poor output, they are comparable to the Cree XP-E line, which are several years old as it is. The violet LEDs are no longer EpiLEDs, the SemiLEDs chips they are now using will have much more output.

Why on earth they decided to use three different royal blue and two different blue is beyond me, especially choosing 2/3 and 1/2 to be much lower in output in comparison to what they could should have chosen. The Cree XB-D also have lower thermal and current tolerances, so I expect them to be driven at a lower current, reducing output more. Overall, there will probably be about the same amount of violet light, the same royal blue, less blue, and the same amount of white. I will be able to verify these assumptions if I can get the current levels for the LEDs on the new models.

So if I understand this correctly, the new light won't have better PAR output, just better blending and presumably less "disco ball"?

Why the 3 different whites? Is this to get from 16k down to the 15k they're quoting for the new light?

So this will essentially be a less efficient unit?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to try to figure out whether one of the Nanos will actually be better than the other, or at least what the real world differences will be.

jedimasterben

So if I understand this correctly, the new light won't have better PAR output, just better blending and presumably less "disco ball"?

It will still have dedicated terminals for the cool white and most royal blue, only the XB-D chips will be in the same 'slot' in the reflector.

Why the 3 different whites? Is this to get from 16k down to the 15k they're quoting for the new light?

Dunno. Maxspect is doing their own thing, whether it works or not.

So this will essentially be a less efficient unit?

Until I can get some amperage on the diodes or luminous/radiometric output of the LEDs like they did on the first R420R then I'm going to assume it's going to be close.

Did you ever get an answer on this? I have had the stock lights running on my Nuvo16 and just got the Maxspect Razor myself and currently have them maxing out at 45%. What did you end up doing?

Star much lower around 20 - 25% if you have corals. It looks dim to the eye but trust me you will fry LPS if you start that high, unless you are hanging it 18" above the tank or something. work up very slowly and I wouldn't ever go above 60% using the stock tank mount on your nuvo 16. Just my .02

• Like 1

Thanks Jedi

I guess it's just wait and see what the real world output of these ends up being. I can't imagine that they wouldn't have done their homework on this. They had a really popular light and I can't see them messing with it just for the sake of change.

I think it's just going to come down to whichever nano is available when I finally suck it up and drop the cash.

jedimasterben

Thanks Jedi

I guess it's just wait and see what the real world output of these ends up being. I can't imagine that they wouldn't have done their homework on this. They had a really popular light and I can't see them messing with it just for the sake of change.

I honestly don't know. I have no clue why the made the choices they made, and trust me, I've tried to contact them about it and find out lol.

I think it's just going to come down to whichever nano is available when I finally suck it up and drop the cash.

The old model will not exist. Coralvue has already received the new ones from Maxspect and they will start making their way to retailers as they reorder.

• 2 weeks later...
SebTheCubbyFox

This thread is just great. Thanks to you guys I pulled the trigger on my new Maxspect.

Just received my R42oR Nano 60W in the post today. Well I hope it is still the old model. Will see when I get back home and unpack it. Just have been thinking of the schedule for some time now. I'm looking to hang it over my 8gal pico reef that has only been setup few weeks back with few frags in it - zoas, green star polyp, button coral, finger coral. There is currently a 18W PL fixture on it, so I'm thinking of the following schedule for now and will be increasing it by 1% every day for the next week and then 1% every 2 days for another week until I'm happy with the look and the tank is happy too:

10:00 A:0 B:0

13:30 A:7 B:12

15:30 A:26 B:22

19:30 A:22 B:25

21:00 A:10 B:17

23:00 A:0 B: 1

I should reach the aim in around week 4.

My biggest concern is that I am starting too high considering I'm replacing an 18W light.

Could anyone comment?

Thanks,

Seb

jedimasterben

I wouldn't change anything on a daily basis. If you have only soft coral, I wouldn't stress over raising the intensity too much. Add another 5% or so every other week.

SebTheCubbyFox

OK, makes sense. I will do just that.

Have to say it is a neat piece of equipment. And I got the old model.

The only thing is that with my settings above the mmoonlight was still on @ 7am. Might need to put it on timer and have it off between say 3am and 10am.

Thanks,

Seb

OK, makes sense. I will do just that.

Have to say it is a neat piece of equipment. And I got the old model.

The only thing is that with my settings above the mmoonlight was still on @ 7am. Might need to put it on timer and have it off between say 3am and 10am.

Thanks,

Seb

If you want the moonlights off, change your 10:00am time to the time you want them to turn off.

For example, if you change it to 01:00 it will turn off at 1am. I'm pretty sure but 00:01 would be 12:01am but you'll have to verify that

SebTheCubbyFox

If you want the moonlights off, change your 10:00am time to the time you want them to turn off.

For example, if you change it to 01:00 it will turn off at 1am. I'm pretty sure but 00:01 would be 12:01am but you'll have to verify that

Would not setting the first time to say 1am trigger the light to increase gradually between 1am and 1:30pm to reach the 1:30pm setting?

Seb

Would not setting the first time to say 1am trigger the light to increase gradually between 1am and 1:30pm to reach the 1:30pm setting?

Seb

I don't think it would. I don't have a Razor but my Kessil Spectral Controller uses similar time blocks and if the "off" time is after midnight this is how the manual says to do it.

Because your 1:30pm setting is low, even if it does start to ramp up, I would think it would do it over a very short period of time.

Updated FTS
post-78004-0-33228400-1422907637_thumb.jpg
Here's mine about a year after buying the older model 27inch. I replaced the two outside lens with 120's and kept the center at 90.
I bleached a few of my Monti's because I messed up once and had the lights running on the stock program settings that reached 100% on A&B for about three weeks.

I'm running them at a max of 80% whites and 85% blues now. with the lights reaching

0-0% at 23:30 lights out.

0-1% blues at 6 am so I can check them out when it get up..

then they start to ramp up about 10am to a peak at 12:30. I'll get the exact time points when I get home.

Over all the light is worth the price.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the Maxspect Nano Razor come with a hanging kit as an option and if not, how are owners hanging them?

No the nanos don't come with the hanging kit, but I got mine on the coralvue website

I've seriously been looking into a Nano Razor for my 7.5 gal Mr Aqua bowfront but i'm concerned about some color issues i've read about.

I love the color of NanoBox and Radion but they are a bit out of my price range and Kessil just seems too windex blue.

I've always liked the sleek look of the Razor along with it's ability to function fairly well without an add on controler but am still a little worried about the Purplish hue i've read about and i've not seen one in person...Can anyone comment on this and post some pics of theirs etc.

Thanks very much.

I've always liked the sleek look of the Razor along with it's ability to function fairly well without an add on controler but am still a little worried about the Purplish hue i've read about and i've not seen one in person...Can anyone comment on this and post some pics of theirs etc.

Thanks very much.

The only purplish hue you will see is with iPhone/Android pics. I have the 27" 16k on a 29gallon standard and the colors are very well balanced when looking at it with the naked eye.

I've seriously been looking into a Nano Razor for my 7.5 gal Mr Aqua bowfront but i'm concerned about some color issues i've read about.

I love the color of NanoBox and Radion but they are a bit out of my price range and Kessil just seems too windex blue.

Thanks very much.

I previously owned the Razor 120w and I didn't think it had a purple hue, at least not to the point some photos seem. Cameras tend to pick up more purple on nearly any full spectrum unit, and a lot of people don't understand white balance :P

I now have a Kessil A160WE and it is great. After controller, they are close to the same price, and the new Kessil is controllable as well - so you can go from a pretty warm white to a deep blue. The nice thing about the Razor though is the controller is built in.

Both fine choices for your price range :)

Nano razor was really nice. Like others have stated there was no purple hue present unless taking a picture. I wish the mounting bracket fit with my AIO system.

Nano razor was really nice. Like others have stated there was no purple hue present unless taking a picture. I wish the mounting bracket fit with my AIO system.

I'm not concerned with the mounting bracket because i like to hang my lights.

I Tried that too. I have a 25g solana and ended up purchasing aquaticlifes mounting arms and they ended up being too short to get the light directly over the center. Instead of making a custom hanger from conduit again, I just purchased a Kessil a160. May be adding another to have two points of light over the tank.

This thread is just great. Thanks to you guys I pulled the trigger on my new Maxspect.

Just received my R42oR Nano 60W in the post today. Well I hope it is still the old model. Will see when I get back home and unpack it. Just have been thinking of the schedule for some time now. I'm looking to hang it over my 8gal pico reef that has only been setup few weeks back with few frags in it - zoas, green star polyp, button coral, finger coral. There is currently a 18W PL fixture on it, so I'm thinking of the following schedule for now and will be increasing it by 1% every day for the next week and then 1% every 2 days for another week until I'm happy with the look and the tank is happy too:

10:00 A:0 B:0

13:30 A:7 B:12

15:30 A:26 B:22

19:30 A:22 B:25

21:00 A:10 B:17

23:00 A:0 B: 1

I should reach the aim in around week 4.

My biggest concern is that I am starting too high considering I'm replacing an 18W light.

Could anyone comment?

Thanks,

Seb

I'm trying to wrap my brain around setting the time points as above....So, are there 6 time points and each of the 2 channels can be set differently at each time point.

So if i want to do a ramp up and down effect. I would set a point very low and the next point higher etc as such. I'm using fictitious numbers just to see if i understand..

1200 A--10 B--10

1300 A--20 B--20

1400 A--50 B--50

2200 A--20 B--20

2300 A--10 B--10

2330 A--00 B--00

Can i pick any times as set points or are they pre set? Also, i am assuming that from point to point the light just clicks over right away?

Can anything else be programmed in or controled and what happens to the programming with a power loss?

I know i'm asking a lot of questions but i really am considering this light and want to understand.

• Like 1

I'm trying to wrap my brain around setting the time points as above....So, are there 6 time points and each of the 2 channels can be set differently at each time point.

So if i want to do a ramp up and down effect. I would set a point very low and the next point higher etc as such. I'm using fictitious numbers just to see if i understand..

1200 A--10 B--10

1300 A--20 B--20

1400 A--50 B--50

2200 A--20 B--20

2300 A--10 B--10

2330 A--00 B--00

Can i pick any times as set points or are they pre set? Also, i am assuming that from point to point the light just clicks over right away?

Can anything else be programmed in or controled and what happens to the programming with a power loss?

I know i'm asking a lot of questions but i really am considering this light and want to understand.

So the way it works is that you have 6 time points and for each you have full control over 1) the time, 2) channel A, and 3) channel B. The time points aren't set, you can pick any time. In between time points, the light will slowly change over the entire amount of time to the next setting. So say you have your light at 0% on both channels at 10 am and then at 11 am you have it set at 60% A and 60% B. Over the hour between 10 am and 11 am, the light will slowly ramp up to the 60% on both channels. So it'll increase by 1% on each channel every minute for the 60 minutes. Your 6 timepoints and their percent settings are the extent of the programming other than setting the current time on your light so it knows what time it is. In addition to the mode where you program the light, you also have a preset program made by the company that you can select, and you have a manual mode where you can adjust the % of each channel but without a program. The manual mode is good for photographing the tank. When the power goes out, the light still keeps track of time and the program will resume as soon as the power comes back on.

On the old Razor, all the blues were on one channel and all the whites on another but on the new boards they have blues on both channels so how can you get a good crisp white with little blue if you so choose.

jedimasterben

On the old Razor, all the blues were on one channel and all the whites on another but on the new boards they have blues on both channels so how can you get a good crisp white with little blue if you so choose.

Nope.

razor-led-layout.jpg

EDIT: Well, I guess that is true of the '10K' model, but that one went away.