SaltCritters.com

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

reefernanoman

Yes I have the 120w. Corals responded well after I killed my LPS... Start at a very low % if you get this fixture, it is way more powerful than it looks by eye. I really feel like I made a smart purchase and haven't regretted it for a second.

Yeah, I have LED's and almost killed my LPS too lol. Now I have them at 50% :) .

What would you guys recommend for a Fusion 30L (36in long by 13in high). Light is mounted to the tank which is about 8-9 inches from the water line. Right now I'm running them at:

11:30 - 0%W 1%B

12:30 - 8%W 20%B

15:00 - 14%W 45%B

18:00 - 14%W 45%B

20:00 - 8%W 20%B

21:30 - 0%W 0%B

The tank is fairly new, only a couple months running. I plan on LPS and softies

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting a Nuvo 20 Gallon tank with dimensions of 24 length, 13 wide, 15"high. Is the maxspect Nano Razor R420R a good choice for this aquarium? The light itself is only 8.5" long X 10.5" wide but I read somewhere that it would cover a 24X24 space.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect_Nano_Razor_R420R_LED_Light_Fixture_20_Inch_LED_Light_Fixtures-Maxspect-0M30023-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

I liked the under $300 price tag too.

Thanks, I'll check it out. How high in the light requirments for corals do you have?

Ahh, just checked it out. That was the one I was afraid I would need. I was hoping not to break the bank (it's around $429 at best) but I think it's what I need.

• 1 month later...

I currently have a 20g tall reef tank with a 120w maxspect on it. I was thinking about upgrading to a 36" tank. With that said, do you guys think the 120w would work with a tank that size? I just don't want to break the bank again lol

I currently have a 20g tall reef tank with a 120w maxspect on it. I was thinking about upgrading to a 36" tank. With that said, do you guys think the 120w would work with a tank that size? I just don't want to break the bank again lol

No, you'll need the 160W at a minimum and even then light in the corners will be fairly low. The 120 degree lenses can help.

long post warning

Hey guys, new to these forums. This is one of the best threads I've come across amongst all of the reefing forums for maxspect razor questions. Many of you have some amazing tanks lit up by this fixture and I was hoping the razor gurus may be able to shed some insight on a few questions I had.

Background:

I have the 160 watt, 16k razor on my 92 gallon mixed reef corner. Hanging isn't an option for me atm, so the fixture is just sitting on top of my tank using the standard legs. I'm using the 120 degree lenses because I needed more spread and I think the light is far more visually more appealing.

I bought the razor back in summer of 2013. To make a long story short, I didn't acclimate properly and ran it too high (on top of that, I was never controlling my Alk) and so I didn't have good results for a few months. Nothing really died, but everything just kind of stayed in a perpetual state of ugliness with little or no growth (Euphilliyas always grew well for me though). Then earlier this year, I bought the 120 degree reflectors and decided I would basically just do a "re-acclimation". I dropped my 9 hour photoperiod to about 40ish and 70ish% for A and B, respectively, and worked my way up. This was about March of 2014 if I remember correctly. By September 2014, I was at the following settings:

(09:00) A: 0% B: 0%

(10:00) A: 44% B: 70%

(12:00) A: 57% B: 100%

(16:00) A: 57% B: 100%

(19:00) A: 44% B: 100%

(20:30) A: 0% B: 0%

Currently, I am at these settings (Nothing has changed except the intensity of Channel A):

(09:00) A: 0% B: 0%

(10:00) A: 58% B: 70%

(12:00) A: 65% B: 100%

(16:00) A: 65% B: 100%

(19:00) A: 58% B: 100%

(20:30) A: 0% B: 0%

Over the summer, I got a couple of dosing pumps and maintain Ca at 420, Alk at 9 dkh, and mag at about 1350. No detectable PO4 according to Red Sea test kit and very low nitrates.

My tank has seemed to benefit significantly from these changes. However, I don't feel like I am getting as much growth/color as I could be.

Coralvue released this PAR graph for a 160 watt 16k maxspect razor and I've been using this as a very crude estimate of my PAR values.

120_Reflectors_PAR_Readings.jpg

These were taken on a 40 breeder, fixture was placed 12 inch of the water surface. The vertical 1,2,3 column represents points along the width of the 40b and the horizontal 1-5 represents points along the the length. Both channels were at 100%. Probably one of the worst PAR graphs I have seen a company put out for one of their products lol.

Questions:

1.) Which channel provides the most PAR? Recently, someone clearly stated that Channel B provides the most PAR, and Channel A is mostly just to dial in my desired level of "whiteness". When I spoke to a BRS customer rep about it, he told me that Channel A is in fact where the most PAR comes from. I dont know what to think.

2.) Some of you with much shallower and smaller tanks seem to be running the razor at much higher intensities than I am. Can anyone give me an estimate of the intensity they would run on a tank like mine? I keep a couple sps mid to high level of the tank, softies near the bottom, lps at various level. Tank dimensions are approx. 38x30x24. Based on the graph above, I would guess that I'm not getting alot of PAR at the bottom of my tank since its much deeper than a 40b. Thoughts?

I wish I could help but you really need a PAR meter. I abandon the razors in favor of T5 with supplemental LED striplights. I thought the 120 degree lenses were silly and they did reduce par but didn't help me much with the spread.

I wish I could help but you really need a PAR meter. I abandon the razors in favor of T5 with supplemental LED striplights. I thought the 120 degree lenses were silly and they did reduce par but didn't help me much with the spread.

Np, thanks for the input. I am trying to see where I could rent a PAR meter. I definitely can't afford to shell out 300 bucks to buy one atm lol. But I've also heard that there is some kind of adjustment you have to take into account when using a PAR meter for LEDs because it doesn't capture the blue spectrum properly.

How are you liking the t5? I've been wanting to do t5's for a long time but due to the dimensions of my tank and the fact that I can't hang anything, it makes it quite difficult. Otherwise, I'd just put an ATI with reefbrite led strips and call it a day haha. I don't doubt that the razor(or any other LEDs for that matter) can grow and color corals nicely because there's just too many good looking LED tanks out there. But it does seem like a much more difficult process to get it tuned in correctly.

Razors can grow SPS and they can get really nice color, but only on the side facing the light, which is generally the top.

I really like T5 + LED. I wish I could fit the Razors and T5 over the top of the tank but both are big fixtures. :) I run a razor over my small tank and it looks great. I started at 50% blue, 20% white which was really dim to the eye and yet everything survived.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I currently have an IM Nuvo 8 with stock 8watt lights, MJ900 return and JBJ ATO. I will be upgrading to the Maxspect Nano 60watt in a few weeks and had a few questions. This thread has been very helpful, but would appreciate some clarification if possible.

1. The % it shows...its it % is watts being pitput or some other parameter? I ask bc my current lights are 8w so if I run the razor at 15% thats about 9w so I shouldnt burn my corals at that setting to start with. Am I thinking about this correctly?

2. I want a long light period with just a few hours of complete dark at night. I have been thinking about how I want my ramp cycle and this is what I came up with. I am using even A and B for nkw until I have tbe lights and j find the ratio that I want.

0600 0,1

1100 10,10

1400 20,20

1700 10,10

2100 2,5

0200 0,0

If I am thinking this through properly, this would give me a graeual sunrise and a slow sunset giving me complete dark between 2am and 6am. If I am not correct, please correct me.

All insight is greatly appreciated!

jedimasterben

1. The % it shows...its it % is watts being pitput or some other parameter? I ask bc my current lights are 8w so if I run the razor at 15% thats about 9w so I shouldnt burn my corals at that setting to start with. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Wattage of LED fixtures cannot be compared, so the R420R run at 9w doesn't equal your fixture at 8w, etc.

i can't i have my hob refugium and the skimmer in the back but i agree i want it in the back to.

You should be able to slide the fixture farther out, if that makes sense. I had my razor nano at least 10" from the rim. If that doesn't work for you, you could always get a second mount and put it on the other side

I have the Razor Nano on my 20 gallon high. I think its perfect for the tank. All my LPS absolutely love it, and I keep SPS closer to the center. I think it's a trade off. The small sized light, and a very clean look, just to have to center the corals? I'm okay with that. I'll eventually build a center "coral mountain" of sps in the center, and have it drip off for the LPs. Even my LPs at the bottom. Are doing fantastic. Pretty awesome growth rate, too.

• 1 month later...
jedimasterben

I've heard that the entire Razor lineup is being revamped with different wattage specs and spectrum. Has anybody been able to find any info about these?

Where did you hear that?

My LFS said that they could no longer get the Nano and that the Razor line was being redesigned. They suspected that the Celestial Spot would replace the Nano. It sounded strange so I emailed Maxspect and the Canadian distributor replied that a Nano 70w 15k would be available in February with a new chipset.

Charterhouse Aquatics has the larger ones on presale already.

OK I finally pulled the trigger on the 20" razor for my Nuvo 16. I have two stock lights currently my Razor should be here by Thursday. Question: What should I do to add it to my tank, I have no xp with nice lights so should I acclimate my fish and corals (softies and LPS) or can I just add the light and enter one of the program modes :) Thank

Did you ever get an answer on this? I have had the stock lights running on my Nuvo16 and just got the Maxspect Razor myself and currently have them maxing out at 45%. What did you end up doing?