ReefCleaners.org

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

My current settings. Everything seems to be doing fine after one week.

9am A 0 B 0

12:30pm A 5 B 45

4pm A 45 B 65

6pm A 70 B 85

9pm A 25 B 75

11:30pm A 0 B 0

I also think the moon lights are too bright. Thats why you see the 0's at the start and the end.

Edited by Daveg99
I have a 120 16K on order. Question, are the suspension mounts on the razor adjustable? What I mean is can I slide them down to allow mounting a narrower lamp tree? I think I just made up the word narrower :D

yes you can

Does anyone with this fixture feel there is too much violet in the coloration?

yeah I do but you can dial to any coloration and still get plenty of light

• 2 weeks later...

What combination of channel A and B gives the best blue spectrum and at the same time the strongest light? Of course A 0% and B 100% would give the strongest blue but what combination do you have to get the best blue? I also find violet too strong.

jedimasterben
What combination of channel A and B gives the best blue spectrum and at the same time the strongest light? Of course A 0% and B 100% would give the strongest blue but what combination do you have to get the best blue? I also find violet too strong.

I find that hard to believe. I have several times the amount of output of violet over my tank and as soon as any other string comes on at 11% it drowns out the violets at 100%. Our eyes don't really see violet. I think you're mistaking the purplish color made from the warm whites mixing with the royal blues, but the cool blues should remove the purple completely.

Well, I'm talking about violet color, not UV. Whether it is violet or purple it is not blue and this is what I need to achieve. I read several reports from Razor users that found it a bit too violet (or purple).

Well, I'm talking about violet color, not UV. Whether it is violet or purple it is not blue and this is what I need to achieve. I read several reports from Razor users that found it a bit too violet (or purple).

How can people complain if the unit's color is fully adjustable? I have no problem setting it to look exactly how I want it to look.

Edited by Daveg99
jedimasterben
How can people complain if the unit's color is fully adjustable? I have no problem setting it to look exactly how I want it to look.

It really isn't fully adjustable. They keep too many colors mixed together, especially on the 16K model.

It really isn't fully adjustable. They keep too many colors mixed together, especially on the 16K model.

Ben, which do you think would be best for an ada60p - 10k or 16k?. With a 20 fixture I am thinking both would have to be dialed down and so edging towards the 10k. Thanks.

The Radion Pro or G2? G2, no, fails just like the original, Pro is better, but Ecotech is still just throwing LEDs in all willy-nilly to try and confuse people.

AI vega, just no.

Can you elaborate any more on the Vega? I'd be interested in your opinion as you seem to be quite the LED guru. I went back and forth between Razor and Vega before pulling the trigger on the Vega. Not trying to hijack this thread so maybe you could respond on my thread.

jedimasterben
The only? :(

Ok, not the only! But the R420R is usually used over larger tanks than the NB unit. ;)

Can you elaborate any more on the Vega? I'd be interested in your opinion as you seem to be quite the LED guru. I went back and forth between Razor and Vega before pulling the trigger on the Vega. Not trying to hijack this thread so maybe you could respond on my thread.

See my thoughts on the Radion. They don't really seem to understand much about the LEDs they're putting into their systems, and what corals need to grow and be colorful. In the Vega Blue, they're sticking with cool white and blue LEDs only, which will give anemic color, and the fact that they added specifically Oslon deep blue chips (which are Oslon's royal blue and cover pretty much the same spectra as the XP-E royals, I very highly doubt they're going to pay extra to get a specific bin) (and they fact that they're still using XP-E for royals is dumb). In the Vega color, they add green XP-E and Oslon 'deep red', which is them blindly following Ecotech's lead. You'd need some pretty expensive customizations to the unit to bring it to what I would have liked to see them use.

Unfortunately, no one is going to break that mold any time soon. Ecotech has proven that people will buy what they have now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that hard to believe. I have several times the amount of output of violet over my tank and as soon as any other string comes on at 11% it drowns out the violets at 100%. Our eyes don't really see violet. I think you're mistaking the purplish color made from the warm whites mixing with the royal blues, but the cool blues should remove the purple completely.

You have to remember that the violets used here are "dual core". Essentially, it would be like using double the amount of violets (12) over 24-36" of length. It could be a bit much.

I have 2 Razors coming next week as temp lighting. We'll see then

jedimasterben

You have to remember that the violets used here are "dual core". Essentially, it would be like using double the amount of violets (12) over 24-36" of length. It could be a bit much.

I have 2 Razors coming next week as temp lighting. We'll see then

It doesn't matter how much violet there is. I've got twelve high-output violets over my tank (over 750mW each, totaling over 9,000mW of radiance) which output over 30% more light than the ones used in the R420R, and I'm looking to triple that number, and I can guarantee it won't look any more purple with any other channel of light being on.

. In the Vega Blue, they're sticking with cool white and blue LEDs only, which will give anemic color, and the fact that they added specifically Oslon deep blue chips (which are Oslon's royal blue and cover pretty much the same spectra as the XP-E royals, I very highly doubt they're going to pay extra to get a specific bin) (and they fact that they're still using XP-E for royals is dumb). In the Vega color, they add green XP-E and Oslon 'deep red', which is them blindly following Ecotech's lead. You'd need some pretty expensive customizations to the unit to bring it to what I would have liked to see them use.

Unfortunately, no one is going to break that mold any time soon. Ecotech has proven that people will buy what they have now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.

even when AI comes with the custom puck service you wouldn't recommend them?

jedimasterben

Nope.

EDIT: Because they don't, and will never, come with custom pucks. You will have to purchase them separately and it will cost you a stupid amount of money on top of the $500 unit you already purchased.

jedimaster1138

After totaling up what it's going to cost me to DIY lighting on my 120g 60"x18"x26", and then reading this thread, among others, I'm seriously considering going dual Maxspect Razors instead of DIY. It would come out cheaper (by 25% i think), reduce wife-aggro, and provide similar light.

The cons are that it's not quite as adjustable, the UI looks...not that nice (but i should be looking at the fish not the light ui), and the spectrum isn't perfect (nor can i add to it later).

The biggest pro though is that Ben sorta likes it :)

• Like 1

Just ordered the 120w for my Nuvo 16, was going back and forth with this unit or the Tesla Svelte at ocreef.com. in the end, this unit at 20 inches worked out better for the tank at 23.65 inches.

Interested in TPs and possibly replacing a couple of lamps with reds, anyone do this?

jedimaster1138

Reducing wife aggro is never a bad thing. Manage your spot on the aggro list if you don't want to get targeted.

Srsly. It's important to keep aquarium dodge rating high. Parry doesn't hurt either.