ReefCleaners.org

.: Shaner014's 11.4 | New Photo's! :.

shaner014

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haz same tank! Sassafrass!

Looking good dude! I'll definitely be following this. Can't wait to see what kind of colors you get from the AI Nano. :)

Awesome Tank. What are your plans for it?

Thanks Brian. Hopefully we can trade some stuff one day.

Other than being picky with my coral (compared to my last tank anyways) I have no plan! I had the tank set up freshwater planted last winter, and 2 months of trimming stems made me swear that off forever.

I got a deal on the light, and liked the simplicity of the AC70 last time I was salty. So here I am.

love this

I love that you love this.

We haz same tank! Sassafrass!

Looking good dude! I'll definitely be following this. Can't wait to see what kind of colors you get from the AI Nano. :)

Thanks! Already been following you! Your's is 11.4 not 11.7 right??

Photo update...

8245384242_f7b0d34281_k.jpg

8244317649_f4947da2f6_k.jpg

8244317781_184ca401fe_k.jpg

8244317955_144e07d3ec_k.jpg

8245386310_6c0995480a_k.jpg

8244318847_023961816e_k.jpg

8244318941_9bb72f6e8d_k.jpg

Light tree will be painted black to hide the cord somewhat. Wish the power cord didn't have the ferrite (or whatever) cylinder near the end, cause I would run it through the conduit. Oh well.

Photo update...

8245384242_f7b0d34281_k.jpg

8244317649_f4947da2f6_k.jpg

8244317781_184ca401fe_k.jpg

8244317955_144e07d3ec_k.jpg

8245386310_6c0995480a_k.jpg

8244318847_023961816e_k.jpg

8244318941_9bb72f6e8d_k.jpg

Light tree will be painted black to hide the cord somewhat. Wish the power cord didn't have the ferrite (or whatever) cylinder near the end, cause I would run it through the conduit. Oh well.

Wheres the upgarded hanging kit from

Wheres the upgarded hanging kit from

I made it out of stainless steel bicycle brake cable and 3 dollars in aluminum cable ferrules from Home Depot. Also added an extra 10-32 nut to lock the cable in place. This was my first attempt and just got lucky really. Because the cables are at a 90 to the bolt I can micro-adjust the level by turning the bolt ever so slightly. Again, complete luck, I just threw something together to try and hang it, and it turned out exactly how I needed it.

lookin good. You gotta get that thing wet!

I know right! I wish I could sooner. I still need rock, salt, and an ATO. I'm trying to decide about an RO/DI unit as well.

The inTank Basket for the AC70, and the controller for the light will be here Thursday.

I rushed my last tank a bit and ended up regretting some things that made me get bored of it. Trying to get this one as simple and efficient as possible before I start.

Thanks for following!

I made it out of stainless steel bicycle brake cable and 3 dollars in aluminum cable ferrules from Home Depot. Also added an extra 10-32 nut to lock the cable in place. This was my first attempt and just got lucky really. Because the cables are at a 90 to the bolt I can micro-adjust the level by turning the bolt ever so slightly. Again, complete luck, I just threw something together to try and hang it, and it turned out exactly how I needed it.

Where did you get the metal rod from

Where did you get the metal rod from

It's 1/2" inside diameter conduit, any hardware store has it. I just bent it at 90 degrees. I had all the stuff except the cable crimps, or ferrules, laying around at work so I just worked with what I had on hand.

looks great! Can't wait to see this come together. I hope to have my 11.4 mr. aqua wet in the next 2 weeks.

How do you like the Ai Sol Nano? Have you thought about the controller?

Deleted User 4

For some weird reason, I actually liked the original mounting rather than the hanging kit....Boy am I weird!! Haha, but yes this is kind of like the build I'm starting soon.

Subscribed.

looks great! Can't wait to see this come together. I hope to have my 11.4 mr. aqua wet in the next 2 weeks.

How do you like the Ai Sol Nano? Have you thought about the controller?

Thanks! I love your build so far, been following.

Controller is on the way. Got a deal from a forum member for the old style, never used. I don't really have any opinion on it yet, other than it's bright and sleek.

For some weird reason, I actually liked the original mounting rather than the hanging kit....Boy am I weird!! Haha, but yes this is kind of like the build I'm starting soon.

Subscribed.

I wanted to like the included mount, but it pushes the light too far forward over my tank. I also wanted to try and spread the light a bit more given my tank dimension. Hopefully I can clean the DIY light mount up a bit more to try and change your mind! ;)

I went through your whole thread recently as I have rekindled my love of saltwater and am sad to see it go! But your nem tank sounds awesome too! Love that ADA.

Deleted User 4
Thanks! I love your build so far, been following.

Controller is on the way. Got a deal from a forum member for the old style, never used. I don't really have any opinion on it yet, other than it's bright and sleek.

I wanted to like the included mount, but it pushes the light too far forward over my tank. I also wanted to try and spread the light a bit more given my tank dimension. Hopefully I can clean the DIY light mount up a bit more to try and change your mind! ;)

I went through your whole thread recently as I have rekindled my love of saltwater and am sad to see it go! But your nem tank sounds awesome too! Love that ADA.

Haha, wow I'm surprised you skimmed over my thread in just a few minutes... Thanks.

My new ada is about the same dimensions as yours but slightly smaller by 2-3g.

Yeah, I kinda figured that when I saw the picture earlier just didn't mention about the light spread. Anyways, I too am getting the same light for the ada and most likely I will use the original mountings and mount it over on the side instead of the back glass panel because my tank is 18l x 9w x 12t.

Trying something... Ignore this, unless of course it worked :)

8247525554_af93c48309_b.jpg

Finished light mount by chubbyreefer, on Flickr

Edit: It does work :) I didn't know if I could upload a photo from my phone right to Flickr then embed it on here. It's a different route than what I usually do, but it does work, and allows me to add pics on the go fairly easily.

Hmmm, definitely looks much better with the black paint! :)

Thanks! Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to paint my stand black too...

Another note, I can't decide between live or dry rock. My last tank I had live rock bought locally, all went well for awhile, then I had a crazy amount of vermetid snails (the little tubes that shoot webs out). I don't know if these came on the rock or a frag. The rock seemed to be void of them initially but the suckers annoyed me last time so it is my hang up. That and $7.50/lb vs $2.50/lb.

I do like the idea of all the extra flora and fauna right off the bat of LR, and a shortened cycle, so I think ultimately that's what I'll do. Just gotta be picky with pieces I find I suppose.

Should have this thing salty sooner than later. Possibly Thursday if all goes well.

Deleted User 4

Personally, I prefer dry rocks!!

Painting the stand black would be a perfect match in my opinion. You should take it nice and slow for wetting purposes. The slower the more interesting the thread gets.

Personally, I prefer dry rocks!!

Painting the stand black would be a perfect match in my opinion. You should take it nice and slow for wetting purposes. The slower the more interesting the thread gets.

I don't know if I can hold off purely for suspense haha. Painting the stand would set it back a few days though. Hmmm

Deleted User 4

A few days isn't too bad lol.

Actually I think you should let it stay white because the ai fixture is white along with your walls....

I agree IIX. Stand is gonna stay white.

Light controller came today. Excited to play with it tonight!

Finally decided to just buy cured live rock locally. I am gonna have a minimal scape and since I wont be using too much it's worth the established bacteria and what-not to get the cured stuff. Figure about 8-10 pounds should be ok to start, and the guy has a lot to pick from so I should be able to find some smaller, choice pieces.

This leaves a few things to ponder:

Salt - I'm thinking Red Sea Coral Pro. Any reason I shouldn't?

ATO - Is there a decent option for adding a float to a display tank that doesn't let the water drop a half inch or more before it kicks on? I know the ELOS would work, but I can't do $200 on that yet. So if anyone knows how the JBJ fairs on a display tank this size, please chime in. I couldn't find a lot of answers searching around.

Surface Skimming - I used a Tom's surface skimmer in my last tank and it worked perfect but wasn't that pretty. I have seen the Badfish Skimmer mod for the AC70, and while I like this, am worried that fluctuating water levels from morning to evening may interrupt its flow. (See ATO above :) )

Think that's all for now, will edit something I forgot I'm sure...

nice build I almost got that tank but instead chose the 17.4g I also use ai nano on that tank but with a hang kit to get 24inch spread

I recommend coral pro salt and avast ato

Archived