Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY Media Basket - 12g Nano Cube

kOZality

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share a DIY project that I recently accomplished. I believe there are similar projects on the forum, just wanted to share my experience. I have a 12g JBJ Nano Cube that I just finished cycling and I wanted to work on the back filtration area. I have a picture of what my set up will be on my tank thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&id=116139 and I liked the look and handiness of a media basket. I want to also point you in the direction of inTank and their product, which is professionally made and here's a link to their media basket: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Nano-Cube-12-...sket-NC12MR.htm

For the project I was able to go to a local plastic supplier, Colorado Plastic Products in Louisville, CO. Great place and they have a monthly sale on scrap pieces (couldn't pass this up), I got a clear 3/16" piece of acrylic and I also purchased a tube of Weld-on #16 (works great, and seeing as I don't need real structural support I went with this, its thicker than Weld-on #4). Also, I got a chunk of eggcrate big enough for this project for free from my LFS.

Materials/Tools I used:

1119121553Small.jpg

+Acrylic, Eggcrate, and Sandpaper (not pictured)

I used an acrylic hobby knife that I got from Home Depot. Check out this video:

It's simple enough to score the acrylic a few times using a straightedge and then snap the piece apart. It makes a nice straight edge (it has a tiny bevel to it). I sanded the edges that were going to be glued (only 2 edges)

Here's a sketch of the measurements:SketchofacryliccutsSmall.png

***Make sure to measure the rear chamber (first one-if that's where you want it) to make sure the dimensions are the same. There may be variations between different Nano Cubes. These measurements ended up with a media basket that fits perfectly into the opening. Important to understand that the height of the basket should be where it doesn't block the water flow at the bottom of Chamber 1. Also, this design will not work for chamber 2 and would need to be modified.

Once you've cut the pieces this is what I did-

1118121403Small.jpg

I used duct tape to hold the pieces in place and help line up the joints when I glue them together. Makes that step really easy, crude but effective. I left the paper on to prevent any duct tape residue. I sanded one of the edges of Panel B, make sure that's the edge you have pointed in to be glued. NOTE - You may want to attach the eggcrate shelves before adding the second side panel, may or may not be easier to do so.

Once everything is lined up I went ahead and glued the joints together using the Weld-on #16. Stuff is serious and make sure you're in a ventilated room. Tube says it takes 24 hrs to cure, I let it sit for an hour or so while I prepared the eggcrate 'shelves' and then continued to work on it.

Using clamps to hold everything in place while it was setting:

1118121436aSmall.jpg

I don't have any power tools, not even a Dremel, so I went old-fashioned and used a wire cutter + exacto/box cutter to cut and clean up the edges on the eggcrate. Wasn't too hard, just a bit tedious and it kept me busy :happy:

Here's what I ended up with:

1118122223Small.jpg

The two tabs on the side I used for an overhang. In hindsight I should have left them as "U's" so they would hold on better. Instead I had to make my own little 'clip' using two more tabs and some superglue.

1128120123aSmall.jpg

I then measured out where I would place the 3 shelves, one being at the absolute bottom and then two more. I ended up measuring out 3.25" inches between shelf 1 (bottom) and shelf 2. And then another 3.25" from shelf 2 to shelf 3. I used Loctite Superglue Gel for this step.

WARNING: This can get messy real fast. As usual with superglue a little can go a long way. Also when it bonds the eggcrate to the acrylic it can make the acrylic a bit foggy (but I wasn't after aesthetics).

Here's what it looks like:

1119120127Small.jpg

Using clamps to help hold in the eggcrate (unfortunately the clamps I have are only 3" and I couldn't clamp sideways).

And once those shelves set, you can add some hanging tabs on the right side and your done!

1119121544Small.jpg

Finished Product (the basket is wet because I gave it a good rinse after it had cured for a full 24 hours):

1119121546Small.jpg

1119121547Small.jpg

And there you have it - Homemade Media Basket for a 12g JBJ Nano Cube. Hope this helps some people out. It neatly holds everything in place, especially the inTank Poly-Filter. Enjoy :happydance:

I came in expecting one of those all egg crate ones, but this surprised me! Turned out fantastic. It does remind me of inTanks!

Awesome, turned out nice!

Thanks! You'll be seeing my order for some poly-filter soon, once my current poly-filter is closer to running out.

I like the craftsmanship. I also think it might of turned out better had you of used acrylic pieces (drilled) vs egg crate.

Thanks. I definitely think it would look nicer, but alas, I don't own a drill and have no convenient way of borrowing one. My current budget doesn't allow for me to get one at the moment. :happy:

I came in expecting one of those all egg crate ones, but this surprised me! Turned out fantastic. It does remind me of inTanks!

Haha thanks, it gave me a chance to learn a bit on how to work with acrylic (on a small scale) and I was pretty happy how it turned out.

looks just like mine :D

the egg crate in mine is removable though

Damn bro, your's looks really nice! And I truly like the idea of have removable shelves. If I ever have need to make another or improve mine, that is definitely going to be one of things I will do differently. Thanks for the idea.

Damn bro, your's looks really nice! And I truly like the idea of have removable shelves. If I ever have need to make another or improve mine, that is definitely going to be one of things I will do differently. Thanks for the idea.

np man. steal away on the idea :D

Sweet. Just an FYI you could have used the Weldon for the eggcrate. It will weld it and cure clear unlike the super glue that crazes the acrylic.

Sweet. Just an FYI you could have used the Weldon for the eggcrate. It will weld it and cure clear unlike the super glue that crazes the acrylic.

I had wondered about that, but I liked the quick set time of super glue. If aesthetics become a bigger factor I will definitely go with the Weld-on next time. Is there anything in particular that Weld-on is not good to be used for (ie certain plastics)? Thanks

If your looking for quicker set up time use a Weldon 3 or 4. It will set in minutes even seconds. There are different kind of Weldon for different plastics. This one used is really best on acrylic but I have used it on PVC and other similar plastics around the house.

• 3 months later...

Update: This little DIY Media Basket is still holding on strong. Also want to comment on how awesome the inTank Poly-Filter is. Here is a before and after shot:

TankFilterfloss-resized_zps02fefcad.jpg

It's great stuff!

Oh and the poly-filter is resting on a leftover piece of acrylic I had, which became my snail guard lol. I was tired of finding all of those dwarf ceriths just hanging out around my return pump.

• 1 year later...

Archived