Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

Pardon the bad camera pics and the dirty glass-I just did a water change and didn't finish cleaning the tank :P As you can see the koralia is now massive compared to the wp10-need to replace it soon.

gorr.jpg

I like this shot, the corals and growing like mad(the whole 4 of them lol). Also you can see that in the tank is like sunlight but on the back wall it's very blue. Guess thats what happens when you don't use optics or a long enough shield. Soon I'll have a nice carpet of green too!

r0fq.jpg

My 2 year old lone invert doing his thing!_ I plan on getting more

ylvs.jpg

Can you see whats growing on the roots now?

ej5b.jpg

gonna need to trim a couple spots on the mangroves as the growth is starting to get long.

zyyl.jpg

first aerial root touchdown! Finally :wub:

7hms.jpg

wp10 is soooo tiny and powerful-I like this way better then a mp10 and its dead silent-I lost 3 fish so who knows why so I'm down some cardinals

z8uh.jpg

Rememebr way back when-when I had the glass siliconed inside the tank that looked like another tank? Here's the reason why-it's forces the roots to go upwards where I can see them and move them or cut them so they don't go again the outside panes of glass.

z6f2.jpg

I'm going up into the mountains this weekend and will be there for a week to spend time with the family and to collect some pine trees for my bonsai collection. After though I'll going to start filling this thing with all kind of corals and fish!

• Like 15

How deep is the sandbed and would a sand sifting star work for this? I know very little about those stars.

No idea either lol and my sand bed is 4" deep

id love to have some groves in my 60f

Do it!

When is it best to dig up trees? I have a rather chewed up tree sapling I might send you. Keep trying to cut it down and get it to stop growing. Decided today that I think I may remove it and bonsai it. Though may end up moving before I can really get it up. For some reason I am thinking you are supposed to dig up in the winter. But I really do not remember.

Do you guys have Black Oaks out that way? I really don't remember what all I have seen tree wise while I was in Virginia in the past.

Love how the tank is looking. I was wondering what you were doing to keep the roots from getting to the edge of the main tank.

Sand sifters need a pretty large amount of sand to prevent starving to death.

• Like 1
When is it best to dig up trees? I have a rather chewed up tree sapling I might send you. Keep trying to cut it down and get it to stop growing. Decided today that I think I may remove it and bonsai it. Though may end up moving before I can really get it up. For some reason I am thinking you are supposed to dig up in the winter. But I really do not remember.

Do you guys have Black Oaks out that way? I really don't remember what all I have seen tree wise while I was in Virginia in the past.

Love how the tank is looking. I was wondering what you were doing to keep the roots from getting to the edge of the main tank.

Sand sifters need a pretty large amount of sand to prevent starving to death.

Best time for collecting tree is early spring or right when buds are starting to swell. There a exception to this rule but in general it's a good place to start. Not sure if we have black oak but we do have oak trees here. I'm most likly won't get a sand sifter and it will uproot the grass

INTRESTING CORALS

I built my 30 gallon luec Vic. around orchids. I feel like they arentbhard to take care of as long as you give them special attention. If that makes any sense.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

They just don't live very long, their lifespan is only a couple of years. Julian Sprung mentioned that in an interview, they live around two years or so for him.

• Like 1

Love the update Giga, looking real sharp. Looks like your getting great growth on the mangroves under that light.

Yeah, while slower then outside- I haven't killed them yet

I built my 30 gallon luec Vic. around orchids. I feel like they arentbhard to take care of as long as you give them special attention. If that makes any sense.

meant for the drop off thread? :lol:

I've heard those cardinals can be very difficult to keep alive long term. Not sure if it's adequate diet or something else though.

They just don't live very long, their lifespan is only a couple of years. Julian Sprung mentioned that in an interview, they live around two years or so for him.

well thats good to know

surgicalsense

I remember when this was in the making.

Bravo! That is really cool. I love the room and the look you created in there.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that i'm back from my adventures in the mountains and bonsai collecting season is over it's time to focus on the tank. I gonna start adding inverts for now until I find more cardinals. So far I've added 2 turbos(size of a tangerine!) emerald crab and a new peppermint shrimp. Also got my button wood in so once that settles and I build the light for it-i'll plant it on the rock!

3aw9.jpg

And my little girls first Easter in the mountains!(don't pay attention to the crazy looking dude on the left :lol:, or my brother and sister in the back :P )

1mtw.jpg

• Like 8
jedimasterben

The turbos will move on to eat your caulerpa once they've taken care of the less-complex macros around the tank. If they were in my tank, they would eat the nice stuff first lol

Your little girl is adorable :wub:

• Like 1

The turbos will move on to eat your caulerpa once they've taken care of the less-complex macros around the tank. If they were in my tank, they would eat the nice stuff first lol

Your little girl is adorable :wub:

it grows so fast I doubt they will do anything other then help control it

Love the aquarium and +1 on the adorable girl.

thanks and she's such a ham and already walking-love of my life!

• Like 1

Keep an eye out on the emerald. Mine eats all algae. I kind of hate him for it. He has eaten up several macros I was trying to grow out.

Yeah, i've seen him munch on all the stuff in there but everything grows so fast that I don't mind

Shallow tanks are the coolest.

I love what you've done :) A bit late to the party but following along

8" is what I got with the sand bed and I love it!Though I have been wanting to lower the water lvl from the rim but will have to dremel the overflow teeth and haven't had enough gusto to do that yet. and the more the merrier!- as they say

Most likely on the Thursday or Friday I'll be adding some more cardinals and corals so stay tuned! Oh and my drop off is gonna start getting planted

Cameron6796

Yay cardinals and viv plants

I love this tank, the viv is impressive and I really want one but getting a tank is priority

New page after my post that means pictures

• Like 2