Innovative Marine Aquariums

Betta hex reef

Chew_Magna

Picked up a tiny hex tank for bettas over the friday sales. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to try a tiiiiny reef with it.

The game plan is to build a AIO overflow/fuge with acrylic and a small zoo med pump I have laying around.I'll melt holes for the overflow with my soldering iron if I can find it. I wouldn't trust this thing to a drill at all. Too brittle.

I've already picked up some LR, .25lb of Totoka that's in the pic. It's actually two pieces that fit together perfectly. They'll be sealed together and to the bottom of the tank with aquarium silicone. For livestock I'm looking at zoas and gsp. Not much else will really fit. But I'm thinking seeeeexy shrimp :)

This is gonna be awesome.

dxBWz.jpg

It was suggested that I use two with one being the sump area. Sadly the sides are not straight vertical, so they don't fit side by side.

But, they do fit on top of each other, so I though it might be interesting to try a drilled approach with one acting as an underneath sump.

I'm going go use acrylic and build a box onto the "back" of the tank that will hold the pump and some filter media. The box will be built off of one flat surface of the tank. The pump is just small enough to fit.

Instead of using any sand or anything I think I'll just paint the bottom, back and box black. As for lighting, I'm just going to put it beside my Spec so that it gets overflow light.

Should be a fun little project. Why not try a dyi small airlift for the tank? That should create plenty of circulation and just do a "larger" wc weekly? Shouldnt be too much of a hassle. Just my 2¢. Good luck with it.

It was suggested that I use two with one being the sump area. Sadly the sides are not straight vertical, so they don't fit side by side.

But, they do fit on top of each other, so I though it might be interesting to try a drilled approach with one acting as an underneath sump.

I'm going go use acrylic and build a box onto the "back" of the tank that will hold the pump and some filter media. The box will be built off of one flat surface of the tank. The pump is just small enough to fit.

Instead of using any sand or anything I think I'll just paint the bottom, back and box black. As for lighting, I'm just going to put it beside my Spec so that it gets overflow light.

this idea >

hah good luck with this!

Same thing that is used with under gravel filters, with out power heads. Most sponge filters use them too.

I have built a few of these lifts. I had one running on a betta tank for almost 2 years. Used it to pump water into a trickel plate that I had a house plant growing in. That filter worked extreamly well....

Basic premise is that you inject air bubbles into a line and they lift the water with them. You don't get much of a head on the water column with most air pumps but it does turn the water over with a lower head.

Ok, I've seen similar before on a cheapo walmart tank.

I made some progress on the tank. I've built the box that will hold the pump and filter media. I also cut an area from the tank to allow the overflow. Right now the parts are drying. I'll let it cure for a couple days. I still need to drill the hole for the pump return, paint, and attach the box.

I have a led light on the tank right now that came with that walmart tank listed above. I've no idea if it'll support coral or not, but I doubt it.

roW2C.jpg

vWJNs.jpg

NAPyp.jpg

D8mSE.jpg

VRdn3.jpg

Looking good, love the rock choice.

Thanks!

It isn't the original scape I was going for, it just kinda "fell" into this shape a d I liked it, so it stayed.

I have a day off tomorrow so I'm going to try and finish putting this together.

Any recommends for a really cheap light for this thing? Something that will support zoas and gsp. I'm thinking 1w leds will work if I put them right on the tank.

I would look into the ecopico lighting and add a strip or two to it. Should be plenty for this little tank.

Would support zoanthids shrooms etc. Either that or look for a refugium light system that is more full spectrum.

Fire it up and post some pics soon!

I have that same exact betta hex! I considered doing the same thing, only Using a red sea hob filter that I have, but it's too big for a side. What power head is that? I've been looking for tiny ones to use forever. Finally, it looks great, and if you want an extremely cheap DIY led light check out this build:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2053315

When I get around to building my tank that's what I'm going to use, you can check out his tank thread to see how those LEDs are working for him!

I have that same exact betta hex! I considered doing the same thing, only Using a red sea hob filter that I have, but it's too big for a side. What power head is that? I've been looking for tiny ones to use forever. Finally, it looks great, and if you want an extremely cheap DIY led light check out this build:

When I get around to building my tank that's what I'm going to use, you can check out his tank thread to see how those LEDs are working for him!

How much flow are you looking for? the Hydor Pico Evo line are pretty small and have adjustable flow.

This is actually the stock pump from my Spec. I also have a zoo med that's almost identical in size that pushed 35-55gph. I had originally planned on using it but apparently I packed it up in storage. This one was handy, so it's going in instead.

I got pokeing around on this last night and then on superbrightleds. I think the 3mm or 5mm highflux chip mount leds would actually work better then the ones he used in the build thread. They are cheaper and have higher mcd and lower power consumption too. Less legs to deal with wireing too. I think I am going to give the 5mm highflux a go here when I start on the lighting for a build I have in the planning stage.

Which ones are those? Just the through hole ones? I can't find them....

Also what colors are you going to use? Any special uv/purple/reds, or just blue and white?

Ckent42

Here are the 5mm ones they have 3mm too but I don't about trying to deal with something that small.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/through...h_Flux,18,1221:

They have red, blue, yellow, green, whites, and RGBs.

I was thinking I might do a something of like 30% on the blue, 30% on the white , 20% red, 10% green, 10% UV/yellow (I have uv plane round 5mms sitting on my desk right now, really undecided on what if any exotic colors. ) Probably will do the percentages off of the MCD rateings because some of them are brighter then others.

I think these could work really well for a pico reef the size of this one. I see no reason why they wouldn't they are brighter then those other SMDs. Honestly I also wonder about the highpower normal round leds. However I have a plant grow light made out if and the ones I have are not bright enough for coral sadly. Right now its the temporary light on a nano planted I have started.

I don't think I have said it but I like this tank. Where did you get it at Chew? Do you mind telling how much it cost?

Definitely following this thread. Your tank is so cute! Posting before I read, but google search Marina Breeder Box Hang On Back. Seems like you already made a sump, but if anyone in the future is looking to do something similar, the Marina Hang on Back Breeder Box is AMAZING. Completely air driven and decent flow.

I don't think I have said it but I like this tank. Where did you get it at Chew? Do you mind telling how much it cost?

I got it at work. It was one of our black friday items, $3. Comes with gravel and a little plant but those have no use for me in this project.

No pics, but I did get some work done today. The hole for the return is drilled, sump is attached and curing as we speak. I did paint, but spray painting by flashlight leaves a lot to be desired. I'll have to go over it again, this time by brush. The sump needs to be painted anyway, I had planned on painting it after attaching it in the first place.

I really want to go led for this. I got my ledtric full spectrum par38 for my spec today and it blows me away.

MySdp.jpg

Leak/flow testing. Seems that the pump at its lowest setting is perfect for flow. Also looks like I'm going to cut the overflow more, the water level is too high.

Actually, I may keep the water level where it is. When I put the lid on it almost seals the tank, kinda of like the fluval edge.

Archived