SaltCritters.com

Jims temperate pico

fullmonti

Mine is 3gal (using ID) & will hold 55 but the probes run almost all the time so I have it set to 56-57. The probes turn off for a few minutes maybe every 15 or 20 minutes now. Our house is around 73-75 in the summer & cooler in the winter. From this I would have doubts that two probes could keep 4gals where you'd like it. The thermometer I'm using is a small floating aquarium one, so wouldn't swear to it's accuracy but close enough for my use anyway.

I've been think about how we could configure a 3gal tank with two probes that didn't stick up about the top of the tank & still have a small footprint. If I come up with some thing that looks good I'll be sure to share.

Jim

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been thinking of how you might do a 3gal vertical AKA small footprint tank with out the 2nd porbe showing above the tank. Not sure why this is so important because a light hood can hide it so easy but that is the question. I think the best solution might be to have a chillsolution chiller mounted to the back chamber with some kind of direct connection plumbing for it. This also would depend on them working as well as advertised. Not sure about that part. The only other thing that I'm sure would work well is to mount 2 iceprobes one above the other out the back of the back chamber, instead of top & bottom or two on the bottom side by side (and fight the exhaust air problem). Only problem with this system is it would make the little tank pretty thick, with the thickness of the display + back chamber + thickness of iceprobes. If that would not cause a problem with space on your desk I'm sure it would work without the exhaust air issue.

Just a couple thoughts.

Jim

I was wondering about the ChillSolutions chiller too but there isn't much info out there and I don't care for the knob that sets the temperature. It seems like it could get bumped too easily.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The ice-probes are well built in terms of tough and simple parts! That makes them great. Wish they had more power but got to work with what you got. I was able to incorporate 2 of the probes on our 6.2 gallon AIO temperate system.

Both probes were out of view literally underneath the base stand and I vented the exhaust cleverly with insulation.

Only problem is the tank was expensive since it was manufactured by a third party and so mark up was high. Now that I fabricate myself, I will be able to control the price better and within grasp on many potential cold water enthusiast.

Have lots of ides for that second probe just takes time.

The iceprobes do seem to be built well. The problem with them in a small tank is where to put those probes. Think if the chillsolutions had be available when I built my tank I would have given one a try. I had thought about putting a spacer/little stand under this little tank & put the two iceprobes on the bottom of the back chamber. I knew I wanter a light canopy any way & the spacer would have made the whole thing even taller than it already was.

Be fun to see what you come up with Mike

Jim

Jim,

I believe you mentioned your anemones are growing well, you don't have an algae problem, and the photos and white balance look great. What lighting did you end up with? Would you change anything?

Thanks for your patience with all my questions!

Mike

Still have the little LED multi channel light I talked about in the beginning. Is it turned way down, nearly off. From what Stu has told me all the livestock is either non photosynthetic or partly so. So just need enough light for viewing. I do have a little hair algae growing in the top third of the tank, so as little light as I have it's still enough to grow that. The multi channel part is really a nice option. You can adjust the color balance to what you like. I have it with extra red for all the pink & red nems. It has 2 UV LEDs I have turned all the way up, makes all the greens pop. No I wouldn't change it at all & would recommend them to anyone.

Don't mind questions, I have ask plenty!

Jim

That's it exactly. If you want, check with the guys at build my LED & see if they will build you a controller & you can have the two little fixtures I have. May have to send them the two 6"ers to remind them what they had done before.

Jim

Once I get things worked out on a tank (hopefully with Mike) I plan on doing that. I do need a specific spectrum and want to keep algae growth down. I did see where they announced custom fixtures down to 7" today at MACNA. (I'm sure working with you on yours had a great deal to do with this.) Their web site isn't updated for that size yet though.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood. Are you done with the prototypes then and ready to change? I would love to have your old fixtures.

I am using a single 8" fixture also a prototype. I don't really have any need for the 2 6" fixtures. So if they would work for what you end up doing, you can have them. They would just sit in storage other wise.

Seems I may have found the sweet spot. Still running smoothly, one gallon WC & new floss each week, feed once a day, big cleaning of pumps & filter first of each month. Once I get past a few things around here, I may be looking for a couple new critters.

Oh, I'm glad to hear it. It makes a tank so much more enjoyable when it reaches that point and it takes so much longer to reach that point in a temperate system.

• 2 months later...

I haven't checked in in along time. This little tank is running just fine & nothing new to show.

I've been working on what is probably as far away from this little tank as is possible. A very large paludarium. I know some if not most have no idea what that is. More or less it's a terrarium with a water feature. I had never heard of this before a couple years ago. When I did see some of them I loved them.

I once had a 180 sps tank, then converted it to a planted discus tank. That tanks silicone started turning loose & leaking. I found a home for the discus & used that space to put in a paludarium with the same footprint. It is 60x30x48"tall. It's not nearly done yet & is much more work than even a SPS reef tank to set up. If you have a minute or need another thing to become addicted to check it out. I believe you would enjoy it!

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/133898-jims-display-paludarium-my-first.html

If the link gets zapped go to dendroboard.com then member's frogs & vivariums then Jim's display paludarium my first.

AquaticEngineer

Right on! If you need anything just let me know ;) Got a bunch of Cyber monday coldwater deals going on for the next few hours still.

The paludarium is looking GREAT Jim!

I am also ready for those lights now if you still have them. Let me know and I will send you the money for shipping.

Mike

• 1 year later...

OK it's been quite a while. Tanks is doing fine. The snakelock anemone split a little while back. Guessing that is a good sign it was happy. All the Plumose nems are grownups from babies & have started dropping babies of their own now. Finally got a photo with the goby in it & He is fat. The same single snail from the first day but the shrimp & crabs have all passed but the cleanup worms have multiplied though.

Here is a FTS sorry more of a snapshot than in the past

FTS%205-12-15_zpslc5lnmtx.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Wow! It's filling in nicely! Care if I share this with the coldwater owners group on facebook? Also if you are interested I have colonies of Jewel anemones (corynactis viridis) in right now ;)

Archived