Top Shelf Aquatics

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

jedimasterben

I love my Octopus but only after putting a neck extender on to keep it from randomly overflowing. Do they still use the bubble blaster pumps? Things are a beast.

Only on the 'SRO' models. Definitely beasts, but they need more 'in between' sizes for their skimmers, as for my old 150INT, the 1000 Bubble Blaster was too little, and the 2000 was too much. I tried the neck extension, but it would still overflow like a madman, so I valved the output between the pump and body, and it did the trick.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable that all of those rocks and corals fit in the 10 gallon tank! I guess the key is to find rocks that are not too big and the placement of the rocks.

For what it's worth I use a Marine Color doser and haven't had any issues in over 2 years of use. I just picked up the expansion doser to give me 6 channels which caused some issues, nothing some DIY couldn't fix. The Marine Color doser is effectively the same as a Bubble Magus but is cheaper, they use the same pumps, I believe Kamoer do also.

For a skimmer, I have a Coral Box DC500 also and love it. Easy to setup, easy to tweak and because it is a DC pump it is easy to set up for different water depths without the need for a stand (I made a stand anyway). Like Ben my impeller seized also after about 6-8 months continuous use. The impeller and impeller housing gets a nasty calcium build up over time, cleaning every 3-4 months would be recommended, same goes for any skimmer through. I just ordered a entire spare pump for my skimmer including the pinwheel and power adapters just to be safe.

I'm looking forward to the tank move! Keep us posted on the progress with the new stand :).

Haven't had any time to work on this this week, however got some time today. Got the top and bottom frames in decent shape, but realized my plans for the verticals were completely whack. So, I'm going to use this as an excuse to get a new porter cable plate joiner (a.k.a biscuit joiner). It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, we'll see when it gets here.

I'm also going to have to figure out how to hang something new over my current tank while the master plan comes together.

So much for keeping any secrets.... But I'm thinking a wooden frame like on the 10 gallon. Going to have to start these LEDs off at 1% and work our way up though.

So much for keeping any secrets.... But I'm thinking a wooden frame like on the 10 gallon. Going to have to start these LEDs off at 1% and work our way up though.

I'M SORRY I HAD A GREAT IDEA AND YOU MEANT IT AS A SURPRISE SILLY! I guess next time clue in the wifey? :P

So as I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm selecting equipment.

• Dosing
    • 3x BRS 1.1ml Dosers dosing either Red Sea or Brightwell
    • Apex energy bar 4
    • ebay dosing container
  • Media
    • BRS Biopelet Reactor
    • BRS Dual GFO and Carbon reactor with ROX 0.8 and either PhosGuard or GFO, have been using phosgaurd but could be convinced either way
    • Purigen in a bag?
  • Powerhead
    • Gyre XF230
    • Retire, move to sump, or sell the MP10?
  • Skimmer/Fuge
    • Considering removing the fuge, but hard to justify that and think it's the right move seeing how I've had one on this tank and 10G for basically, ever...
    • Coral Vue Technology AC20287 Octopus

Thoughts? Comments? I really want feedback to what I could tweak to make this new 65G better.

I'm in charge of the fishes!!!

Pair of neon gobies. No damsel fish.. I say bad things about them and I really don't want Tang repeating it.

Definitely court jester goby, clown goby, I really want a sand sifter too. I just like active fish and want more small ones rather than a big one.

jedimasterben

No damsel fish.. I say bad things about them and I really don't want Tang repeating it.

There isn't just one species of damsel, though, there are dozens, quite a few of which are more docile than most other fish out there. Basically anything within the Chrysiptera genus is a good choice.

I'm in charge of the fishes!!!

Pair of neon gobies. No damsel fish.. I say bad things about them and I really don't want Tang repeating it.

Definitely court jester goby, clown goby, I really want a sand sifter too. I just like active fish and want more small ones rather than a big one.

I'm with Benny on this. I have 2 damselfish and they are great - Springers Damselfish. They aren't jerks. I even had a sweet 6 line fish, maybe my water is sweet ha ha. But they are lovely, very active fish. Court Jester is a shy fish and algae hunter. One of the first fish in my RSM back in 2012 was a court jester - they eat filamentous algae so it's best to add them when you have algae.

In a 65 you can have a school of anthias - the movement and color is simply stunning.

So as I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm selecting equipment.

• Dosing
    • 3x BRS 1.1ml Dosers dosing either Red Sea or Brightwell
    • Apex energy bar 4
    • ebay dosing container
  • Media
    • BRS Biopelet Reactor
    • BRS Dual GFO and Carbon reactor with ROX 0.8 and either PhosGuard or GFO, have been using phosgaurd but could be convinced either way
    • Purigen in a bag?
  • Powerhead
    • Gyre XF230
    • Retire, move to sump, or sell the MP10?
  • Skimmer/Fuge
    • Considering removing the fuge, but hard to justify that and think it's the right move seeing how I've had one on this tank and 10G for basically, ever...
    • Coral Vue Technology AC20287 Octopus

Thoughts? Comments? I really want feedback to what I could tweak to make this new 65G better.

You can get a good price for the MP10, the sump can use a simple pump for a powerhead.

I'm with Benny on this. I have 2 damselfish and they are great - Springers Damselfish. They aren't jerks. I even had a sweet 6 line fish, maybe my water is sweet ha ha. But they are lovely, very active fish. Court Jester is a shy fish and algae hunter. One of the first fish in my RSM back in 2012 was a court jester - they eat filamentous algae so it's best to add them when you have algae.

In a 65 you can have a school of anthias - the movement and color is simply stunning.

I do plan to increase the bioload in this tank significantly over what I currently have. One of the reasons I'm going down the bio pellet/ skimming route. But I don't want large fish. I think putting large fish in an aquarium just makes it feel smaller which is the opposite of what I try to do with everything else.

You can get a good price for the MP10, the sump can use a simple pump for a powerhead.

Probably right.

Archived