Top Shelf Aquatics

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#CyphastreaGoals

As soon as the cyphastra grows mouths on the coral holder, I'm removing the plug and putting that thing on my wall. Can't wait.

Think I'm gonna go with t5s for my 20L hopefully I can replicate some of your success.Btw it's only a matter of time before your tank returns to its former glory and you still have those awesome

If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably end up with an LED Hybrid of some sort rather than just the T5s. The 4 bulb T5s are much lower PAR than most LED options. Additionally, the bulbs are only 24" long and you end up with very low lights on the two ends of the tank. You can see some of that from that FTS above. You don't notice it much in person, but the corals notice the difference in PAR on the ends for sure.

Kat, do you remember what the PAR numbers were from when you lent me your meter?

Kat, do you remember what the PAR numbers were from when you lent me your meter?

Nope

I know your PAR was horrible but also you hadn't changed your bulbs in a very long time when you took measurements.

Nope

I know your PAR was horrible but also you hadn't changed your bulbs in a very long time when you took measurements.

I remember changing the bulbs and it made very little difference.

• 1 month later...

So I did some testing today and found despite me doing a weekly 5 gallon water change with RSCP salt, my dKh, Ca, and Mg were all stupid low. (5, 370, 1150) or something. So I think I need to suck it up and go back to dosing again. So now i'm trying to figure out what doser and what brand I should use. Any thoughts? I've been looking at the GHL, does anyone know if it has history of dosing and so you can go back and see that it actually dosed at 3 in the morning when you thought you had told it to? The previous one I used you kind of set it and prayed and had no idea if it was working or not.... I never had any confidence in the thing.

More testing and starting dosing again. dKH is back to 8, Ca around 450, MG up to 1300, still some work to do. Another water change is scheduled in the morning, but the kids reminded me that it was all worthwhile tonight...

YxHSc9k.jpg

From what I've been told and read they're some of the most reliable dosing pumps out there and can even be calibrated to dose down to 0.1mL increments.I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one myself especially now that I added some acros to my cube.

From what I've been told and read they're some of the most reliable dosing pumps out there and can even be calibrated to dose down to 0.1mL increments.I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting one myself especially now that I added some acros to my cube.

That's great to hear. If I put in a doser I'll probably upgrade the light as well. I'm thinking a nano box, maybe a hybrid of a quad. I wouldn't turn the quad all the way up but I feel it would give me much better coverage than a duo. I like really soft light and two pucks don't feel like they would give me that.

Awesome ... that Meteor Shower. :)

I like the placement of the Mystic Sunset looking monti in the middle of the cyphastrea. It's mean enough to fight it off, I wonder if it can? My green digi is losing and the darn Meteor Shower is climbing up the trunk.

Awesome ... that Meteor Shower. :)

I like the placement of the Mystic Sunset looking monti in the middle of the cyphastrea. It's mean enough to fight it off, I wonder if it can? My green digi is losing and the darn Meteor Shower is climbing up the trunk.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when they meet. If it starts to lose I'll pop it off and put it somewhere else, but I'm hoping it wins that fight.

Well back from a week long vacation and the tank looks no worse for the wear. Did some dosing, needs a water change and the glass cleaned, and should be ready for some more pictures this weekend with any luck. I've got thousand odd vacation photos to sort through in the mean time.

Here's a couple of the shots. Didn't include any of the Denver Zoo other than the art, that was pretty amazing. Both have click for full zoom glory, which is worth it in both cases.

This is the art at the zoo by Washed Ashore, really neat stuff.

CscGXgQ.jpg

If you want more info, see here: http://washedashore.org

And here's a panoramic from the top of pikes peak.

WucQ2gg.jpg

Welcome home

Thanks!

Archived