Top Shelf Aquatics

Best Ghetto DIY jobs around

metrokat

Oh, but Batgirl, please remember what I told you when we first met - Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I like my tanks like I like my girls. A little rugh around the edges.

Such a bad boy!

Lmao prime much kat?

And what is your point here! Are you saying I ghetto prime? :angry:

I forgot to take pictures of my floor, or my arm. :lol:

Everybody was laughing at me :blush:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kat...........the best thread starter in all of Nano Reef Land!!!!!!

Love this thread. I can't say I've done any ghetto on my tank, but I have done more than my fair share on DIY home projects!!!!

• Like 1

Im actually proud of these two builds.

2012-06-30121639.jpg

2012-06-30121159.jpg

2012-07-03064709.jpg

Cut the acrylic on a table saw today. Soo much better than scoring and breaking it. So take that LOWES :naughtydance: Just built the sump.

PICTURES!

Taped

2012-10-02182219.jpg

Glued

2012-10-02190736.jpg

Brainstorming

2012-10-02192917.jpg

Fin

2012-10-02202205.jpg

2012-10-22121942.jpg

Did you do the whole " drill 5 times with a small drill bit to make it look like a big drill hole?"

I'm famous for that.

That sump is awesome. Nice job on it.

Did you do the whole " drill 5 times with a small drill bit to make it look like a big drill hole?"

I'm famous for that.

That sump is awesome. Nice job on it.

Lol yeah i didnt have my my bit set

My very first DIY stand:

uglystand%20001.jpg

Now repurposed to house a Kenyan sand boa, who does not seem to mind that his stand looks like it was built by a five-year-old.

It held up a 20g long for 5 years, and I would bet it still could (even if my kenyan sand boa became a kenyan water boa), but it's just better if the reefs get the new hotness and the snakes get the old-n-busted.

Gala I do the same thing with the bread ties I got tired of all the wires looking the same and realizing I unplugged the wrong thing again.

Here is my ghetto stand/light set up. Yes I know it looks like I am asking for a fire. But I am confident that it is wired correctly. Even though it is naked and looks like crap. (You should see the sides/top/inside. It is even more rather horrible to look at. Under the rather nice looking doors (which are not attached) is an old wrought iron frame that I eventually am going to permanently mount the doors to, and use the wrought iron as highlights for a wooden insert. Gallon jugs are sitting next to one which is on the diy auto top off uni.t (Which is a frankenstined pump that works surprisingly well and only cost 1$ to mod.) The inside of the sump is equally freaky looking. Looks like a mad science lab. I have all sorts of crazy contraptions hanging from wires and stands.

Everything works in the tank and the sump, it is all safe too. Some parts of it look a bit more questionable then other parts. I DIY just about everything possible due to being broke constantly (in full time vo-tech, so no job at the moment.)

If you want I can break out the camera and get shots of my other ghetto bits and pieces but here is an overall shot.

post-77562-1353380119_thumb.jpg

P.S. - The towels are for a seep problem the tank has when I put my arm in. The tank settled a bit more into the carpet and it sometimes seeps a few drops of water. Not the permanent solution but right now I am stuck as to how to level the stand with all the weight it has on it. Going to find a car jack to tilt the stand to get another shim in there. So far none of the jacks have fit.

it was pretty ghetto. the end caps were exposed, the aluminum "angle iron" were thin and flimsy. the thing wobbled quite a bit. it was pretty dangerous esp when i need the light out of the way to work inside the tank

Idk if its ghetto or just straight up lazy, but my stand was originally designed to fit a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon for topping off underneath. I upgraded the sump to a 20 h, and now can only fit 1 gallon, or 2-3 days at a time, and its a TIGHT FIT! I gt tired of squeezing a bottle in all the time, so I've got a bright orange 5 gallon bucket in the middle of my room and the cabinet door hasn't been shut in about a month.

This is also how I keep my intake for the aqua lifter inside the water at the bottom, not floating at top and suckin in air.

410BCF03-74A3-49BD-B77D-7381D0B8B510-3851-0000056917B10613.jpg

It's a jbj ato clip and airline hosing wrapped together with plumbers tape :lol:

Couldn't resist. I actually used this for a hot second while I set up. I could probably grow some nice Acro with this right?

tankwet.jpg

:lol: THis really made me laugh. I have another ghetto light i will take pics of today.

Archived