Pod Your Reef

Mark's 40B and 46 bow

markalot

Excellent thanks. I've noticed if you go full it seems to go into over drive, I'm usually 2 dots below max but think I'll try up one more and see how it goes.

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent thanks. I've noticed if you go full it seems to go into over drive, I'm usually 2 dots below max but think I'll try up one more and see how it goes.

Yea, sounds like a plane taking off, which is much better than the cheap whine the MP10 makes on the other side of the tank.

new page repost

I made another change I forgot to mention.

I really like the Razor but I missed the T5 colors, so I'm now running a makeshift combination of lighting.

First I added the 120 degree lenses to the razor and tested par on the glass before and after.

12" above glass, 90 lenses. 750 max, 100 at right edge (of fixture, not the tank).

12" above glass, 120 lenses. 430 max, 130 at right edge.

I still say these are not very useful, losing 300 par to gain 30 on the edge is crap, but I needed to lower the light so there ya go.

Lowered the light to 6 inches and added a 2 bulb Aquaticlife T5HO to the front of the tank running Coral+ and Purple+. If I had space I would run T5 in back as well, but I don't, so this is how it's setup now.

-front-

Coral+

Purple+

Maxspect Razor 160W, 780 max PAR on glass

BuildMyLED custom spectrum (warm white, blue, royal blue, true violet)

This gives me good spread and decent par throughout the tank and looks a lot better to my eyes. The Razor coverage is still good and still provides a nice sunrise and sunset simulation with the supplemental lights are off.

You can really see the flow as your blenny plays in it! I do not consider that video drab. The colors looked good to me.

You can really see the flow as your blenny plays in it! I do not consider that video drab. The colors looked good to me.

Thanks. It's a white balance issue apparently. The green slimer is knock your eyes out green, and very bright, but appears dull grey green in the video. I used YouTube enhancements to move the white balance +2 which really brings out the green, but it's still processing. I think it's stuck. :)

I just read through this thread on RC: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2356870

65 gallon shallow using the MaxSpect Razor and nothing else. WOW.

Ok,

operation 'scoot in' was completed with relatively minor damage and a bit of slime. My goal was to scoot the scape in slightly to both give a few inches extra along each side and better arrange my corals so I can see all of them. The giant green birdsnest came off it's rock and I was holding the darn thing in my hand. It's as big as my head (and my head is pretty big :o ).

But before I show the FTS, I was amazed just how much better the color is from the top of the tank without glass in the way. It's stunning! The top down photos were distorted badly because I was taking through the water surface but here are some smaller ones as examples of color.

The green slimer is GREEN, much greener that when viewed from the front.

qe1kq.jpg

The purple fuzzy is sort of purple, and certainly fuzzy.

dlhn.jpg

Now this one, the mystery green and blue. Look at the blue tip and the cool yellowish base.

9bx6.jpg

I was most excited about this one. It still appears mostly brown from the front but I believe I might have a nice milli here.

bhuwl.jpg

My purple poci does not look this good from the front.

bwoxd.jpg

FTS before rescape

c04o.jpg

and after, slime courtesy of the green slimer.

ql7n3.jpg

Its done. 72x18x26 150 gallon corner overflow tank and stand ordered. Sometime this winter all contents of both these tanks except for the purple punk fish will be transferred and my only nano will be my 29. Wooh!

Its done. 72x18x26 150 gallon corner overflow tank and stand ordered. Sometime this winter all contents of both these tanks except for the purple punk fish will be transferred and my only nano will be my 29. Wooh!

Cant wait! I love nano's but I love big mo fuggers too!

That's too cool man, can't wait to see what you do with it!!

Always nice seeing those tanks Mark. I traded my old setup for a 29 gallon biocube, 7 highend zoas and some ghetto ass leds lol. But im happy to setup this cube.

Tank should arrive Sunday evening after the LFS closes and they drive it over.

Another MP40 purchased.

Maxspect Razor 300W 16K purchased, which I'll marry to my 27" fixture. I really wanted the Mazarra but can't justify the huge up front cost of getting the 5 or 6 modules needed to properly light the tank.

Trigger Ruby 36"x15" sump purchased.

SWC Xtreme 180 Cone Protein Skimmer purchased, will arrive sometime next week. I think the Canadian mounties will deliver it.

Monterey Stand dimensions (I had to read through 50 q&a posts on the Marineland site to find this):

Outside dimensions: 74.250 19.500 34.500
It has 3 doors.
The two ends are NOT removable.
Interior dimensions: 69.750 15.750 31.000
2 rear braces
Tank Cavity: 72.750 18.750 2.000
Door opening: (1) 15.675(w) (1) 40.675(w) 25.750(h)

BREX

I'm going to need a step stool to reach into the tank, and I'm 6' tall. :)

Oh crap, forgot the return pump. I knew I was forgetting something. It will be an eheim something or other.

EHEIM 1262 ordered.

I'll start a new thread in the large tank forum soon.

A new tank Mark? Both of your current tanks can barely hold all the awesomeness. Here's hoping the upgrade can bring its A game :D.

A new tank Mark? Both of your current tanks can barely hold all the awesomeness. Here's hoping the upgrade can bring its A game :D.

Yes, we are expecting great things!

The MP40 ripped some flesh off a branch of the slimer closest to the pump. Oops. Backed it off to 60% max with the MP10 at 90%.

These will work better in the 150. :)

Wooooo!!!!!

I can't get over the beautiful color you get out of your lights. These tanks photograph so well!

Thanks. This is why I chose the bugger razor for the 150, it's a great light IMO.

I can't get over the beautiful color you get out of your lights. These tanks photograph so well!

+1000

Serious man, the POP your getting over there is impressive! If i can get 3/4 of this color out my corals with my new LEDs, i'd be one happy reefer!

+1000

Serious man, the POP your getting over there is impressive! If i can get 3/4 of this color out my corals with my new LEDs, i'd be one happy reefer!

Thanks, but all is not well. I know my MP40 and flow addiction stripped some of my slimer skin off but now the super blue acro near it is showing skin loss and I'm not sure it's flow. Hopefully this does not spread.

fbqh8.jpg

KH 7.7, same as last Friday

Calcium 410

SG 36ppt (a little high)

I took my vortechs off synch, backed the MP40 down to 25 % and kept the MP10 at 90%. I'm doing nothing else except looking at it again tomorrow morning to see if it's spread. I took a bunch of macro shots of my other acros and they look really good, so I'm stumped.

Archived