Coral Vue Hydros

Mark's 40B and 46 bow

markalot

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's a lot of coral! Mark, if you keep up at this pace I see a BIG tank build coming.

:D Not going to happen I'm afraid. I'm suffering from tennis elbow on my left arm, which is really bucket elbow since I'm right handed but did my lifting with my left hand. My water changes now consist of 3, 5 gallon buckets each with 1 - 2 gallons of water in them so they aren't too heavy. I think this may qualify as my first age related injury and I'm not happy about it.

I will probably just let everything grow into each other and see what survives. At least I have the bubble algae on the run. :)

:D Not going to happen I'm afraid. I'm suffering from tennis elbow on my left arm, which is really bucket elbow since I'm right handed but did my lifting with my left hand. My water changes now consist of 3, 5 gallon buckets each with 1 - 2 gallons of water in them so they aren't too heavy. I think this may qualify as my first age related injury and I'm not happy about it.I will probably just let everything grow into each other and see what survives. At least I have the bubble algae on the run. :)

I hear ya about the age thing. I wanted to go back to the LFS and service tanks again (since I loved that job) when I am done caring for Mom but at 54 years old, I am thinking that may not be the wisest idea. I only have one body and it needs to last me for the duration.LOL

The 40 is getting difficult to take pics of due to lights from the other tanks and reflection off the back door. Anyway, here's the latest. I'm pleased with how things are going. Feeding two pinches of reef roids every evening and a cap of Acro Power around 4PM when I get home.

I now have my Razor ramping up to 100% blue and white at 5PM where it stays for about 15 minutes before slowly ramping back down for the evening. Total white light time around 8 hours. My random frags are starting to color up and a couple of them look really unique. The frags from Unique Corals have held their color but are still settling in.

dgk63.jpg

f7ysr.jpg

I've managed to hold KH between 7.7 and 8.1 over a week while Calcium has stayed fairly steady around 420.

Nanofreak79

Not sure if you posted this, but do you have a timer schedule I could try out? I just put a razor over my 60 and wonder if I'm in need of more light and better ramp times. Corals all seem happy as of now. Also did you keep the optics/reflectors off your razor or did you out them back on? Nice tank bty, everything looks sweet.

Time White Blue
---------------
06:00 0% 1%
13:00 10% 100%
17:00 100% 100%
21:00 10% 100%
22:00 0% 0%

13 inches above glass tops. Standard reflectors. I tried the wide white reflectors but I thought they were useless. Be careful with the light levels unless you feed heavily.

Not sure if you posted this, but do you have a timer schedule I could try out? I just put a razor over my 60 and wonder if I'm in need of more light and better ramp times. Corals all seem happy as of now. Also did you keep the optics/reflectors off your razor or did you out them back on? Nice tank bty, everything looks sweet.

Thanks. :)

Nanofreak79

Thanks for the timer settings. I feed pretty heavy, but will watch my sps carefully. They usually tell me first if something's off.

Forget looks, forget colors, forget elite fuzzy sticks.

If I can somehow make it 9 years with a tank I'll call it a success.

I posted this over in Tibbsy's thread, but I think the larger sand grain size is one way to ensure no serious tank crashes due to sandbed age and other issues.

Mark what is all the yellow stuff on a few of those rocks?

And is that big birdsnest colony a green bird?

I was wondering the same thing....colors in that tank look incredible.

Thanks. It is a green birds nest and it is expanding about a mm a day.

The yellow stuff is light green algae on the new rocks, hilighted by the warm white LEDs in a BuildMyLED strip that lights they front of the tank. It is yellowish but no it that yellow.

In the pic above, see how close the bird is to the monti (bottom left)? Those are now just a hair from touching.

It's a neon green birdsnest from Pacific East Aquaculture. There were at a local frag swap, a really nice couple who told me they were the PEA team for most of the midwestern swaps. So many great looking frags, but only so much money.

That bird is stunning... :eek:

MP40wES ordered, should be here tomorrow. Enough messing around with the WP40 which is just not stable enough for my 40 gallon. I love these in my 46, I only have to clean every month or so, but in my 40 the power dropped too rapidly to maintain the level of flow I need. This will also be a good purchase for when I upgrade to a 65 or larger in a year or so.

Nanofreak79

New toys are fun. I love my mp10's, one of the best purchases I've made. I own the WP-10. It's an alright little pump, can't complain to much. Especially for the price.

MP40 installed. Lots of water flow now. I'll see if I can get a video of the flow later today.

From the 46, I'm trying to ID these montipora.

This was a large frag for cheap, I assume due to the drab red/brown polyps on a whitish background. I've had it for 3 weeks but just mounted it on this rock last weekend and already it's encrusting.

esrh.jpg

8o9e.jpg

Second is bright green with a purplish edge.

766o.jpg

exactlyobp

Hot damn, both tanks look good! I can see why you have multiple tanks, but you're running out of space! Where is the SSC from UC placed?

Hot damn, both tanks look good! I can see why you have multiple tanks, but you're running out of space! Where is the SSC from UC placed?

Yae, I am still suffering from new reefer coralitus. :). The SSC is about 1/4 of the way up, middle of the tank, under about 310 par. Its on the right side of the closeup photo at the top of this page.

Vivid Aquarium sells the purple rim montipora cap. I've always loved those.http://www.vividaquariums.com/p-7175-purple-rim-montipora-capricornus.aspx

Ah, thanks. The green is very intense, more so than my other green monti, but it could be. For 15 bucks I think I lucked into a nice piece.

Ah, thanks. The green is very intense, more so than my other green monti, but it could be. For 15 bucks I think I lucked into a nice piece.

Definitely scored! They are a really nice looking cap :).

Video showing flow with MP40 and MP10 in sync. I tried anti-sync but synced seems to create more chaos.

The youtube enhancer is stuck processing, so the video drab but good enough to show the flow.

Thanks! Reef Crest, with the max flow 1 dot below max. At max it gets a little bit crazy in there. My skimmer has increased output dramatically with the increased flow, which is a good thing IMO.

Looking really great Mark. What power settings do you leave the Vortechs on?

Archived