Coral Vue Hydros

Ecotech Vortech MP10 ES Dry Side Bearing Replacement Guide by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

bdevillier19

im looking at picking up a used MP10wes tomorrow for $100 due to a noisy dry side. if its not too bad i plan on attempting to replace the bearings, just hope it fixes it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

It all depends on the noise. If it is a grinding noise that happens when the wet side is NOT attached, then new bearings will help/fix it completely. If it is a noise that only happens when the wet side is attached (like one of my MP40), then the bearings probably won't do much.

I received and installed Ceramic Hybrid bearings on Tuesday

SMR147C-2YS NB2 Radial Bearings

Definately these pumps wear out the 'drive' bearings faster than the 'tail' bearings

Of the ones I've pulled apart so far, each one has had binding bearings on the magnetic drive end but the tail end bearings were fine

The tail end bearing needed some help to come off. I actually pulled the drive bearing off with my fingernails, and was also able to install the drive bearing by hand, whereas I had to use tools to remove the tail bearing, and lightly press it back on. I suspect it's a case of shaft milling and leads me back to my ideas about these units not being machined/produced with enough care to last long-term

I currently have the pump running in my sump's return chamber for a 'break-in' period

I don't hear it being quieter but rather louder/different pitch than the first bearings I used

Granted, I have it running at 100%, so keep that in mind

I'll report back after a couple weeks

Others have stated these ceramics are not as quiet as the steel on steel version and, so far, I'll agree. But the 'pitch' of the noise is different so some may not mind them

I plan on using this and another dry side on the farthest side of the tank from us and, having 2 pumps running there, I'll try them on half speed

Then I'll use the quietest dry side on the end of the tank closest to us on 100% and hope this will not only solve our noise issue, but also create some more flow throughout the whole tank as I feel we need a 3rd pump

Reporting back soon on the Ceramic bearings ....

Thanks for liking my post Nano ;)

And a big thanks to Cory @ BOCA Bearings for all his help fingerscrossed

• 4 months later...

My MP10 has no number on the bearings :(

I also have two super thin washers that fell out also. I noticed no one mentioned anything about washers.

The inner casing is labeled " NO. 20091205

I'm not sure which size to order :(

Any help will be great.

Thanks

From my guide... page one

"Now turn the motor over and you will see three screws holding the metal motor housing parts together. Use a phillips screw driver and remove the screws. Take note there are washers that may fall out. You need to note their original location for reassembly later. Pull the end cap off slowly."

The dims should be on the outer bearing casing.

Can you carefully measure the dims of the bearings?

From my guide... page one

The dims should be on the outer bearing casing.

Can you carefully measure the dims of the bearings?

Ahh good catch. I went ahead and ordered the 687-2RS 7x14x5.

Not a catch, I wrote it ;)

Thanks for the terrific write up. So I noticed one of the washers is a spring washer? Also, I didn't pay attention on where the washer placements were when they fell out. The spring washer is definitely on side opposite the 'slotted' shaft, the bearing show sign of it. But, I'm not sure if the second washer is on the 'slotted' shaft bearing side (against the casing) or are the two washer butted up against each other on the one side.

I didn't get a chance to measure the washers before ordering and I only ordered one bearing as the other one seem fine and difficult to take off even with the freezer method. I'll most likely reseal the casing with 'bathtub/sink type' silicon so I can easily get back in in the event the bearings fail again.

• 3 months later...

I had some luck this week with an old dryside :D

I had one sitting around that appears to be one of the originals built. It takes 6x15 bearings, instead of 7x14s

I just installed it and it's waaaay quieter than the last time I installed new bearings on a 7x14 !!!

I'm still convinced there is an issue with some of EcoTech's builds where there are imbalanced shaft issues causing premature wear/noise etc.

I have 1 unit (out of 4) that has never needed repairs. It's still silent to this day. It's my master unit and is the one I run on the highest setting.

We still don't hear it B)

Regardless, within minutes of plugging in this old unit I'm super happy

Here's to hoping it stands up for a year or so ....

• 6 months later...
reefer4eva

I know this is an old thread and I'm hoping someone here can possibly help me..I acquired an mp10es from someone for free (well free always comes with a price)anyways the dry side motor screws where stripped out on the head from the previous owner so I had no other choice but to drill out the screws..my question is does anyone know where I get the 3 screws that hold the motor together or does anyone know the correct size of the screws?i already replaced the bearings..tapped out the threads for the screws ..upgraded the quiet drive driver,rf module .all that is left is to find new screws..please help!

post-72573-0-87773500-1432680885_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you still need the screws you will find them here... http://www.mcmaster.com/

I dont know the size but if anyone has them its McMaster Carr.

Bob

Mosier99, on 08 Sept 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

does anyone know where i can get the last 3 screws for the motor housing? 2 out 3 are stripped. or at lest tell me what kind of screw i they are? thank u

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if the screw holding the magnet to the motor is left handed?

No, its not. Righty-righty, lefty-loosey,

On a side note, mine was a hex and the head stripped out. I had to extract it. Does anyone have a screw size for the screw that holds the magnet in place?

c6JRtDz.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No, its not. Righty-righty, lefty-loosey,

On a side note, mine was a hex and the head stripped out. I had to extract it. Does anyone have a screw size for the screw that holds the magnet in place?

c6JRtDz.jpg

Its an M3 with something like 14mm long head to end. You can get stainless steel variants in this size at a fastenal or other similar store.

• 1 month later...

I have a positive update ... finally !

I've tried both ceramic and stainless bearings, with the option of sealed or open. Open being a metal outer retainer without lube.

Sealed has a rubber-ish seal and is greased or oiled depending on the option.

So, after years of messing around, it appears that the ones who have had success with chrome on chrome bearings had it right all along ;)

I can't yet give you long-term results as I've only had the bearings installed for a week, but I can tell you that my initial impression, and a week into it, is that these are the best choice for us.

So, I took an old unit out of my closet and installed some chrome on chrome bearings with a green seal.

Instantly the unit is near silent.

I put it next to my almost brand new MP10wQD and they sound nearly the same. There is a distinct difference, but the noise is very close.

Tonight I upgraded the dry side of the old unit with the new bearings to a QD driver.

Now the dry side is sooo close in noise to the new stock QD unit that I'd be surprised if anyone not in the know would be able to distingish the 2 !!!

Happy to report that these bearings work well

Below are the links for BOCA Bearings

I've used the 7x14 and have 6x15 on the way to repair another old unit

Tried to link products to the site. Gather this forum blocks this kind of thing.

Go to bocabearings.com and search for;

mr147-2gs for 7x14x5

mr696-2gs for 6x15x5

Its an M3 with something like 14mm long head to end. You can get stainless steel variants in this size at a fastenal or other similar store.

@ Mojado

If that ever happens to you again, cut a slot in it with a dremmel so you can use a flat head screwdriver to pull the screw out.

Then you can still use the stock screw !

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2015 at 5:56 PM, reefer4eva said:

I know this is an old thread and I'm hoping someone here can possibly help me..I acquired an mp10es from someone for free (well free always comes with a price)anyways the dry side motor screws where stripped out on the head from the previous owner so I had no other choice but to drill out the screws..my question is does anyone know where I get the 3 screws that hold the motor together or does anyone know the correct size of the screws?i already replaced the bearings..tapped out the threads for the screws ..upgraded the quiet drive driver,rf module .all that is left is to find new screws..please help!

post-72573-0-87773500-1432680885_thumb.jpg

I just ran into the same issue... did you ever locate the correct screw size?

Archived