ReefCleaners.org

Ecotech Vortech MP10 ES Dry Side Bearing Replacement Guide by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

BeardedReeferLLC

I don't even have one of those, and have no idea where in the surrounding counties to even find one. :/

Do some research jack!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah. ;)

I wish you luck in that. Ceramic bearings were never made to be quiet - you probably just got lucky. I've had four sets of those bearings be loud as a friggin banshee.

Not luck ..... Skill!

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha, fair enough...I already have similar stuff. The advantage is the size vs. the strength(and the fact you get about 3 clicks per one click of a full sized ratchet....big deal in tight spaces) Well, bearings replaced, took all of about 25 minutes....runs like a raped ape! Thanks Ben!

Does this mean it is loud or quiet. IMO a "raped ape" would probably be fairly loud primate...

:haha::haha: :haha:

I laughed my ass of, but then I felt a little bad since I have a pet macaque :wacko:

Here he is sitting on my head, while we swim underwater:

:)

That sir is some crazy #### right there!

Well done!

Now if you could get him to fix the thousands of defective MP10's out there, you could make a living at this :)

That sir is some crazy #### right there!

Well done!

Now if you could get him to fix the thousands of defective MP10's out there, you could make a living at this :)

Yes, he's AWESOME! Best pet/family member/son anyone could wish and/or dream for! :wub:

Sadly I recon that he would break so many MP10s before he learns how to fix them, that he would never make it up and break even, in his whole lifetime :(

Anyway, he would probably prefer to break the MP10s, even if he knew how to fix them, so... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I tried this once and to remove those bearings is a bitch! Sorry but you must have super human strength because I tried doing exactly as you said. I even left the bearing in the freezer for an hour but that didn't help me at all because they didn't budge one bit.

anyone recommend a bearing puller?

I ran into the same problem, I tried to replace both my mp10's bearings. The first one which is the oldest mp10, I had no problem with, the second mp10 bearings were on super tight. I went full force on it and actually broke the bearings yet the inner piece of the bearings were still stuck on the shaft!! :huh:

The replacement dry side just arrived today and this is probably old news to some, but I really like the new matte rubberized finish!

853b.jpg

jedimasterben

Interesting that they're updating them. I wonder if they're ever going to release a properly designed MP40 wet side in the same style as the MP10 and MP60 wet sides.

jedimasterben

Oh crap.... I'm gonna be sending in one of my MP40 dry sides for replacement... if they have redesigned the outer bits of the 40, too, I'm gonna have to buy a new Mp40 and MP10 dry sides so all of mine will match! D'oh!

Seriously Ben, if you have mixed matched Vortech's like those mixed matched beds they sell at Sleep Country, no one will notice, once the coralline algae covers them like a sheet :)

But the dry sides won't be covered in it! :P

And do you have bed skirts? If not, you will see my point.

But I am all for selling the old and buying the all new rubberized look with the the same noisy bearings because the rubber will help dampen the sound a little.

Yep, I replaced the bearings with what jedi linked to back on pg. 2 and it is much quieter than the new dry side. At least both are a lot quieter now than what they used to sound like before, except one just looks better and :ninja: . I'm tempted now to buy another dry side, then I may have enough parts to rock 3-4 mp10s. :happy:

jedimasterben

Yep, I replaced the bearings with what jedi linked to back on pg. 2 and it is much quieter than the new dry side. At least both are a lot quieter now than what they used to sound like before, except one just looks better and :ninja: . I'm tempted now to buy another dry side, then I may have enough parts to rock 3-4 mp10s. :happy:

DO ITTTTTT

LOL I already have enough controllers for the three but need a new dry side to complete everything. Both of the units I am using now need bearings replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for you guys. I bought a very old used blue box MP10 that already had the bearings replaced once. Its gotten super loud on me since I've had it running for a while, so I figured I needed to replace the bearings again. Well I got it all apart to check the numbers on the bearings, but I can't find any numbers for the bearing size. The bearings aren't the original bearings, but were replaced with ceramic bearings that don't seem to have any sort of size label I can see. Does anyone know where I should be looking on the ceramic bearings for the numbers, or how to figure out the bearing size?

jedimasterben

Quick question for you guys. I bought a very old used blue box MP10 that already had the bearings replaced once. Its gotten super loud on me since I've had it running for a while, so I figured I needed to replace the bearings again. Well I got it all apart to check the numbers on the bearings, but I can't find any numbers for the bearing size. The bearings aren't the original bearings, but were replaced with ceramic bearings that don't seem to have any sort of size label I can see. Does anyone know where I should be looking on the ceramic bearings for the numbers, or how to figure out the bearing size?

These are the ones you want: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7471

I was planning to order that type based on your recommendation, but I'm not sure what size I need. Are you sure an old blue box model would be the size you linked? I know there are two sizes, 687 or 696 and I'm not sure which I need since the current ceramic bearings don't have any size labels I can see.

jedimasterben

I was planning to order that type based on your recommendation, but I'm not sure what size I need. Are you sure an old blue box model would be the size you linked? I know there are two sizes, 687 or 696 and I'm not sure which I need since the current ceramic bearings don't have any size labels I can see.

The ones I linked are good for blue box and wES up to late 2011.

The ones I linked are good for blue box and wES up to late 2011.

Ok perfect. I also just measured the bearing and that seems to be correct. Thanks so much, Ben!

Btw, thanks so much for this amazing write-up, Christine! Its super clear and the photos for each step helped a lot. I never would have been brave enough to pull apart a $200 powerhead without this thread :D

My bearings are ordered and my MP10 is all put back together for the time being and functioning just fine (other than the noise of course). I ordered the bearings Ben suggested. Hopefully they'll be here in a week or so and I'll let you guys know how the MP10 sounds afterwards. Its SUPER loud now, so I can't wait to quiet it down!

Archived