Innovative Marine Aquariums

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Reefmaster1996

Hey guys it's been a while, I've been on vacation for a bit and the tank has survived.

I am beginning to try Sps coral again now that I have got rid of some fish. I am down to the baby dejardini tang, my pair of clowns, my pair of banghias, a yellow corris wrasse, and I recently added a mandarin dragonet (my last fish addition), so that 7 fish. Which is a lot better than. The 10+ I used to have. Also for about 2 months I had a hatched and grown a baby coral banded shark, which I removed last week after the decline of pretty much all my coral due to bioload.

I recently added a tricolor and Oregon tort frag, which are recovering from stress form my bioload. Other than that I have kept up with my regular water changes and maitnance/dosing. Everything else is doing fine including the 2 clams and montipora spongodes frag. I will try to get some pics uploaded tommorrow.

Reefmaster1996

Params as of just now according to API:

Ph:8.1

Alk: 6dkh (needs to be 7)

Cal: 450ppm

Nitrate:0ppm

Phosphate:0ppm

Reefmaster1996

sorry guys ive been really busy,

Mag:1380

Phos:0

test according to salifert

hope this makes up for it

FTS soon

Vid update

post-69045-0-92730500-1407374079_thumb.jpg

Reefmaster1996

Ordered the following from Bulk Reef Supply:

KZ Phols B Balance, KZ Coral Vitilizer, and KZ Phols K balance

Reefmaster1996

Thanks, mean a lot, I will be ordering more blue bottles in the coming weeks, as I try these out and see what results I get.

I'm sure your amused by my amaueture camera, I can take good pics and vid, I just don't have the camera or equipment to do do at the moment.

Reefmaster1996

Took the 250w halide off, too much light, tank is settling in on ulns, and too much light is bad, put led from 20 gallon back on, should improve Sps.

Took the 250w halide off, too much light, tank is settling in on ulns, and too much light is bad, put led from 20 gallon back on, should improve Sps.

Were corals actually bleached, or did u just make the assumption it was too much light? A 250w should be perfect for your tank. Maybe you should have tried moving it up first. I dont see a 250w halide being too much for this footprint. It should have been perfect. You could have riased the light or shortened the photo period

Stability is key. Give the system a chance to work before you change things.

Reefmaster1996

My tricolor was beginning to have the pigment in the flesh, lighten and look as if it would bleach within a day , I put it on the sand bed, and it started to recover the flesh pigmentation, the damage was isolated to the side most exposed to the light, due to these fact I determined the light was too much in ulns. I put the LEDs on and I have better polyp extension and zoas that have been closed for a while have begun to open up. My temp is stable at 78.1-78.2f, I don't have to run a cooling fan, and evap is cut in half. I tried a shorter photoperiod, but even at 6hrs it was too much light, loved the halide, but I have to use the dimmable LEDs until I'm done with my led fixture.

I have learned that stability is key the hard way before, trust me I made the right call. It is what caused my last batch of Sps to bleach slowly on the light exposed areas, and again with this test frag.

Thanks for the concern, I look forward to adding some frags soon, from a local reefer with a ridiculous 300g Sps tank, and he regularly sells frags out of it, as well as a fully stocked frag tank, time to get designer frags for 10$

Were corals actually bleached, or did u just make the assumption it was too much light? A 250w should be perfect for your tank. Maybe you should have tried moving it up first. I dont see a 250w halide being too much for this footprint. It should have been perfect. You could have riased the light or shortened the photo period

Stability is key. Give the system a chance to work before you change things.

+1 on this. So true.

Reefmaster1996

And this is now for sale, any body interested in quality equipment, ie vortech pumps, dc powered skimmer, pm, will slowly take her down and sell unless some one in florida wants the whole chebang for 2000$ OBO

What happen man??

Pm me if you are seriously looking to sell. I don't want to see you quit, but if u have truly made up your mind, I might be interested. Pm me a list with everything included.

P.s. I'm in Orlando.

Reefmaster1996

A couple of reasons, I will begin college next fall, I don't want to keep paying money for up keep, I'm saving up to buy a boat, and I just wants break from the hobby, I'm just a kid still and make very little money to support the hobby, I plan in getting back into it when colleg starts, but in the form of a frag tank, in order to make some spare cash. I just don't want to put the effort forth at this time, life is getting hectic as it is. I much rather sell the tank now, than watch it slowly deteriorate over time due to neglect.

I'll pm you a list of all that's for sale Alex.

Reefmaster1996

I

ndividually priced( cleaned with acid and rinsed before sale)PLUS SHIPPING

Reef octo POV DC1 with BRS co2 reactor 420$ (430$ on ebay without reactor)

All pumps silent

Mp 10 ecosmart non W 180$

Mp 40 2nd gen non w with new impeller shaft and bushings in wet side 220$

Sicce syncra 3.0 100$ each, have 2

Vertex zeolith reactor 1.5l with .5l of new stones in bag 175$

American Dj power strip with switches 20$ each have 2

DIY led parts-too mush to list, ask if interested

Custom Tank with DIY stand, plumbing and sump, just needs acrylic painted (ready for equipment)900$

Live stock:

Onyx and grace c perc 90$ for the pair obo

Sailfin tang baby 1.5" 30$

Corris wrasse 25

Tank bred banghai pair 50$

Female Mandarin dragonet not on frozen 15$

Rock structure about 20lbs 80$

Rock itself 4$ a pound,, no pest, was dry has coraline

Marine pure bio block already cultured 75$

Reefmaster1996

Also FS

Red Sea blue bucket 3/4 full 45$