Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996
Updates coming soon (Saturday)

Tank construction 75% completed, just need to clean up the seams with more silicone and razor blade this baby up. I am building the frame of the stand today and water test is scheduled to begin this upcoming Wednesday. I promise I will post pictures up tonight . Sorry but so far this build will be slow and steady so in the very beginning there wasn't anything to post about. Stay tuned and thanks for keeping up!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefmaster1996

Updates coming soon (Saturday)

Tank construction 75% completed, just need to clean up the seams with more silicone and razor blade this baby up. I am building the frame of the stand today and water test is scheduled to begin this upcoming Wednesday. I promise I will post more pictures up tonight . Sorr but so far this build will be slow and steady so in the very beginning there wasn't anything to post about. Stay tuned and thanks for keeping up!

Other Current project (first car) what do you guys think?

sorry for the quality, taken with a iPad.

Reefmaster1996

As you guys can see my father (in the blue) helped me out today with the stand build and siliconed the tank together with me, we will finish the stand tommorrow after school ( need to add extra support beams, paint, and order the white acrylic for the exterior) also the tank needs to be cleaned up and the seams need to be finished up nicely. Other than that its been a really fun DIY project so far! Stay tuned this will keep getting better!

Reefmaster1996

Wow no one wants to follow this build, that's pathetic, come on! No one even has an opinion on any of this! Wow, I must really be wasting my time on here!

Hey, if I may make a suggestions?

I would strip down that fugly black silicone and re-do it, only this time, follow this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuC9TXrDqbM&NR=1

You can see that they utilize tape in order to get extremely clean lines of silicone. You can use blue painters tape as well.

Whenever I decide to build my dream aquarium in the future, it will definitely be using this method.

Oh, by the way, you shouldn't really be posting all this stuff just to impress other people. We post our progress on these websites as a placeholder, and because we enjoy doing it just for the sake of doing it. If you think you are wasting your time posting pictures on your progression, then why do it at all? :lol:

Wow no one wants to follow this build, that's pathetic, come on! No one even has an opinion on any of this! Wow, I must really be wasting my time on here!

Nice build dude!

Seems like you have shamed your public into commenting on your thread, LOL.

Not all threads get the love, I dunno why. You might consider posting bigger pics

for whatever reason, this is the first time I have seen this thread.. LOVE those dimensions, looks like a good build so far. I'll follow ;)

Reefmaster1996
for whatever reason, this is the first time I have seen this thread.. LOVE those dimensions, looks like a good build so far. I'll follow ;)

Thanks guys I don't post for looks or to get people to see my tanks I just like to get opinions. More brains are better then one right!

Thanks guys I don't post for looks or to get people to see my tanks I just like to get opinions. More brains are better then one right!

Also the silicone will be re seamed as I said before and razored up!

Reefmaster1996

The stand build process has slowed down a bit as I have had little time to finish it because of school work, but the new water test date is set to this week end or early next week at the latest. What do you guys think so far?

Reefmaster1996
The stand build process has slowed down a bit as I have had little time to finish it because of school work, but the new water test date is set to this week end or early next week at the latest. What do you guys think so far?

Hey Guys, I plan on adding the last of the extra support beams and panting the stand's frame today, will post pics later if I get around to it!

In order to save some cash and still build an attractive and state of the art system, I was thinking of building a 26x26x16 sump (max water level= 10-12 inches). Can I use 1/4 inch glass for this completely rimless sump?

Using the GARF calculator, it's recommended that you use 1/2". You really want to be carful cutting corners when it comes to glass thickness.

Also here's the link to their aquarium calculator: http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

Looks like a great build and is moving along quite well. Just 1 thing...

tell pops to lose the socks with crocs. :slap: giving us old people a bad name

Reefmaster1996
Looks like a great build and is moving along quite well. Just 1 thing...

tell pops to lose the socks with crocs. :slap: giving us old people a bad name

Haha we literally only wear our crocs with socks, plus he was wearing jeans so you couldn't really tell, also they are much more comfortable with socks on you should try it. Also thanks for watching guys It seems with homework Ill have to finish the stand this weekend , also I will leak test the tank next week after I touch up the seams and razor the excess off (which I haven't gotten to doing), and during Christmas break ill order the custom sump, and return pump so that I can plumb it and run it in my garage just to double check that everything is right before I put it next to a couple of thousand dollar white leather furniture and wood floors that my parents love. Will try to load more pics ASAP.

Using the GARF calculator, it's recommended that you use 1/2". You really want to be carful cutting corners when it comes to glass thickness.

Also here's the link to their aquarium calculator: http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

I double checked and it says to use 1/4, also all the baffles acts as braces so I'm not worried, plus the fact that it will only be about 2/3 full.http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

Page 3 !!! :P

I was using the garf calculator on a four foot shallow 58ish gallons and it said .25 inch. I've been told, and agree there's no way it would hold. All the other online calcs told me the same. One even said it would have a safety factor of 3.9. Go figure. I'm wondering if those calculators can be trusted.

Reefmaster1996
I was using the garf calculator on a four foot shallow 58ish gallons and it said .25 inch. I've been told, and agree there's no way it would hold. All the other online calcs told me the same. One even said it would have a safety factor of 3.9. Go figure. I'm wondering if those calculators can be trusted.

It doesn't calculate fully rimless tans, it calculates for euro races aquariums and with the baffles, I think 1/4 inch will be fine! Any other thoughts?

Haha we literally only wear our crocs with socks, plus he was wearing jeans so you couldn't really tell, also they are much more comfortable with socks on you should try it. Also thanks for watching guys It seems with homework Ill have to finish the stand this weekend , also I will leak test the tank next week after I touch up the seams and razor the excess off (which I haven't gotten to doing), and during Christmas break ill order the custom sump, and return pump so that I can plumb it and run it in my garage just to double check that everything is right before I put it next to a couple of thousand dollar white leather furniture and wood floors that my parents love. Will try to load more pics ASAP.

I double checked and it says to use 1/4, also all the baffles acts as braces so I'm not worried, plus the fact that it will only be about 2/3 full.http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

Page 3 !!! :P

Ahh... Found my error. Didn't notice they switched the ordering around on the calculator. I think it would be okay to go .25" since it will never get filled all the way up. Plus the tank will have additional bracing from your dividers.

It doesn't calculate fully rimless tans, it calculates for euro races aquariums and with the baffles, I think 1/4 inch will be fine! Any other thoughts?

Wish I knew that. Any good links on how the hell a euro brace works?

Reefmaster1996

Tank stand almost completed,just need to add the white acrylic exterior panels. The following pics are in chronological order and where taken today Saturday, Dec. 1st.

Any thoughts so far?

There are more photos but this thing won't let me upload any more at the moment, I think it's because you can only use up so much space on each post, so I need someone to post something so I can post a new post.

NIce so far, I curious to see how the white acrylic will look, Also I noticed you put anemone crabs on your stocking, what type of anemone will you have?

Archived