Coral Vue Hydros

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

Background info:

NEW VIDEO

Okay after having a 20 gallon long run for a year

. I have decided to take the plunge and go for a 70-80 gallon gallon system, with the most state of the art and DIY equipment possible. This new project is going to be a fully automated sps reef that I will try to run with as few water changes possible (newyorksteelo inspired).

Diy Tank description:

30x30x14=50 gallons when filled to 13 inches

Glass sheets cut from glass cages ( would never trust them to build it themselves, also quotes from others are 1,000$ and up!!!)

Coast to coast bean animal overflow and dual returns

Filtration: zeo vit, and bad ass skimmer (reef octopus pov dc1).

30 lbs tropic eden miniflakes

15 lbs of live rock from local vendor (minimalist rock scape with tons of space for Sps growth)

26.5x21.25x16 with 12in water level 37 gallon custom sump ( 24-25 gallons filled)

Return pumps: 2xsicce 3.0 with 900 ish gph ending up in the display

Plumbing style: schedule 40 PVC(painted red to match skimmer) with nylon braided tubing

Media:Esv carbon

DIY stand:

Made out of 2x4's structural design finalized 30x30x37

Exterior: fogged acrylic with led lighting for accent lighting

Lighting:

DIY led fixture

2x (6x10in) rapid led heat sinks

4 led clusters, 1 cluster=1xNW+5xRB+2x(cyan,deep red,cool blue) + 2xHV,1xTV

Leds used:

4x neutral white Xml Crees

20x Phillips rebel es RB(440-460nm)

Phillips rebel es 8x cyan(490-520nm), 8xdeep red (660nm), 8xcool blue(470nm)

12x V= 4x(405nm)+8x(430nm)

Circulation:

900 gph return+ 1 mp10 and 1 mp40

Live stock: can change over time

As of now:

2: grade A premium picasso clownfish

1: Yellow watchman goby pistol shrimp pair

1: Yellow corris wrasse

1: Dejardini sailfin tang

2 :tank bred banghais

Total fish:7 small species

Want to add:

3: small hawian Bartlett's anthias or 2 sunburst anthias

Leopard wrasse(s)

pistol shrimp

Inverts:

Yet to be finalized

Dwarf cerith snails 100+

Skunk cleaner shrimp

Blue leg hermits

Micro brittle sea stars

Corals:

Sps corals dominated

maricultured colonies, some frags (soon to come)

Tank progression so far

SEE Last page for tank progression!

post-69045-0-56236500-1386640783_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-82004600-1389406634_thumb.jpg

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What any, opinion?

Sounds like a lot of mula but it will be sweet!

Also I would skip on the tang and spend that cash on corals. Tangs like length. Especially hippos. At least 4' for a small one. Preferably 6'+

I'm not the biggest fan of LED's but some people make them work. I never could with SPS or softies. I prefer t5's.

Reefmaster1996
Sounds like a lot of mula but it will be sweet!

Also I would skip on the tang and spend that cash on corals. Tangs like length. Especially hippos. At least 4' for a small one. Preferably 6'+

I'm not the biggest fan of LED's but some people make them work. I never could with SPS or softies. I prefer t5's.

Who said I was getting a hippo tang, I might, get a yellow tang but that's a maybe, and it won't be for more than a year. Also Aslong as the led fixture covers most of the spectrum, Sps become a breeze, at work we have a flourishing Sps reef running on ecotech radions.

Who said I was getting a hippo tang, I might, get a yellow tang but that's a maybe, and it won't be for more than a year. Also Aslong as the led fixture covers most of the spectrum, Sps become a breeze, at work we have a flourishing Sps reef running on ecotech radions.

Ohh and yes unfortunately it will cost my wallet to loose some weight, but it will be a slow steady build so it shouldn't hurt too much.

Background info:

Okay after having a 20 gallon long run for a year

. I have decided to take the plunge and go for a 70-80 gallon gallon system, with the most state of the art and DIY equipment possible. The 20 gallon long will be moved downstairs and become a clownfish and anemone biotope, which will hopefully make money from splitting anemones. This new project is going to be a fully automated mixed reef that I will try to run with as few water changes possible (newyorksteelo inspired).

Diy Tank description:

30x30x14=46 gallons when filled to 12-13 inches

Glass sheets cut from glass cages ( would never trust them to build it themselves, also quotes from others are 1,000$ and up!!!)

right overflow box with dual dorso pipe overflows and dual returns

Filtration:

Show refugium with anglerfish:

70-80 lbs of dry fine white sand

10-15 lbs of dry rock (from local vendor) (minimalist rock scape with tons of space for Sps growth)

40 gallon breeder gallon sump/refugium ( 32-34 gallons filled) (only lit 12hrs,only macro algae = cheato morpha)

Sump Chambers in number order(chamber sizes not finalized yet)

1) skimmer/ overflow outlet: skimmer not finalized yet

2)refugium (cheato and refugium mud, anglerfish named el diablo, hopefully red)

3) smallest section- filter pad, media stage

4) pump stage: return pump, emergency drain pump connected to a reservoir

Return pump: mag drive 9.5

Plumbing style: hard PVC

DIY stand:

Made out of 2x4's structural design not finalized yet

Exterior: not finalized, except for clear acrylic door

Lighting:

DIY led fixture

9-12 neutral white XML Crees

18 RB

6x( cyan, deep red, cool blue)

6x TV

Control/ monitoring

Not yet decided( either apex system or adruino DIY controller)

Live stock: can change over time

As of now:

2: grade A picasso clownfish

1: yellow watchman goby pistol shrimp pair ( transferred over form 20 gallon tank)

1:potters angel

1:cherub Pygmy angel ( already in custody)

1-2: wrasse (species not decided yet, either blue star leopard, sixline, or mystery wrasse' if smaller species=2, if larger species=1)

1: Bartlett or lyre tail anthias

Small tang (temporary) if majority of other tank mate species chosen are smaller species foot print is 900in squared so shush tang police!

Inverts:

Yet to be finalized

Corals:

Sps corals

Lps corals -Acan garden

Zoa garden

Thought I read hippo. Any who be prepared to get some comments about it if you haha.

Good luck with the build!

Reefmaster1996
Thought I read hippo. Any who be prepared to get some comments about it if you haha.

Good luck with the build!

Thanks, and don't worry I won't stick a 12 inch tang in a small tank, if I got one it would be gone before it reached 5 inches

Reefmaster1996
Thanks, and don't worry I won't stick a 12 inch tang in a small tank, if I got one it would be gone before it reached 5 inches

I am ordering the glass for the tank build form glass cages on Monday. If I'm using 3/8 glass and the glass will be siliconed around the base not on top, then what sizes of sheets do I get for a 30x30x14 tank?

Reefmaster1996
I am ordering the glass for the tank build form glass cages on Monday. If I'm using 3/8 glass and the glass will be siliconed around the base not on top, then what sizes of sheets do I get for a 30x30x14 tank?

Anyone?

Anyone?

just do the math really carefully. you want 30" across. So front and back panes would be 30" x 14". The sides will need to be 3/4" shorter due to glass thickness of the front panes. So the sides would be 29 1/4" x 14".

Then your bottom would also need to be shorter due to the thickness since you around going around it. 29 1/4" x 29 1/4"

I did that all in my head, but I'm pretty sure it's right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reefmaster1996
just do the math really carefully. you want 30" across. So front and back panes would be 30" x 14". The sides will need to be 3/4" shorter due to glass thickness of the front panes. So the sides would be 29 1/4" x 14".

Then your bottom would also need to be shorter due to the thickness since you around going around it. 29 1/4" x 29 1/4"

I did that all in my head, but I'm pretty sure it's right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah came up with the same calculations, what I don't understand is the reason for the glass being placed around the bottom not on top, is it stronger? Please help.

Yeah came up with the same calculations, what I don't understand is the reason for the glass being placed around the bottom not on top, is it stronger? Please help.

It doesn't really matter. To me it seems more stable around it, but some people think it's better on top.

Reefmaster1996
It doesn't really matter. To me it seems more stable around it, but some people think it's better on top.

Okay guys, just got off the phone with the glasscages person, and the sheets have been orderd ;) .

I am going to build it on top so the sheets are as follows :

1- 30x30

2 - 30x14

2- 29 1/4x14

They should be in by the 17th of this month, and the build shall start as soon as they arrive, I plan on having the main display and stand completed before thanksgiving. Then begins the slow and tedious task of buying all the components and slowly building her from the sump up. So far excitement level has reached a new high! I've been planning this bad boy since the beginning of this year, everything is in place and planned out so this should be a fun build.

Reefmaster1996
Okay guys, just got off the phone with the glasscages person, and the sheets have been orderd ;) .

I am going to build it on top so the sheets are as follows :

1- 30x30

2 - 30x14

2- 29 1/4x14

They should be in by the 17th of this month, and the build shall start as soon as they arrive, I plan on having the main display and stand completed before thanksgiving. Then begins the slow and tedious task of buying all the components and slowly building her from the sump up. So far excitement level has reached a new high! I've been planning this bad boy since the beginning of this year, everything is in place and planned out so this should be a fun build.

Okay so with my glass sheets coming in on the 17th, what silicone do you guys reccomend for the tank build?

Reefmaster1996
Dow corning or GE #1 for silicone

The Dow corning is mildew resistant therefor it is not safe for aquarium use, any one else?

Reefmaster1996
I used GE I window and door on my 6g. Worked just fine and still holds.

How can I prevent micro bubbles from forming in the silicone, some people seem to be having trouble with this?

Reefmaster1996
How can I prevent micro bubbles from forming in the silicone, some people seem to be having trouble with this?

Bump

Reefmaster1996
Bump

Hey guys, sorry to I have no pics on this thread yet, it's only because there is nothing to take a picture of YET! But soon enough this wont be a boring thread anymore. But in order for this thread to progress I need your opinions on a very important matter. I want to build a sump refugium out of glass with around the same dimensions as the display kind of like this http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...04711&st=20 . In order to save some cash and still build an attractive and state of the art system, I was thinking of building a 26x26x16 sump (max water level= 10-12 inches). Can I use 1/4 inch glass for this completely rimless sump?

Reefmaster1996
Hey guys, sorry to I have no pics on this thread yet, it's only because there is nothing to take a picture of YET! But soon enough this wont be a boring thread anymore. But in order for this thread to progress I need your opinions on a very important matter. I want to build a sump refugium out of glass with around the same dimensions as the display kind of like this http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...04711&st=20 . In order to save some cash and still build an attractive and state of the art system, I was thinking of building a 26x26x16 sump (max water level= 10-12 inches). Can I use 1/4 inch glass for this completely rimless sump?

Bump

Archived