Coral Vue Hydros

Is my tank overstocked?

Alkyne

Hello guys, I came on here to get some opinions from different people about my tank situation. This is my first fish and I was told it's overstocked but I only have one fish, what do you think? Here are some pics...please let me know. He seems happy I guess.

IMG_5082_zpscbdcd8ae.jpg

IMG_5080_zpsb6e1d86c.jpg

IMG_5084_zpsecbe305b.jpg

IMG_5086_zps619784cd.jpg

IMG_5101_zps5d5334ca.jpg

IMG_5092_zpse5a07f03.jpg

That tank is way too small for that angel. Stocking level isn't about number of fish, more the total mass of the fish vs water volume, as in how much water there is to dilute waste and remain a stable environment. Then on top of that, the kind of fish determine how much space they need, active fast swimming/territorial fish need a much bigger tank to be happy even if its small. Please rehome that angel fish, either to someone else or get a much bigger tank.

It's totally fine, you probably have room to add a couple more fish. Maybe a Regal Angel and a Powder Blue Tang. I love what you have done with your aquascape, and my what a beautiful fish!

nanolutionary

I think this is not a good sized tank for that fish. I do believe fish have the cognitive capacity to recognise when they're swimming around in circles like that, it stresses them eventually.

I've head an analogy on here which I feel is perfect for the situation. "It's the equivelent to keeping a great dane in a (small) closet." It would be in the best interest of the fish to take him back to your fish store and find a different species that can live happily in the tank! :)

Huh, well I wanted a Regal angelfish as well since they are my favorite fish. I mean this fish seems happy and has room to swim around. So i didn't think adding one more would be that bad. But my friend told me it's overstocked and to come on here and ask people. The guy at my LFS (vivid) didn't speak very good English and i think he said that it woudl be fine for a tank this size, having two angelfish.

This fish was expensive and i don't wanna just give him away, he eats pellets and stuff too.

What should i do

oh boy. i have a feeling your going get alot of negative comments lol. That thank is way to small for that beautiful fish, you should strongly consider either setting up a new tank in the near future or giving the fish to someone.

It's totally fine, you probably have room to add a couple more fish. Maybe a Regal Angel and a Powder Blue Tang. I love what you have done with your aquascape, and my what a beautiful fish!

is this guy for real? a powder blue?really

yes overstock is your tank a 14g biocube?

You're not overstocked as far as fish goes but you're way undersized on that tank.... A fish that size should be around a 200 gallon tank in my opinion.... And yes yalpal is being retarded with his answer.

No it's a 28 gallon that's why i thought i had enough room cuz it's 1 inch per gallon right

I was being facetious, obviously a Goldflake is not suitable for a 28 gallon tank. Unless it's just temporarily in there for quarantine purposes which is something I would understand.

No it's a 28 gallon that's why i thought i had enough room cuz it's 1 inch per gallon right

The 1" per gallon applies to fresh water fish. Not SW. W-

The 1" per gallon applies to fresh water fish. Not SW. W-

The 1" per gallon rule applies nowhere, it's a old misused made-up generic way of somehow regulating what customers put in their tank. I've heard 5" per gallon for sw etc its all non sense. You can't judge a fish by its length. Body size, behavior, and feeding habits vary greatly. For example, a 6 inch angel is going to require a lot more swimming room than a 6 inch dwarf lion.

Alkyne your tank is far too small. That specific angel needs upwards of 4 feet of swimming room to stay happy and healthy. If you like angels look into replacing it with a Flame or Bicolor. I also have a hard time believing that a reputable shop like Vivid, if you are referring to Vivid Aquariums in CA, recommend this fish for your tank.

Ok ok, I just wanted to see what people would have to say. This fish was quarantined in this tank for only a week and was put in this 180 gallon yesterday. All is well! :)

Sorry if I offended anyone!

IMG_5106_zps6cfa1f3b.jpg

For the temporary sadness you brought me thinking that poor thing was stuck in that cube forever I demand a free frag! LOL...Welcome to N-R

This was me, I knew this would be a fun troll so I just had to do it :P It's my friend's fish and tank too, he has a bunch of beautiful fish and this was just another addition! He's very happy in his new home.

For the temporary sadness you brought me thinking that poor thing was stuck in that cube forever I demand a free frag! LOL...Welcome to N-R

+1

I demand a free frag for my pain and suffering in reading your posts.

Welcome to NR!!! :)

This was me, I knew this would be a fun troll so I just had to do it :P It's my friend's fish and tank too, he has a bunch of beautiful fish and this was just another addition! He's very happy in his new home.

Thanks Sam!

It's my tank and fish. I need to start a tank thread here soon... The original picture was taken while it was in my 28 which was my first tank and is now used for quarantine purposes. He is much happier now that he is in his new home. Got a little beat up by my White Cheek Tang at first but they are all friends now!

post-66885-1351552280_thumb.jpg

post-66885-1351552297_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sam!

It's my tank and fish. I need to start a tank thread here soon... The original picture was taken while it was in my 28 which was my first tank and is now used for quarantine purposes. He is much happier now that he is in his new home. Got a little beat up by my White Cheek Tang at first but they are all friends now!

Haha it was fun while it lasted :D

Jordan you definitely should make a tank thread, you have too many nice fish and corals NOT to!

I've head an analogy on here which I feel is perfect for the situation. "It's the equivelent to keeping a great dane in a (small) closet."

Hey, I said that! lol I'm so smart.

Haha great troll. I knew it was a troll right away seeing as we have a goldflake at my LFS that is labled for 400 dollars and I knew no newbie would buy something like that, but nicely done. ;)

Beautiful reef. Can we have a shot of the angel happy in the new home?

Archived