SaltCritters.com

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Lanthanum chloride is a wonderful thing. :D

It really is. I guess as I go on here week after week and month after month either something bad will happen due to the buildup or not. I kind of suspect not, but who knows.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

It really is. I guess as I go on here week after week and month after month either something bad will happen due to the buildup or not. I kind of suspect not, but who knows.

I've seen a lot of people worry about a buildup of lanthanum in the water, but never seen any damage reports that could be attributed to it.

855.gif

• Like 3

Things are slowly looking better. Every morning it's one drop of PhosphateRx and a small pinch of Reef Roids. The back wall needs scraped again, already. I'm keeping an eye on the little wrasse, he seemed to get a lot of food from the hairy back wall. When I scraped and vacced into the garbage can there were little surface bugs all over the waters surface in the can.

llQ23Ol.jpg?1

• Like 8

Things are slowly looking better. Every morning it's one drop of PhosphateRx and a small pinch of Reef Roids. The back wall needs scraped again, already. I'm keeping an eye on the little wrasse, he seemed to get a lot of food from the hairy back wall. When I scraped and vacced into the garbage can there were little surface bugs all over the waters surface in the can.

llQ23Ol.jpg?1

That looks rather good Mark.

• Like 3
TheKleinReef

llQ23Ol.jpg?1

TOTM. calling it right now.

• Like 3

NO! If nothing else it still has the Razor overhead, the Nanobox won't be here for another week or so. TOTM is not my goal. :)

Of course I appreciate the compliments, but this puppy can look 10 times better if I would spend more than 10 minutes a week on it.

• Like 2

10 minutes a week! That must be the beauty of a mature tank. Good for you. Looks great to me

Thanks!

Some more pics, it's been a while since I posted any of the fish.

b4ji8yt.jpg

Ktp4JkC.jpg

Really hard to get a clear picture of the little guy.

GSMlEQl.jpg

ADg8DYz.jpg

GPxKpKM.jpg

oZeJ4Ie.jpg

Cpv8DeH.jpg

FHgyqiW.jpg

nRSCJG6.jpg

The orange zoas are a bit more invasive than I expected.

lkCFBZh.jpg

• Like 10

Against my better judgement I'm trying acros again, just two of them. Needed to get rid of some frags in the 150.

The Valida. I fragged this when the 150 was crashing, it receded, then stabilized, then tripled in size over 2 months. Very tough coral, hopefully will do well in here.

dgP1EMS.jpg

Tossed the browned Bluegrass frag and added another one. I still have one left, this is another fast growing tough acro. Broke the top off, :)

zPYaW0Q.jpg

The only real problem with this tank right now is Aptasia. You can see one on the left of this Duncan pic. It's rare for all the Duncans to be really happy at the same time.

D5b9lN9.jpg

Look how much algae has grown on the back glass already.

4mivXRf.jpg

• Like 7

D5b9lN9.jpg

Look how much algae has grown on the back glass already.

4mivXRf.jpg

Hey, a totally algae free tank is not an accurate representation of the ocean so you are just trying to be as authentic as possible, right?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The NanoBox Quad has arrived and I quickly hung it up in place of the Razor. Boy what a difference a newer generation of LED's makes. I barely had to do any color correction and no garish purple tinge.

MK8Yrrf.jpg

Look at all the different colors showing up.
KsGv4lU.jpg

• Like 10

Nice! What do you have the lights set on for pictures?

Sorry, I tend to ignore this thread too much. Just daylight, which for me is (gets out phone to look .... )

80% RB

20% white

50% Violet

100% Blue/Cyan

85% Lime

The front BML strip is at 100% blue (RB, Blue) and 20% White (Mix of whites + Blue)

I was thinking of picking up phosphate rx for my 40b since I'm hanging around .3 for phosphate and 0 for nitrate. Is your phosphate still around .02?

My PO4 is un-measurable, more below.

That's looks awesome!

Thanks Sprite!

I just got back in town and to see this! Looking great Mark. :D

Already seeing improvements with the light but I need to figure out the chemistry.

Wow! The lighting really makes things POP :). It looks fantastic!!!! Send me those blastos on the sand please :flower::D.

Those are some easy care blastos, thanks Gena. :)

The tank is looking amazing!

Thanks Dawn.

So I had been adding 1 drop of PhosphateRx daily and this seemed to kill off the cyano but corals faded, so i started feeding Reef Roids every morning at the same time and while things are healthy colors, especially SPS colors, are weak. 2 days ago I put in a couple of drops of Phosphorus to see what happened and things improved markedly over the next 2 days. Grrrr. :D

PO4 = .01 or less (3 on the ULR meter) and nitrates are clear so near 0. I do have CaNO3 including a jug of it I mixed up a long time ago, and then lost the sheet that told me the mixture amount. :D

Obviously I need more fish but I don't want more fish so I need to figure out how to increase nutrients in the tank without polluting the water too much. The skimmer takes literally weeks to fill up so I don't think I'm over skimming, and algae easily grows on all the tank walls even if I scrape it off, so something is available.

The tank is super sealed on top due to my last wrasse jumping so I feel like I really need a skimmer running to help aerate the water. I guess I could lift the cup all the way up so skimming is halted. blah blah blah

The acros I put in are growing, and seem to be growing at normal speed, which is fast for both of these. With Phosphorus added I am seeing some darker brown on both as well, which is a good start. PAR is 250 on both acros which is more than enough, and none of the wimpier corals are showing any light stress so I think everything is dialed in pretty good.

I'll try more food, what's the worst that can happen? One nice thing about a small tank is an almost 100% water change is pretty darn easy.

• Like 4