Cultivated Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

I really like kenya trees. The one in my tank didn't look nearly as good as yours. The spot I had for it just wasn't right. And it didn't seem to play nicely with any of the corals which is why I was so surprised to see yours getting along with the torch! Funny how that LPS is ok but it has issues with the hammer.

That tree is tough. I thought I got rid of it at the end of 2012 and didn't see it for a year but when tearing down the 40 there it was, all clumped up, half under a rock. :) I figured it deserved to live.

I love this tank. I have trouble keeping any of my acans any color BUT orange. Frustrating. Those red ones are really nice. I bumped up the blue in the LEDs hoping that will help.

What kind of goni is that? It is gorgeous! How long have you had it? Looks like a while!!!!

Thanks Stella, I'm going to say 1.5 years, I think. It's pretty old and a strong grower but have no idea if it's a named goni or not. It kind of looks like the ORA but the color isn't quite as vivid.

well, on this page in my old thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313924-marks-40b-and-46-bow/

You can see it when small and this was November 2012 ... good grief, over 3 years old! Now I'm starting to feel old. :D

• Like 3

That tree is tough. I thought I got rid of it at the end of 2012 and didn't see it for a year but when tearing down the 40 there it was, all clumped up, half under a rock. :) I figured it deserved to live.

Thanks Stella, I'm going to say 1.5 years, I think. It's pretty old and a strong grower but have no idea if it's a named goni or not. It kind of looks like the ORA but the color isn't quite as vivid.

well, on this page in my old thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313924-marks-40b-and-46-bow/

You can see it when small and this was November 2012 ... good grief, over 3 years old! Now I'm starting to feel old. :D

Wow nice!!! 3 years is awesome! I kept reading that gonis rarely last past the 12 month mark but yours is definitely a testament that they can survive in captivity! It does look like the ORA one! That's what I thought when I saw it. The color is amazing and what a showpiece it is in your tank.

• Like 1

I have an old purple/brown mushroom that was one of the first corals I ever bought. It's ugly but indestructible, and in spite of my semi-active neglect, and the complete crash of my 4g tank, it has survived. I've had the same thought, it just deserves to live. :)

• Like 2

Scooted some things around to give the newer hammer on the right some more room. That Kenya tree can't stand to be touched and will be shriveled for days. Silly tree.

I tossed the Miami Orchid frag which never fully recovered from the Alk spike months ago. On that rock I put the largest Purple Stylo frag.

XcqcpIu.jpg

Very left of this pic you can see the wrasse and tang hanging out. One follows the other around the tank, strangest pair. Maybe the tang is convinced this is a cleaner wrasse? I need to scrape the back and side BAD but the wrasse loves the worm wall. :D

mtufDD1.jpg

• Like 8

Love how the left side is looking! That goni is awesome! I also can't believe the green color on that nepthea. Mine is pretty neon green, but nothing like yours!

• Like 1

I know there are a ton of variables, but what do you think you're doing right in order to get such great color on your SPS?

You mean everything but the acros? Proper lighting (all LED so a lot of blue, not a lot of white, looks kind of dim to the eye but PAR is 200 - 300), lower nutrients (but not 0), and fairly solid KH. The acropora in here have horrible color due to some nutrient swings. I would say the montis have decent color in here and for them it's pretty easy to do as long as you keep KH as stable as possible.

• Like 1
mystersyster

You mean everything but the acros? Proper lighting (all LED so a lot of blue, not a lot of white, looks kind of dim to the eye but PAR is 200 - 300), lower nutrients (but not 0), and fairly solid KH. The acropora in here have horrible color due to some nutrient swings. I would say the montis have decent color in here and for them it's pretty easy to do as long as you keep KH as stable as possible.

I don't have a reliable test kit for phosphates, but nitrates are always around 0. My dkh is always super stable. ALL of my corals have grown fine, but lose their rich color. My lights are 50/30 for intensity. Maybe I'll try lowering the white. Great looking tank though.

• Like 1

I don't have a reliable test kit for phosphates, but nitrates are always around 0. My dkh is always super stable. ALL of my corals have grown fine, but lose their rich color. My lights are 50/30 for intensity. Maybe I'll try lowering the white. Great looking tank though.

Thanks.

0 Nitrates will remove color for sure. Try a bottle of amino acids, like Acro Power, and just add a little and see if anything improves. Too much might lead to cyano.

My big tank (see signature) is where I worry about color and pay more attention, this tank gets water changes but is otherwise kind of neglected. :)

• Like 2

KH: 7.1

NO3: 0, clear, no color, nada, no bueno

PO4: .03 (10)

I am lowering vinegar in the topoff. It takes a week to use a gallon of topoff so amounts were small to begin with. Low fishload, low nutrients ... maybe my brown acros are actually pale? Not dosing CaNO3 this time around, will try and raise them by feeding a little heavier.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You've got some incredibly rich colors going on.. Love that goni!

Thanks. :)

FTS before vacation. My power fail test on this tank failed, the HOB fuge pump did nto start back up which would be fairly disastrous for the SPS since I dose in the fuge. Will soak and clean tomorrow and hope for the best.

4SLDhTD.jpg

• Like 9
Christopher Marks

It's really coming together Mark, I love the splashes of neon colors all throughout the aquascape. That green leather coral is really something, I'm always a sucker for them, they add such a unique element.

Have a good vacation!

• Like 6

Scooted some things around to give the newer hammer on the right some more room. That Kenya tree can't stand to be touched and will be shriveled for days. Silly tree.

I tossed the Miami Orchid frag which never fully recovered from the Alk spike months ago. On that rock I put the largest Purple Stylo frag.

XcqcpIu.jpg

Very left of this pic you can see the wrasse and tang hanging out. One follows the other around the tank, strangest pair. Maybe the tang is convinced this is a cleaner wrasse? I need to scrape the back and side BAD but the wrasse loves the worm wall. :D

mtufDD1.jpg

:wub: WOW!!!!!!

• Like 2

It's really coming together Mark, I love the splashes of neon colors all throughout the aquascape. That green leather coral is really something, I'm always a sucker for them, they add such a unique element.

Have a good vacation!

Thanks! :)

I wish my 40 had this much variance lol.

:wub: WOW!!!!!!

Thanks!

Back from vacation and no failures so the tank is doing ok but will require the most maintenance tomorrow to clean out some of the cyano and my special wall algae. All fishes and corals alive and color is quite good except for the acros which are brown brown brown. :D

1hUJ2HC.jpg

I believe the Duncans are sensitive to temps above 80 and while I was gone this tank regularly hit 81 in the late afternoon. I think It will stay cooler now that we're home and the AC is running more.

• Like 5

Glad that the tank did ok during your vacation. That is a relief to all us reefers when we return. And I totally understand about the extra maintenance upon your return. Both my tanks are in need of that as well.

Its good to have you back and I hope you are renewed and refreshed from being away!

• Like 1

Glad that the tank did ok during your vacation. That is a relief to all us reefers when we return. And I totally understand about the extra maintenance upon your return. Both my tanks are in need of that as well.

Its good to have you back and I hope you are renewed and refreshed from being away!

Thanks Dawn. I did a 5 gallon water change and blew / sucked out most of the cyano and algae, plus cleaned the MP10 wet side which was a mess.

KH holding at 7.1 which is amazing rock solid from the 7.1 I measured 2 weeks ago.

• Like 2

This tank just keeps looking better Mark- what do you think browned out the acros? Build up of po4?

I wish I knew because they are still brown. I get 0's for PO4 and NO3 so I suspect it's just an imbalance plus maybe the wrong light spectrum with the LED's I have. Doing a slow cleanup of the tank over the next week and will see if I can at least get the slimer to green up.

The montis look fantastic so I hesitate to change much.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Tanks looks horrid, red cyano everywhere. No nitrates, PO4 was 7 on the ULR. I have increased feeding and added flake to the mix.

mystersyster

Tanks looks horrid, red cyano everywhere. No nitrates, PO4 was 7 on the ULR. I have increased feeding and added flake to the mix.

I can't shake the cyano in my tank. Keeps coming back gradually. I'm on the edge, about that blast it with Red Slime remover...

• Like 1

Oh boy

I know.

I can't shake the cyano in my tank. Keeps coming back gradually. I'm on the edge, about that blast it with Red Slime remover...

I've done that, it worked but nitrates will spike as they are released. It comes back though due to the tank imbalance. I think, ironically, feeding more is the answer. Corals and fish doing fine, some unhappy due to ultra low nutrients but nothing horrible.

mystersyster

I know.

I've done that, it worked but nitrates will spike as they are released. It comes back though due to the tank imbalance. I think, ironically, feeding more is the answer. Corals and fish doing fine, some unhappy due to ultra low nutrients but nothing horrible.

Feeding so that we contribute more to our "beneficial" bacteria than the cyano? That sounds reasonable. I hardly feed the tank at all since it's fallow right now.

• Like 1