Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Thanks Gena. :D

The gold torch was 2 hours late thanks to fedex but it arrived, a little cool, but looks like it survived.

8dhmqEa.jpg

I kept the good lens on the camera, golly what a good idea.

CCcGFGY.jpg

0iwh2DB.jpg

E2OFm8I.jpg

21T9ch9.jpg

This Cristata is shockingly good looking.

xtx5MgZ.jpg

Yellow centered blastos continue to recover.

sNNG2AX.jpg

And these guys, a $15 frag I bought because when I see red blastos I buy them on the spot ... really starting to respond well to the heavy feeding I've been doing in here. Too much light and they cower and start to fade so I keep them in the shadow of the friendly Duncans.

Iso8nj2.jpg

FTS. Check out how much healthier the Toxic Hammer (upper right) is looking. Why? Pffft.

7GyNgS4.jpg

I approve of continued use of the good lens, the results speak for themselves.

Back when I first started researching nano tanks, citron goby was #1 on my list until I found out it could bother corals. But I still want one :)

• Like 3

I approve of continued use of the good lens, the results speak for themselves.

Back when I first started researching nano tanks, citron goby was #1 on my list until I found out it could bother corals. But I still want one :)

The little punk will sit IN the goni and the goni doesn't retract so he just floats on the polyps. Craziest thing I've ever seen but of course he moves if I get a camera near.

I was worried he wasn't eating enough but I fed some Prime Reef flakes and counted 10 eaten before he stopped. He's also stared down both the basslet and blenny so i think he's settled in.

• Like 3

The little punk will sit IN the goni and the goni doesn't retract so he just floats on the polyps. Craziest thing I've ever seen but of course he moves if I get a camera near.

I was worried he wasn't eating enough but I fed some Prime Reef flakes and counted 10 eaten before he stopped. He's also stared down both the basslet and blenny so i think he's settled in.

That's great!

I had a black clown goby for a while. I loved him but he'd just sit around and hump the acans all the time. I finally had to take him in to the LFS because the acans were dying from all the love. I wish mine had learned not to retract when he sat on them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you just send those yellow center blastos to me? They would look great in my collection :D.

I really need to find more unique blastos like those!

Those yellow centered Blastos are persnickety, happy one day and unhappy the next. Still trying to figure out exactly what they like. :)

--

I lost the Gold torch, it withered away then started to decay ... PEEE UUUU. Not sure if I'll try again or not.

Too some rare topdowns of this tank.

The bird looks incredible from the top.

EOx1x4Y.jpg

J5x2ese.jpg

UJeGCbB.jpg

vmEtQrb.jpg

ndHVSMm.jpg

th4rCyI.jpg

YGW9mfk.jpg

J19eT71.jpg

e3jLOcz.jpg

xCalM9X.jpg

• Like 10

So I moved a few things around in here, including breaking off the original Red Acan frag to save it, which was a success. Got my hands out of the water, dried them off with a paper towel, and the towel turned a rich brown. :o Ahem.

25% water change with AF Reef Salt, including removing another decent amount of sand from the front. I'm not sure what the icky brown was but I can't see any issues with either the corals or the fish. I've never seen this before ...brown in the water column? Replaced carbon but I am loath to use too much so I'll run a small amount for a few days and then replace, doing this for a week or so until I don't pull back turd hands. :D

Used the Nanobox Photo mode to take these so some corals a little closed up.

iUMoQBR.jpg

Acans are torn, they had significantly overgrown the original frag piece, but they look healthy.

jd7lEOd.jpg

Yellow blastos are going to be darn hard to frag ... so tiny! I need to get these healthy and growing again.

KpLXFi9.jpg

• Like 4

How do you like the 40b? As always im considering a smaller tank and a larger one lol, the larger on i like the idea of a custom 48x30x18 but the smaller one i dont have a clue, thoughts on it?

• Like 1

How do you like the 40b? As always im considering a smaller tank and a larger one lol, the larger on i like the idea of a custom 48x30x18 but the smaller one i dont have a clue, thoughts on it?

For this size tank I would rather have wider (front to back). I would like my big tank to be wider as well but there's no way to fit a 24" tank in any of our doors to the basement, sadly enough. In a smaller tank that's only 18" high you could at least turn it sideways. :)

I have never heard of the water turning your hands brown like you discribed. What do you think it is? A by product from something?

Hi Dawn,

I don't know what it is other than algae or a tank so full of detritus that it polluted the water column. I've backed off feeding a little but Alk usage tells me things are healthy and growing. Maybe the urchin spawned?

• Like 1

This tank is doing quite well and colors do look better after a water change, though the water will still stain a paper towel brown. It smells like algae so I suspect it is. I have noticed less growing on the tank walls so perhaps it's a slow dieoff or something. /shrug

moEE9Ce.jpg

When choosing fish for an aquarium it's important to get those who get along, like these two love birds.

lXoQekH.jpg

• Like 7

Tanks is looking fantastic, Alk is at ... uh, 6.3! Once again proving too low takes a while to harm corals where a spike can kill them quickly.

SSrbTqk.jpg

HqCyskc.jpg

ENi2H8v.jpg

1onyT4t.jpg

WBcQQuE.jpg

6I81Pkd.jpg

daWJWly.jpg

• Like 7

You really seem to have the magic recipe, this tank looks awesome too! Ha ha, I love the pic of the black cap basselet giving it to the yellow tang, what a shot!

• Like 1

Things are going well, even though Alk dropped to 6.1 not once but twice. A few things I forgot to mention.

The gold torch did not make it. It retracted and then the brown death gel appeared. Boy did it stink when I pulled it out since it was obviously dead and disintegrating. Not sure if I'll try another or not.

The brown water stains ended up being surface film, probably reef roids still floating on the water. I used a paper towel, a few of them, to help clean the scum and will probably have to do this on a regular basis. I don't have any surface skimmer box or contraptions that fit the current equipment.

I have turned down the BML strips to very low, just some slight supplement, because I think they are contributing to color loss and I'm not sure why. Both here and in the big tank. It's either the blue or violet channel that's doing it, maybe some poor quality LED's?

Pics.

8k7OSzI.jpg

fsnXMar.jpg

These are finally starting to show some real recovery and growth. I have no idea how I'd frag them.

QZs3Ozu.jpg

I keep thinking I lost the Blenny but this new guy just likes to hide, almost constantly. The previous Blenny would not tolerate anything getting close to his hole and would rip apart these green shrooms.

7tACEZj.jpg

• Like 5

To answer a PM I figured out how to take a screenshot on my phone. :D This is the quad settings, RB and Violet channel at the same intensities. I love the way this looks, especially how clean it looks using Lime instead of the white channel to provide the majority of peak lighting.

3amhgJv.png?1

• Like 1

Thanks Lalani. So you are going to update your 20l thread soon? :D

Uhhhhhhh..... maybe?

I dunno, its still ugly but getting prettier. I added another st tommy, that's about all that's new. I might. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Still going ... :) Let the KH drop a little too low again. I've upped the Kalk to saturated but evaporation is so low I have to manually dose, which nothing seems to mind.

I have not cleaned the back wall yet it stays clean. Why? :D As you can see it's time to suck up some more green sand as I very slowly remove most of it.

Tt6FTck.jpg

These guys are finally happy on a regular basis, but I had to dim the front BML fixture to almost nothing to get them to improve. Nothing is bothered by the Nanobox but turn the BML strips up a bit too high and bam, unhappy.

T7RCdIv.jpg

The orchid stylo looks completely different from how it looks in the 150, and I think for the better. Look at the color saturation on the caps as well.

s3fn0tE.jpg

• Like 4