SaltCritters.com

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Yea, for fuzzy corals you really want to go with outstanding polyp color and figure any coloration of the skin is just an added bonus.

So I did another big clean job of this tank tonight, 15 gallon water change with heated water, and I scraped the back wall. So yea, I will occasionally do manual labor, but then there's no chance of getting knifed by a tang or poked by a rabbit fish in this tank. :)

So I scraped, then spent 15 minutes netting out all the floating algae, then sucked up more, then scraped, then netted out more, then sucked out more, and finally refilled. Cleaned MP10, cleaned WP10 and the effing plastic washer piece on the basket fell into the sink and down the drain. Fortunately I have a second WP10 so I replaced it.

Water still hazy from all the work.

b6ggWw.jpg

Angled shots on my 150 are horrid, but with the thin glass in here they aren't bad at all, plus the color of the teal trumpets shows up better from the top.

7xZ2hT.jpg

I think both my "pink" birdsnests are duds, so I'm also on the lookout for new ones.

Blue Clove polyps are invasive ... good for this tank.

itULMn.jpg

The slimer lives and is encrusting some, even though the clown goby humps it every 5 minutes.

DwbyXV.jpg

... old man has to take some ibuprofen, arm hurts from all the scraping. :)

• Like 7

Thanks! I may see if the LFS can get one when I get done with travel over the next month.

Just so you know. I had to move the shell the Blenny was using because he was trying to kill all the corals next to it. Both the Alveopora and the left half of the duncans. The little punk would drop rocks on them and then pick at the polyps. Plan ahead. :)

Got some brown fuzz algae here and there but things are slowly looking better. KH at 9.0, down from 10.0 after the last water change.

Took the big brown/pink bird back to the LFS, mounted the Orchid Stylo in it's place.

Moved a maricultured acro hat is not doing well into this tank to either die or recover. Looking for another coral to replace the bird up on the left. I might take a frag of my purple poci and put it up there.

wjmN4u.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Orchid stylophora

D4pWrT.jpg

Slimer is doing ok, encrusting like mad. I think it's happier now that the goby has another acro to hump.

Cc32ht.jpg

FTS. The brown algae is coming back quickly and I'm afraid what this will look like after leaving the tank for a week. :D

Y4MiDl.jpg

• Like 8

I know this is a difficult request, but I'd love to see more photos of your pygmy wrasse :). Do you still have it?

Hi Gena,

he hates the camera but I'll try. :) If you have a chance to get one I highly recommend it, really full of personality.

I know this is a difficult request, but I'd love to see more photos of your pygmy wrasse :). Do you still have it?

Had to use the flash, but I got two ok pics. Silly little fish.

rIEe8O.jpg

ZzQhRa.jpg

These two have been clowning around since I first put them in the 20 long.

VHiB78.jpg

Didn't want to leave the Basslet out.

PmBSNV.jpg

• Like 4

That's is such a cool looking fish :wub:. Thanks for the photos!!!!!!!

I have a question for you. I know you've changed the heads on your bubble magus dosing pump. How did you know it was time?

Did it start making noise, or just completely stop working? Mine was making a squeaky noise yesterday, but today it stopped. However it still

sounds a little rougher than before...not quite as smooth when dosing. It's just my ALK side which I have it scheduled

to dose every hour. Makes sense that it would be the first to have trouble. I went ahead and bought a replacement head

and should have it this week.

• Like 1

That's is such a cool looking fish :wub:. Thanks for the photos!!!!!!!

I have a question for you. I know you've changed the heads on your bubble magus dosing pump. How did you know it was time?

Did it start making noise, or just completely stop working? Mine was making a squeaky noise yesterday, but today it stopped. However it still

sounds a little rougher than before...not quite as smooth when dosing. It's just my ALK side which I have it scheduled

to dose every hour. Makes sense that it would be the first to have trouble. I went ahead and bought a replacement head

and should have it this week.

My calcium doser is starting to squeak but it has been for months now.

The heads are very simple, but it's always good to have a spare. Once replaced take apart your old head and you'll probably find something rubbing or wearing which is causing the squeak. This is a head I used for my topoff that locked up without ever squeaking. You can see the bits of plastic on the hose. In my opinion this can be fixed by lubricating with something that won't eat through silicone, unfortunately I don't know the exact product to use. Maybe someone with more experience would know?

Besides locking up, a head with a bad roller can pull one side of the hose up to the crimped part and tear a hole in it. I've had that happen and it was a mess when I discovered it days later.

rOPfDG.jpg

• Like 1

My calcium doser is starting to squeak but it has been for months now.

The heads are very simple, but it's always good to have a spare. Once replaced take apart your old head and you'll probably find something rubbing or wearing which is causing the squeak. This is a head I used for my topoff that locked up without ever squeaking. You can see the bits of plastic on the hose. In my opinion this can be fixed by lubricating with something that won't eat through silicone, unfortunately I don't know the exact product to use. Maybe someone with more experience would know?

Besides locking up, a head with a bad roller can pull one side of the hose up to the crimped part and tear a hole in it. I've had that happen and it was a mess when I discovered it days later.

rOPfDG.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I'm wondering if I should just plan to replace that one every 6 months or so. I can't

remember when I set the doser up. I'll have to look into it. I'll just be sure to keep a close eye on it now that I

know it's wearing out. It hasn't been squeaky today at all...or not when I've been around anyways. I'll have to check

at 6pm...the next time it's set to go off :).

Hopefully it will be a piece of cake to replace it. Doesn't sound like it will be that difficult. Wish the part was

half the price I paid for it. That's going to add up....like everything else LOL.

• Like 1

FTS of what I see now that I'm home. :)

0o2qcd.jpg

Looks kind of cool, and enclosed, with all the algae. :D

SO if this was my only tank I'd be freaking out, but as it stands I'm simply curious as to why I have so much algae growth when I do regular 20% water changes. I must be over feeding, os something is leaching. Meh, maybe I'll slowly replace all the rocks. Maybe.

So here's that Maricultured acro I moved in here. The worst looking branch has an amazing blue/purple color now. Shows how much I know about acros. It still looks horrible, look at all the skin issues around the purple area and over on other branches. Flashlight reveals no consistent damage, no bite marks, etc.

SFOCbu.jpg

The orchid stylo looks to be bleaching so I dimmed these infernal LED's a bit more, now running 70%W, 72%B.

GfaUhE.jpg

• Like 3

The second WP10 I purchased died. It was in this tank. Looks like the motor shorted out because I can't get any turning. Replaced it with my first WP10 which is a little noisy. I have to say these little WP10's are not well made, I've had numerous minor (until now) issues that I did not have with the WP25's.

Added some ROX carbon and Phosguard after water change.

FTS

wqe66u.jpg

Colors are doing quite well, especially on the 2 acros I moved in here. KH after 10 days is 9.8, so by some miracle the Kalk is able to hold the KH.

After almost nuking my 150 I had a few tiny accidental frags that I mounted and put in here. Going from 8KH to nearly 10KH did not seem to bother anything I've put in here so far.

Blue Tip Acro

NGXhKM.jpg

UC Rainbow Milli

RqLtCP.jpg

The maricultured acro continues to slowly turn blue.

JD9Spf.jpg

• Like 6

How's your orchid stylo doing? That maricultured Acro is looking promising for sure

Orchid is doing ok, and growing, but appears bleached. I'm reminded why I dislike LED. I turned down the whites a tad but honestly this might be its true colors. The slimer is such an intense green under LED I am reminded why I liked LED. :D

• Like 3

Here's the Orchid Stylo, looking pretty good and rapidly encrusting down.

hUadCq.jpg

At the same time the green birdsnest looks very pale.

5AwmED.jpg

The maricultured acro is getting blue/green coloration on the base.

Sasezy.jpg

My superman shrooms making a comeback.

xfOPwc.jpg

I never take pictures of my very first coral, a Kenya Tree, so what the heck. This was in my old 40 breeder, I thought I had eliminated it, but when I tore down the tank there it was, hiding behind a rock.

JI1zJw.jpg

This is what I have to put up with. Guess they are called clown gobies for a reason. :D

CVF2uA.jpg

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...