Pod Your Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

You could, but that would make all the gunk on the back class that much more visible... my next tank will definitely be a peninsula and I'm going to scrape all my glass clean regularly. I also like the clean look you get with a white/light blue background a lot more than the effect of a black background. Makes the tank look smaller imo

Well the roll is double sided, black and blue. :)

• Like 1

I tried the blue, didn't like it, so I went with black and then scraped the remaining algae off the back glass. I don't mind the coraline.

2hFiEh.jpg

If you look close you'll see Lenny the Blenny is not going to give Herman that shell.

I measured PAR and was around 180 up top so I increased the whites, now running 75%W, 85%B. I do not miss LED's at all.

• Like 4

I tried the blue, didn't like it, so I went with black and then scraped the remaining algae off the back glass. I don't mind the coraline.

2hFiEh.jpg

If you look close you'll see Lenny the Blenny is not going to give Herman that shell.

I measured PAR and was around 180 up top so I increased the whites, now running 75%W, 85%B. I do not miss LED's at all.

Mark,

Been following your threads for a while now and just have to say that I think both of your tanks are beautiful. I hope to one day have one as nice as these.

• Like 1

Mark,

Been following your threads for a while now and just have to say that I think both of your tanks are beautiful. I hope to one day have one as nice as these.

Thanks! I bet you can do a lot better, just checked out your thread and it sounds like you're in it for the corals. Great place to start! One small fish might be good for some kind of food, but I understand where you're coming from. :)

• Like 1

Back home after a couple of days away. Both thin stripe hermits died. I am shocked and confused.

I had been dosing iodine to push the xenia along so I have to thing I overdosed a bit and caused a bad molt.

All other hermits, 5 red and a Halloween, appear to be healthy. Hmph.

O man Mark, sorry about the hermits. Reading this causes me to use more caution with iodine. I was just ready to increase how much I dosed iodine because of the new skimmer. I do big WCs so maybe I'll rely on that to be the primary source of iodine and only dose once a month. I have lots of hermits and shrimp that I don't want to suffer.

• Like 1

Alk 10.5 today so the topoff with super saturated Kalk is maintaining it above 10.

Birdsnests have settled in and are already growing.

The crazy bird really seems to like the high Alk.

B2tkNc.jpg

This one has the same issue it had in the 150 ... brown.

Xp4dkO.jpg

And the big pinkish one that has been in here the longest has green tips but the overall color is bleh.

Sq7TNU.jpg

Ponape looking good, but not nearly as good as it gets under T5s.

WSTTES.jpg

Green bird looking good, growing well, as expected. Anything with colored polyps looks better under LED's in my experience.

PDYnIV.jpg

The slimer piece is doing as well as can be expected with the punk in the tank.

uO3GDu.jpg

Mostly dead Pipe organ seems to like its new partially shaded spot.

1vXJTg.jpg

This guy and the Blenny have been at odds over that big shell since it's near one of the entrances to his home. Their fights consist of angry stares, the Blenny circling the Basslet, and the Basslet opening it's mouth wide.

JXOwPn.jpg

LGCVld.jpg

wVeuzH.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark, I thought I was following both your tank threads but I guess not since I just spent the last few minutes getting caught up :)

I really like this tank - the fishy personalities are great, and the new birdsnests really added some nice contrasting texture and color.

I've been considering a tailspot blenny for my 10g tank - what do you think?

• Like 1

Mark, I thought I was following both your tank threads but I guess not since I just spent the last few minutes getting caught up :)

I really like this tank - the fishy personalities are great, and the new birdsnests really added some nice contrasting texture and color.

I've been considering a tailspot blenny for my 10g tank - what do you think?

I think the tailspot would do great, just watch out for the pumps! Mine has 3 homes now, 2 rock holes that he has cleaned out and now the big snail shell. They will go into any hole to investigate, which is why you have to be extremely careful when the pumps are off.

• Like 1

I think the tailspot would do great, just watch out for the pumps! Mine has 3 homes now, 2 rock holes that he has cleaned out and now the big snail shell. They will go into any hole to investigate, which is why you have to be extremely careful when the pumps are off.

I want one of them so bad i need to talk to the lfs and see if they can get me one.

Also what cam are you using for your pics and videos.

I want one of them so bad i need to talk to the lfs and see if they can get me one.

Also what cam are you using for your pics and videos.

Nikon D3100 SLR. Proof that what makes a quality picture is not the camera but the person behind the camera. I still can't take good pics! :D

• Like 1

Nikon D3100 SLR. Proof that what makes a quality picture is not the camera but the person behind the camera. I still can't take good pics! :D

I have the same cam and i cant take a pic worth a crap.

• Like 2

Thanks! I may see if the LFS can get one when I get done with travel over the next month.

• Like 1

I would save up for a real lens, not an attachment. I nice fixed format (I forget the proper name for these) lens works well, like a 30 or 40mm fixed lens. I have a 50mm fixed which ends up being 70mm on these cameras, so way too much magnification for my taste. You can really see a difference in the photos when taking pictures with quality glass.

This is the one I want to get next.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-8G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424188153&sr=1-10&keywords=nikon+30mm+lens

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Fixed focal length = Prime :)

I use the kit 18-55mm lens on my Canon T2i, and I'd actually like it to be a bit longer than that to be able to get more of a particular coral/whatever in frame without having to crop.

And I agree, don't waste your money on those kits like that. Won't really get you anywhere with taking reef photos.

• Like 1

Well i will have to look back on those instructions you gave me a while back and try again. The problem im having is using that program to edit the pictures after i take them.

• Like 1

KH 9.7 yesterday evening, not too bad. I don't keep an accurate accounting of KH but I suspect it slowly varied from 10.5 down to 9.5 between water changes.

Lots of nice Birdsnest in there- have you ever tried the ORA- bird of paradise ? I have my eye out for one- we have Reefstock this weekend- a pretty good show - lots of frags and raffles

• Like 1

Lots of nice Birdsnest in there- have you ever tried the ORA- bird of paradise ? I have my eye out for one- we have Reefstock this weekend- a pretty good show - lots of frags and raffles

I have one in my 150 I'm thinking of fragging a piece off of. I've never really liked it. Looks great when advertised but the fact is, if it's happy all you can see is purple polyps, which give it a purple brown appearance from a distance. You can occasionally get a glimpse of the green skin, but not often. My purple poci in the 150 is much more colorful and also has green skin, though you rarely see it for the same reason. :)

I've been surfing for all the different varieties of birds and the selection seems endless, with people lucking out on a wild frag that ends up being something incredible.

My google image search. https://www.google.com/search?q=seriatopora&num=50&sa=X&es_sm=122&biw=1380&bih=897&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=huzkVIIWwcaxBJ73gYAD&ved=0CB8QsAQ

• Like 1

I have one in my 150 I'm thinking of fragging a piece off of. I've never really liked it. Looks great when advertised but the fact is, if it's happy all you can see is purple polyps, which give it a purple brown appearance from a distance. You can occasionally get a glimpse of the green skin, but not often. My purple poci in the 150 is much more colorful and also has green skin, though you rarely see it for the same reason. :)

I've been surfing for all the different varieties of birds and the selection seems endless, with people lucking out on a wild frag that ends up being something incredible.

My google image search. https://www.google.com/search?q=seriatopora&num=50&sa=X&es_sm=122&biw=1380&bih=897&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=huzkVIIWwcaxBJ73gYAD&ved=0CB8QsAQ

Ya- the pictures make it look incredible - is yours the coral under your red cap on the left side? Funny , your search shows a Bird of paradise which shows brown polyps- ORA's picture makes it look like a must have showing the yellow skin- now Ya got me rethinking?. I really like the "rainbow stylo's " or "bug out " too- tell me those look good in person ?
  • Like 1
NorthGaHillbilly

My BOP is the same way, only looks good if I flip the blues on after dark, then polyps are in and the green skin really pops, otherwise the polyps completely block it out

• Like 2

My BOP is the same way, only looks good if I flip the blues on after dark, then polyps are in and the green skin really pops, otherwise the polyps completely block it out

Man- just when I thought I had my next coral you guys throw me a curve ball ?

• Like 1