ReefCleaners.org

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Box arrived and passed initial inspection.

v6Vm8m.jpg

My pretties.

ciq57Y.jpg

The Green Nepthea is green. I mean green! I've wanted one of these for a long time.

NhGdJg.jpg

Looks like I got some Xenia or something else similar on the rock. :)

When I used Berghia in my old 40 I did not read the instructions and randomly placed the nudis all over the tank. It was 2 or 3 months before I started noticing a difference. This time I picked a small hole in the rock, near and aptasia, to place all 5 nudis. I expect it may be weeks still before I start to notice anything.

Last pic.

tbEBRJ.jpg

• Like 4

That is a nice looking frag- but bummer if that's Xenia -unless your wanting them- I finally got mine under control for the moment. I'll be interested to see how the nudi's do for ya- I wasn't aware that they eat Aiptasia - awesome

• Like 1

That is a nice looking frag- but bummer if that's Xenia -unless your wanting them- I finally got mine under control for the moment. I'll be interested to see how the nudi's do for ya- I wasn't aware that they eat Aiptasia - awesome

I have Pom Pom Xenia (smaller, white/pink) in here already. This appears to be the standard larger variety but I'll let it grow up a bit to see. I like invasive corals in this tank, as long as they are individually small like the pom pom. Large Xenia I'll scrape off, and that damn Blue Cespitularia ... peaceful my ass. It gets BIG and fast, and attacked corals around it by sticking specialized polyps to their surface. The Xenia tends to only reach for bare spots, I've never seen it reach out and stick to a live coral.

• Like 1

I have Pom Pom Xenia (smaller, white/pink) in here already. This appears to be the standard larger variety but I'll let it grow up a bit to see. I like invasive corals in this tank, as long as they are individually small like the pom pom. Large Xenia I'll scrape off, and that damn Blue Cespitularia ... peaceful my ass. It gets BIG and fast, and attacked corals around it by sticking specialized polyps to their surface. The Xenia tends to only reach for bare spots, I've never seen it reach out and stick to a live coral.

Ya my Xenia was growing and over taking bare rock areas and then started to touch my purple stylo- they actually seemed to get along- the Stylo didn't retract - which surprised me. The Xenai started to grow away from it. I had a mushroom touch the Stylo also and it burned it pretty bad- no more mushroom now- not having that.

• Like 1

Ya my Xenia was growing and over taking bare rock areas and then started to touch my purple stylo- they actually seemed to get along- the Stylo didn't retract - which surprised me. The Xenai started to grow away from it. I had a mushroom touch the Stylo also and it burned it pretty bad- no more mushroom now- not having that.

It's interesting who wins. So far my purple stylo has killed anything it wanted to kill. Palys, blue clove polyps, Montipora undata. Shrooms can be extremely deadly though, which I find completely backwards from what I expected.

• Like 1

New FTS with the frag rack up and out of the way. First cleaning done. The amount of bubble algae taken off the surface skimmer box had to set some kind of record. The utility tub was full of bubble algae. :) Also took a dental pic and cleaned and removed a lot of bubble algae while doing a 25% water change to catch it all. Lots and lots more work to do!

Added 2 new things. A big rock of gold striped polyps ... that refuse to open, and green centered trumpets, or trumpet like corals. One of those cheap frags in bad shape that will hopefully recover.

gKbx6M.jpg

• Like 3

Where did you get the nepthea, anyway?

I got mine from the same place the sells the Berghia, SaltyUnderground in St Louis.

Lots of aptasia babies for the nudis to eat on the left side and in back. Blue Cloves have also started to grow on the sides and back and I'm kind of curious if I can get them to carpet the tank walls. :)

• Like 1

I got mine from the same place the sells the Berghia, SaltyUnderground in St Louis.

Lots of aptasia babies for the nudis to eat on the left side and in back. Blue Cloves have also started to grow on the sides and back and I'm kind of curious if I can get them to carpet the tank walls. :)

could get a real shag carpet retro effect going on in the tank haha.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I'll definitely keep them in mind next time I order some coral, that green is intense.

• Like 1

I'll definitely keep them in mind next time I order some coral, that green is intense.

It glows, on that note, my lfs has some neon green cabbage I havn't seen a cabbage that green ever. I think it was PCE that had some I may have to order now as my lfs is keeping it in their growout.

• Like 1

My understanding is cabbage really pollutes the water and makes it hard to grow other corals. One of the worst leathers for that.

I'll probably try it someday, once the montis are moved out ... if they are ever moved out.

It glows, on that note, my lfs has some neon green cabbage I havn't seen a cabbage that green ever. I think it was PCE that had some I may have to order now as my lfs is keeping it in their growout.

NorthGaHillbilly

Theres a guy here in atlanta with a big colony that lets go of frags every couple of months, all his pics are always so crappy it never really tickled my fancy. Im going to have to get a frag next time he puts some up.

• Like 3

My understanding is cabbage really pollutes the water and makes it hard to grow other corals. One of the worst leathers for that.

I'll probably try it someday, once the montis are moved out ... if they are ever moved out.

My nepthea I am sure pollutes my water like mad, I got some nasty coral warfare going on and have to change carbon out rather frequently. The day after a change you can always see it was needed as all the softies will have nicer PE and slough off the slime that they were collecting. My nepthea is about 4-6 inches though and a lot bigger than my other softies right now.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

My nepthea I am sure pollutes my water like mad, I got some nasty coral warfare going on and have to change carbon out rather frequently. The day after a change you can always see it was needed as all the softies will have nicer PE and slough off the slime that they were collecting. My nepthea is about 4-6 inches though and a lot bigger than my other softies right now.

That's why I only trust ROX carbon :)

• Like 2
NorthGaHillbilly

Im setting up a secondary 10 gallon tank for that very reason, to house the corals I wouldnt feel comfrotable with in my main tank, but still want. I really like alot of softies, mushrooms, polyps, but I wont want em taking over

• Like 2

Im setting up a secondary 10 gallon tank for that very reason, to house the corals I wouldnt feel comfrotable with in my main tank, but still want. I really like alot of softies, mushrooms, polyps, but I wont want em taking over

That is what I call my junk tank. I have a wonderful one, only algae is on the hob and now my urchin. It is great having a stress free tank, change the water and feed the fish. Mine is a 38 gallon.

• Like 2

I need to get one of those leathers. Really nice green coloration... would probably do great in my tank since most of the softies I have are super happy

• Like 1

I need to get one of those leathers. Really nice green coloration... would probably do great in my tank since most of the softies I have are super happy

Softy coral fans will be quick to correct you that it is "THE" soft coral, for some reason they are quite fond of their neptheas. The palau obv has appeal but I don't understand some of the others lol.