Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bello's 47 Gallon Drop Off Reef

Bello

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! Hopefully my photography skills will also improve, but I'm not too optimistic about that :D

Cool tank Bello,

Which Zeovit product(s) are you using?

Thanks Christine :D

I liked the idea of having systems setup differently. So this is a plain old chaeto and skimmer filtered system. The purpose of this tank is to be a psuedo QT system for the Zeo tank.

On my proper zeo system, I'm just using the basics, plus BM, SP and CS (battling cyano!!!).

Waiting for FWS and CB to be delivered, seems to be good!

Thanks Christine :D

I liked the idea of having systems setup differently. So this is a plain old chaeto and skimmer filtered system. The purpose of this tank is to be a psuedo QT system for the Zeo tank.

On my proper zeo system, I'm just using the basics, plus BM, SP and CS (battling cyano!!!).

Waiting for FWS and CB to be delivered, seems to be good!

Are you doing full zeo? I could be mistaken, I thought SP will feed cyano.

Are you using BAC as well or just the BM with CS?

FWS and CB are good dosed together as you likely know already. I mix the two 1:1 and then add to tank. FWS will not prevent AEFW's from eating coral, it does however, strengthen the coral tissue and improve slime coat. See my thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=303005.

I've been running full Zeo for the last couple years but never more than the basics, and never till ULNS. But that's the plan now :D

Been using SP also for a long time. Didn't really have cyano problems till I slacked off with the old zeo tank. I don't believe it adds to the cyano issue.

For that matter, I'm not seeing much success with the BAC/BM/CS combo either. My "plan" at the moment is to get to ULNS, and hopefully "in theory" that would help in eliminating the cyano. Will add to Albert's cyano thread if I achieve some level of success. I remember reading your post on that thread. Any further tips on the cyano? Were you able to eliminate it completely? I'm pretty sure I also OD'ed on Start3 in the process. I'm guessing that since the tank is not even 2 months old, it will take time.

Thanks for the link! If it helps with SPS health, its definitely worth a try. :D

Never had cyanobacteria. So I can't say first had how to deal with it. Seems you just have to wait it out while doing what your doing. If you get ULNS you theoretically should starve it out. I would stop dosing anything "Food related" that includes SP, CB, AAHC, AALPS, etc...

Really Nice Tank!

Thanks, love the CBB in your avatar. How's it doing?

Never had cyanobacteria. So I can't say first had how to deal with it. Seems you just have to wait it out while doing what your doing. If you get ULNS you theoretically should starve it out. I would stop dosing anything "Food related" that includes SP, CB, AAHC, AALPS, etc...

I could stop SP for a while, and observe. Don't see any harm with trying it out. Not dosing any AA's or food or anything. Hopefully, as you've said, I should be able to starve it out. Let's see how this works.

Thanks!

I could stop SP for a while, and observe. Don't see any harm with trying it out. Not dosing any AA's or food or anything. Hopefully, as you've said, I should be able to starve it out. Let's see how this works.

Thanks!

It may not be so easy to starve it out, but it will definitely help, cyanobacteria is photosynthetic. I am not convinced "SP" is beneficial to SPS, I do know my sponge population is crazy for it. Aiptasia love it too. I dose SP once a week, sometimes twice a week now, I used to dose it 3-4 times a week.

I would still stop SP when you have cyano present in the tank.

I recommend the following for cyanobacteria based on my readings of others success:

At night (lights out).

1mL Coral Snow mixed with 1 drop of Zeobac mixed together in a small container with 100mL tank water - per 25 gallons water. Let it sit in that container for 30 minutes. Then turn your skimmer off and dose the mixed contents in your tank (slowly). Turn skimmer back on in in the morning when you wake up. Do this daily. Your skimmer should be skimming efficiently for the whole day.

In this way you should have more success.

Christine

Thanks Christine, I'll give this a shot. I usually leave the skimmer on running throughout. But if it works, great!

Already stopped SP. Been messing around with the tank a bit too much, so TRYING to hold back a bit.

I think it's on the reducing side.... But I'll have to wait a bit :D

I had tried CS and Bak for quite a while, and it didn't seem to have too much of an effect. Shortly after my conversation with you, I began thinking that something was fundamentally wrong, since I don't feed a whole lot and don't have that many fish.

What I believe helped, was re-tuning my skimmer to run wetter. I also doubled my return flow through the system with a Waveline 10000. I do like those pumps!! Perhaps, the inefficiency of the Bak/CS combo was due to the above mistakes.

I believe I'm slowly approaching ULNS (for the first time!). But just did a due zeolite change, hopefully, the progress continues.

Also, I did add a pic of boring algae on Albert's thread :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, my apologies Kat. Seems that I missed out on your comment.

Thanks for the compliment :D

When starting the system, i really wasn't sure what i'd use that area for. Frag tank, 2nd DT etc.

003.jpg

It's basically a 16x16 inch square partition within the 23x23 inch tank. Water exits the Chaeto area from the front. The koralia then forces the water towards the overflow. Keeps it nice and clean.

Thanks! :D

saltwatercoral
Oops, my apologies Kat. Seems that I missed out on your comment.

Thanks for the compliment :D

When starting the system, i really wasn't sure what i'd use that area for. Frag tank, 2nd DT etc.

003.jpg

It's basically a 16x16 inch square partition within the 23x23 inch tank. Water exits the Chaeto area from the front. The koralia then forces the water towards the overflow. Keeps it nice and clean.

Looks great! It does look nice and clean! I love the idea of a frag tank in the same setup as the DT!

• 2 weeks later...

@Nanotopia

Thanks and still waiting..... :D

@Urbaneks

I'm truly humbled by your words :D

The fish spend most of their time at the deep end.

I did not expect that kind of behavior. I guess it's due to the only pump on the tank, the MP10 being at the end of the flat side, coupled with the fact that I always feed at the deep end.

Would say that their movement is @ 80% deep end, and rest on the flat. Initially, when there were fewer coral and lesser rock work, they would barely venture towards the flat. Much better now.

The Mandarin Goby that hides in there is the exception. Usually on the flat, since he doesn't accept any prepared foods. Have him for 2 years now, but got him too big.

Archived