18 Gallons Sump

Lighting

9 x 18watt DIY LED Strips

Filtration

Royal Exclusiv Vertex Alpha Cone 200

TLF 150 for Carbon

GFO in Filter sock

Hey guys...

Here's my little drop off tank... wish I could have done a larger version, but the wife wouldn't hear of it :D

From the very beginning...

IMG00211-20110609-0158-1.jpg

This was to be an authentic drop off, but scaping this was truly painful, and then I changed my mind and due to circumstances, went to an SPS setup and then.....yet again..

The journey.....

aDSC_6978.jpg

aDSC_6977.jpg

Oh look, changed my mind again :o

018.jpg

My favorite fish

aDSC_6957.jpg

....and then the events that made wanna stop this tank...

1. My precious Multibar Angel died, my mistake. This tank was always associated with this fish and I couldn't see the tank without it.
2. Still tried to persist, got some really nice SPS frags... didn't keep an eye on my RO water... lost half of them.
3. The same RO problem affected my Main Display, a 265G beast, so had my hands full taking care of both...

.... to be continued :mellow:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it. How little is this "little drop off tank" because it looks pretty big.

Oh...as far as the wifey not letting you set up a bigger tank, follow my instructions- this is what you do.

1. Wait till she is in a pretty good mood ( if ever)

2.Wait until she is about to take a long shower.

3. while she is in the shower, sneak into her purse.

4.take back your testicles and go buy your tank.

B)

I love it. How little is this "little drop off tank" because it looks pretty big.

Oh...as far as the wifey not letting you set up a bigger tank, follow my instructions- this is what you do.

B)

Haha. That's kinda what I did. I just told her I'm doing it and there wasn't any stopping me. She agreed and that was that.

Haha. That's kinda what I did. I just told her I'm doing it and there wasn't any stopping me. She agreed and that was that.

Way to go!!!

B)

ROFL, Awesome Idea!!!!! Will use it NEXT time :D

Nah, she's been pretty cool about it. I had a 265 gallon display in the same room at the time, so could understand her point....or lose my testicles....permanently :D

The tanks pretty decent sized, its a bit difficult to define its dimensions though...

2 feet wide

3 1/2 long

and now the fun part,

10 inches tall on the shallow side

15 inches on the deep end

There was a bit of pleading and begging involved and a full explanation, short of a PowerPoint presentation.

But, on the other hand, we now have peace :D

ROFL, Awesome Idea!!!!! Will use it NEXT time :D

Nah, she's been pretty cool about it. I had a 265 gallon display in the same room at the time, so could understand her point....or lose my testicles....permanently :D

The tanks pretty decent sized, its a bit difficult to define its dimensions though...

2 feet wide

3 1/2 long

and now the fun part,

10 inches tall on the shallow side

15 inches on the deep end

Awesome! And Im just playin. We all know a happy wife = a happy life.

Really cool tank!! Is it glass or acrylic? Thats a pretty insane light setup you have going on there :) Kinda wish i had something like that..

Awesome work so far

Ya I also noticed the lighting. Those look like double ended painting lights. Want to clarify on them some?

....and now the story continues....

So after all the crappy events, I was pretty much ready to tear down the tank. It was taking up way too much of my time, and didn't look anywhere near what I envisioned it. Oh, and I had a ton of cyano too.

But then, I changed my mind again, well because, what does one do with all that free time?? ....... Reef?..oh crap, here we go again...

The drop off part of the tank, always irritated me, since it comprised of just 1 foot of the tank's total length, and which made aqua-scaping, very difficult.

I decided to rebuild the entire tank, now for the 3rd time (if you're keeping count), and decided to scrap the SPS plan for the time being, and keep it as simple as possible. (There are still a few sps frags hidden in there :happy: )

Luckily, I was able to use the same stand, with some modifications and a few nervous moments.

The cluttered version...

1102_zps664d2742.jpg

Front view

1096_zps97f3653a.jpg

Frags

1480_zpsae68fb43.jpg

The Drop off with the frag tank below

1098_zpsf655cf21.jpg

and finally, the uncluttered version....which is now cluttered again, thanks to a sickly acan..waiting for it to heal before taking a proper pic

1498_zps439f847a.jpg

Thanks for looking, the journey continues..........

saltwatercoral

Def a great Idea! I love the look of the frag tank being seperate below the DT! What it the filtration? have any pics on that?

Thanks!

I started out with bio-pellets, and surely enough, nutrients dropped. And then somewhere in the midst of all my troubles with SPS & cyano (later realized it was due to the RO unit), I decided to just go old school, with Chaeto and GFO. That meant that I'd lose a lot of space within my frag tank, but things would be ..... more comfortable.

I haven't taken pics of the filtration as yet, will post them in a few hours. Just an oversized skimmer, which really isn't pulling out much at the moment, chaeto, GFO & some carbon.

I don't have much space in my apartment, so the frag tank below just seemed very efficient. It isn't obvious from the pics, but the DT sits about 4 feet off the ground.

Thanks guys :D

Alright, I owe you some pics....

This one's to prove that it really is a weird shaped tank. Note the lack of support in the bottom of the drop off. Made me VERY nervous!

hdr_00026_dark_zps61d2e89f.jpg

The actual Frag Tank/Refugium with Chaeto

hdr_00023_normal_zpsc051dca0.jpg

Another view of the frag tank

hdr_00024_dark_zpse1d4e9fc.jpg

And finally, the over sized skimmer. This was purchased for my 265g, but was at the limit, for some silly reason or the other I concluded that it was inadequate for that tank. Pardon the dirty sump :o

hdr_00025_dark_zps44a4f538.jpg

Oops, forgot the ATO and BM doser...

hdr_00027_dark_zps7a9a65df.jpg

That's pretty much it. Not too complicated.... :unsure:

Lol, the compartment it is in is about 16x16x8 inches, lit by about 30w of Cree NW LED's.

Works pretty good, NO3 test's a 0.00 with the Red Sea Test kits (Low Resolution, accurate!)

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Nikon 3100 back from a friend. Need to learn how to use this!

Here's Harry...........................................................................

.....Potter :P

DSC_0337.jpg

Archived