Pod Your Reef

50 Gallon Kessil A350/Sol Blue LED Reef

Diver35

My Tanks Progress, 12 days after adding 2 kessil a350's, Corals are starting to look amazing again! :)

Full tank

IMG_4243_zpsfb8c9fe7.jpg

Upper Right Side

IMG_4215_zpsa7d30c5a.jpg

Upper Left Side

IMG_4254_zps2c82bcc8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some New Pictures!

Added some new corals over the past three weeks :)

Comments/Questions welcome!

Recordias with Goby

IMG_0957_zps530c1c47.jpg

Bubble Gum Monster Echinophyllia

IMG_0963_zpsed81e9d7.jpg

Purple,Red & Orange Lord

IMG_0972_zps9e999cc5.jpg

New Scolymia!

IMG_4443_zps1e7f2409.jpg

Space Invader

IMG_0998_zps124854a0.jpg

Jaydas Watermelon Echinophyllia

IMG_0965_zpsfe1b5ffa.jpg

New Acro

IMG_0989_zps14bcdcce.jpg

Top Middle Left

IMG_0987_zps85059a96.jpg

Side Shot From The Right Of The Tank

DSC_0029_zps758fd50c.jpg

Full Tank

IMG_0961_zpseb7f13fa.jpg

Your tank is absolutely phenomenal, honestly. It blows my mind to think that your 2 Sol's were not putting out enough light, when i had one on my tank (1/2 that size) i was frying stuff left and right. Anyways nice additions keep the pics coming.

Also that acro with the blue tips, what is it called its gorgeous.

Your tank is absolutely phenomenal, honestly. It blows my mind to think that your 2 Sol's were not putting out enough light, when i had one on my tank (1/2 that size) i was frying stuff left and right. Anyways nice additions keep the pics coming.

Also that acro with the blue tips, what is it called its gorgeous.

Thanks so much! I really do not know what was up with the sol blues... I tried every setting i could think of but nothing ever worked, but the new kessils brought everything back to life and everything is doing great! I do not know what the new acro is, it was a fresh import to my LFS and i am sure the coloring will change. I will keep the pics coming! thanks for you comment!

• 2 weeks later...
Marco Madeira

Hi.. vey nice tank!! :)

I also have one Kessil A350. Are you not having problems with the Lords?? I had 3 lords but they almost melted after I installed the Kessil, just the Echinatas are doing fine.

Any feedback its welcome.

Thanks

Hi.. vey nice tank!! :)

I also have one Kessil A350. Are you not having problems with the Lords?? I had 3 lords but they almost melted after I installed the Kessil, just the Echinatas are doing fine.

Any feedback its welcome.

Thanks

Thanks!

I was actually having problems with my lords under the SOL Blues, none were opening but they were growing. When I received my new Kessils, I moved all the lords to different levels of the tank, I have one frag on the sand, 2 In the middle, one with direct light and one under indirect light and three rite at the top directly under the Kessils. Since the change they now have great polyp extension and look a lot better under the new lighting in all parts of the tank. Sorry to here you are having some problems. I wish i could be more help.

Marco Madeira
Thanks!

I was actually having problems with my lords under the SOL Blues, none were opening but they were growing. When I received my new Kessils, I moved all the lords to different levels of the tank, I have one frag on the sand, 2 In the middle, one with direct light and one under indirect light and three rite at the top directly under the Kessils. Since the change they now have great polyp extension and look a lot better under the new lighting in all parts of the tank. Sorry to here you are having some problems. I wish i could be more help.

Thanks anyway...

They were ok for 2, 3 months but then they started to gain some different colors, kind of white, and melting... they were 26" away from the kessil.

Are you using 100% both channels?

Some New Pictures!

Added some new corals over the past three weeks :)

Comments/Questions welcome!

New Acro

IMG_0989_zps14bcdcce.jpg

Nice acro but is that a gold hammer behind it? If so, branching or wall? Looks awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 12/17/12,

Well ever since getting the Kessil A350's I have decided to start keep SPS corals. I now have 27 Different pieces and all are doing great! The only problem I see is the underside of corals and the parts that do not receive direct light seem to brown. A view from above is another story, great coloration and great polyp extension. I am sorry to say that I have lost 2 of my three red saddled anthias. They were all eating great but seemed to just keep losing weight and eventually disappear :(. I have just bought three randalls anthias which seem to be very healthy and are all eating. Other notes I set up a 28 gallon nano which I have a kessil as the light, though I do keep it on a much bluer setting than my main tank. Here are some new pictures. Let me know what you think comments and suggestions are always welcome.

IMG_4956_zpsf826dc78.jpg

Full Tank Shot 12/17/12

IMG_4949_zps24d3753d.jpg

Golden Rhomboid

IMG_4938_zps6b0960e1.jpg

View from the Left Side

IMG_4913_zpsfee5cd52.jpg

View From the Right Side

IMG_4908_zps8ff6c177.jpg

IMG_4829_zps762376c5.jpg

New Acro, The picture does not do it justice! Crazy blue with red polyps

IMG_4890_zpsa0f6c00b.jpg

Center Bottom, Everything is growing nicely together.

IMG_4872_zps6e36088e.jpg

Top View Center

IMG_4864_zpsea22348d.jpg

Top View Left

IMG_4863_zpsf621895b.jpg

Top View Right

IMG_4852_zpsdae24148.jpg

Scolys

IMG_4849_zpsf14e80af.jpg

Upper Right

IMG_4830_zps23200b79.jpg

New Randalls Anthias

IMG_4821_zps6611bdc1.jpg

New Purple Tort

IMG_4860_zps8013edb7.jpg

Front Shot of Tank.

Thanks for viewing my thread!

jedimasterben
The only problem I see is the underside of corals and the parts that do not receive direct light seem to brown. A view from above is another story, great coloration and great polyp extension.

One of the biggest issues I have with Kessils, as they take point-source lighting to the extreme. You'll also notice corals start growing strange under it and all start growing straight towards the light.

I am sorry to say that I have lost 2 of my three red saddled anthias. They were all eating great but seemed to just keep losing weight and eventually disappear :(. I have just bought three randalls anthias which seem to be very healthy and are all eating.

All anthias need to be fed a bare minimum of three times daily. If you don't, they simply starve to death.

One of the biggest issues I have with Kessils, as they take point-source lighting to the extreme. You'll also notice corals start growing strange under it and all start growing straight towards the light.

All anthias need to be fed a bare minimum of three times daily. If you don't, they simply starve to death.

Yeah they are just getting to the point where they are regaining there original color and growth tips from relocating and adjusting to new light. But too early to really tell the overall growth and growth patterns.

I was feeding my anthias 5-10 times daily, NO JOKE! They were worth the try, Im really sad they did not make it. Some fish are just meant to be in the wild.

Love the tank it looks amazing I'm amazed your not frying everything with all that light my lfs has 2 over a 120g sps tank and it's extremely bright

Love the tank it looks amazing I'm amazed your not frying everything with all that light my lfs has 2 over a 120g sps tank and it's extremely bright

Thanks, I don't know what it is with this tank and the lack of light it seems to get, I was running 2 AI SOL Blues at 100% White, Blue and Royal and my zoanthus at the top of the tank still were not getting enough light. Im running the Kessils at 100% Blue and white and the AI sol Blues at 3% Blue 3% Royal and 7% White for 7hours. Im also running a with a 3 hour ramp, a 1 hour ramp down and a 1.5 hour moon cycle with the AI 's and everything is doing ok so far. All i know is everything looks good and is growing. i am really hoping for good results in coral growth and coral color in the end. If anyone has some suggestions i am willing to experiment with the lighting to try and find the best settings to get the best results.

My New Girl! I walked into my LFS and saw the smallest Lineatus Wrasse I have ever seen. Seeing her took me back 6 years to when I had my prized male who I lost in a major heat wave. At about 1.5" she is a little beauty. She was eating very well and i could not help but get her. About a hour after adding her to the tank, she was roaming around like she had been there for years! The strangest thing is no other fish even cared about her being added to the tank. Not even my purple tang who feels he has to show his dominance to any new fish. My Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse accepted her and was even being less shy the rest of the night! She was eating very well for the few hours she was in the tank while the lights were on. Here are some pictures, I will try to get some better ones this weekend!

Happy Holidays

IMG_5009_zps7610b30b.jpg

IMG_5008_zps741f15ee.jpg

IMG_5007_zps73844288.jpg

IMG_5001_zps995a65c3.jpg

IMG_4997_zpsea3c5290.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

+1 Sweet looking tank looks way bigger then a 50g

Beatiful. Do you have any pics of your equipment under the tank? Just curious :D

Here are some pictures of my sump. My filters include sponges, chemipure, purigen and phosguard in my overflow. All water first goes through a filter sock then through the sump and returned either though filters or to the main tank. I am running a ASM G2 Skimmer, a 25 watt UVS, and a MR1 XL Media reactor which I was running rowaphos but have switched to ECOBAK ULNS pellets just last week. The return pump is a quiet one 5000, I do not really like it its pretty loud and I am looking to replace it in the near future. If you have any questions or recommendations to maximize what I have going I would really like to hear your opinions. Happy Reef Keeping. :)

IMG_5146_zpsaaa58b11.jpg

IMG_5147_zps30d0972d.jpg

IMG_5148_zps6abee963.jpg

IMG_5161_zps655e0340.jpg

IMG_5162_zpsb4ad8e55.jpg

just as clean down under as up top, is that a custom made sump?

any reason you switch the pellets?

Yes its just a basic 20 gallon sump. I customized it myself. I added the dividers and brackets for the filter sock. I have been having major phosphate problems the past few months. I was spending 50-100 a month on rosa phos. It worked but the cost was just to high. I did some research on the ecobak pellets and the reviews look good and decided to give them a try. The only problem is they take 30 days to grow the bacteria so i am doing frequent water changes and feeding a lot less to try and keep the phosphates down. Hopefully i have found a cheaper way to keep my phosphates down. :)

Archived